Can I manually setup MultiDB?

Dear Barry,

Not to confuse my other threads for support on MultiDB, I am opening a new post on a separate topic regarding MultiDB installation.

Because of my prior installation problems regarding the ‘move-blogs.php‘, I would like to know if I can manually setup each database, created the tables and then placed the ‘db-config.php’ into the /wp-content directory?

Is that a possible way of getting around the table copy problem of using ‘move-blogs.php’ and ultimately getting MultiDB to work?

I will be using the 16 database configuration for my setup.

I have the following questions regarding this approach:

1) Do I need to run MultiDB on a dedicated IP? Can it be on a shared IP?
2) Do I actually need to run move-blogs.php?
3) Can I configure db-config.php and place it into wp-content ?
4) How do I assign databases to each child site?
5) How can I test if everything is working properly?

I guess my last question is the most important. I am circumventing the initial installation instructions because of prior install problems, so I’d like a way to test that each database is working with the assigned child site.

Does MultiDB copy each new blog site into the databases in a defined pattern, 0-9, a-f then start over? When I add new child sites, how are they assigned to individual databases. I'd like a way to verify it is working properly.

Is each database linked directly to each child site? Or, is there a master database that directs reads and writes?

Can someone elaborate on how exactly MultiDB works?

• aecnu

Greetings jayvega,

Chiming in here at PC's request and on average I set one of these up around two a week, who is the host and if they are running CPanel or not?

On the other hand I will get busy answering your questions.

Because of my prior installation problems regarding the ‘move-blogs.php‘, I would like to know if I can manually setup each database, created the tables and then placed the ‘db-config.php’ into the /wp-content directory?

Yes that you can manually setup the databases and you must use the move blogs app because it moves the applicable items into the global database and sets it all up to work.

1) Do I need to run MultiDB on a dedicated IP? Can it be on a shared IP?

Dedicated IP is irrelevant for Multi DB.

2) Do I actually need to run move-blogs.php?

Yes

3) Can I configure db-config.php and place it into wp-content ?

Yes and I cannot see why not.

4) How do I assign databases to each child site?

You don't, it is an automatic process from within the scripting. As each site is created it is spread/assigned to one of the databases all on automatic.

5) How can I test if everything is working properly?

When creating a sub site - the sub sites tables will appear in one of the 16 databases and the site works right away without any issues.

Does MultiDB copy each new blog site into the databases in a defined pattern, 0-9, a-f then start over?

Not that I am aware of - it seems to be quite random.

When I add new child sites, how are they assigned to individual databases. I'd like a way to verify it is working properly.

Already explained above.

Can someone elaborate on how exactly MultiDB works?

Though I know it works, though I follow the instructions and it has worked for me every time without fail since I was a regular member, I admit I do not know the inner workings of the scripting itself - that will have to come form Barry if at all which is also beyond the scope of the support we provide here - but PC has already pinged him so there is nothing left for me to do at this point.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.