Can I move sites to its own domain and still be part of the network

I am domain mapping - so I know I can have the site as a set of tables in multi-site --

I have several sites that use plugins that will not work with multi[-site -- can I have them actually on a separate single wp install domain -- and connect it as if it was part of the network ---

• mindset

I read multi-domains plugin but it is not clear so to be clear ----
    Presently I have a sub-site called actioninnetwork.theactionsociety.com and it is domain mapped to http://actioninnetwork.com but the site builder plugin I used to build the site will not work on multi-site ---

so what I want to do is to load the site -- on the actual domain http://actioninnetwork.com rather than the sub-domain actioninnetwork --- yet still have it as part of the network and act just like it is part of the network????

Is that possible and is it easy?

Does it need to be on the same IP address, or can it be on different IP?
    can it be on a different server?

any downside

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mindset,

Hope you're doing well today!

So is it that it won't work with Multisite or won't work on a subdomain?

If the page builder isn't multi-site compatibility, then your only option is to move to a single site, as you can have a single site that is still part of the network.

If it's the subdomain that is the issue then you can map the backend too :slight_smile:

Just go to:

Network admin > Settings > Domain Mapping. Select "mapped domain" for "Administration mapping", now the backend will be mapped to the top level domain instead of using the original subdomain.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mindset,

You could use our Snapshot plugin. Create a snapshot on your single site and then import it into your multisite by uploading it to the /wp-content/uploads/snapshots folder. Once you have placed it there then go to:

Snapshots > Import. from your multisite and just click import - you can leave the field blank. It will find the snapshot you uploaded earlier and import it into your snapshot list. Then you can restore that snapshot to a new subsite on your network :slight_smile:

Keep in mind the migration logic is still beta, although it is late stage beta. This is mentioned during migration. With that said, there is no risk here because you can leave your single site live while you do this - so just make sure the migrated site is functioning correctly before taking your single site offline.

Hope that helps Mindset! Let me know if you have any further questions on that.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mindset,

Ooh, my apologies. I thought from my initial reply that you had decided to put the site back into the network. There is no way to have the single site separate but then mapped into the network.

You could map a domain to a site on the network, but it would still have to be a site in the network.

You can sort of connect multiple single sites using a plugin such as MainWP: https://mainwp.com/

Perhaps you could use mainWP for all your single site installs? Assuming you may have more in the future.

Just to re-iterate, there is no way to map an entire site into the network. Not that I have ever seen. If there is a way to make that happen, it would need to be custom developed for your installs and would likely be a very big job.

If you have any further questions on this just let us know!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mindset,

So just to be sure I know the situation, the site you want to be part of your multisite is in a single site WP install outside the network right? How did you take it out of the network in the first place?

From my understanding you are wanting to keep a site outside of a WPMU network yet have it still act as though it was inside the network? share users, network activated plugins, etc.? This is the one I was referring to not being possible.

Or are you just wanting to map the single site to a subdomain of the network domain? if that is the case then yes that's possible using the CNAME mapping method. You can find instructions on that in the usage guide: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage about 3 quarters of the way down.

You can have a WPMU network install with networks inside of it by using the multi-network plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-multi-network/

Hope this helps! If your situation is still different than above, just let me know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mindset

I took it out of the network with a plugin called cyteclone -- it is an awesome paid cloner plugin. Yuur guys plugin snapshot -- needs a lot of work yet in my opinion --

Yes it would be nice if I could get the single install wp site outside of the network - act as if it was -- sharing users, network updates of the plugins --etc -- but I can probably live with just appearing to be part of the network -- that is not what I wanted to hear -- LOL..

Ok -- If I can tie multiple MU networks together -- why can't one of those networks be a single site -- LOL

What irritates me is that all of these plugin developers do not take MU into consideration - since in my opinion it is the only way to go -- today and in the future and it is a standard part of WP now. It is amazing how many professionals do not even know about it

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mindset,

Ok -- If I can tie multiple MU networks together -- why can't one of those networks be a single site

With that plugin you wouldn't be tying together already existing separate multisites though, you would be turning your 1 multisite into a multi-network site. So it would all happen within the same database, that's the key here. The reason WPMU's subsites all share plugins/users/themes/ etc. is because they all share a database too.

Connecting a separate single site to a multisite would be difficult because you're trying to access information from an outside database, and not only access it but then sync with it too.

I'm not sure which plugins you're referring to here, but I'm thinking it would be easier to get a developer to make the plugins MU compatible than it would be to connect a single site with a multisite.

Or as mentioned, just using the CNAME mapping to map a subdomain and give the look of it being in the network :slight_smile:

I agree btw, ever since I found WordPress Multisite I barely ever use single sites. Of course, that could be because I work here and most of our plugins are MU compatible so I do a lot of testing on MU, but either way - multisite is awesome! lol

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.