Can I only have one master site?

On my sites I want:

People not to be able to sign up to the main site but only on one subsite. However my main site has content on it for all sites

I thought I could use this plugin to sync users from the subsites to the main site and not create any subscriptions on the main site. However it seems the subsite can only have one master. is that right?

• Peter

Ah ok, people can only become members of the subsites but I have content that is for all the sites since I cant sync this content with all the sites as new things will always be added to it I thought I could just make the subsite members become members of the main site also and put the content for all sites on there. Is there a way to do this?

I have tested this plugin with http://www.networkassocition.co.uk and ttia.networkassociation.co.uk I have tried both ways of making one a sub and the other a master but t doesn't seem to work, the subsite member from ttia.networkassociation.co.uk cant access protected content from http://www.networkassociation.co.uk

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again Peter,

I just took a look at your site, it's a multisite. As you'll note from the project page, this is not a multisite plugin. Screenshot attached.

In Multisite a user has a pseudo subscriber role on all sites, if you want to give them a physical role there is a plugin that Mika aka Ipstenu made:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/join-my-multisite/

It's a really cool little plugin! :slight_smile:

Hopefully that will do what you need. :slight_smile:

Is your protected content done by role? Is it our Protected Content plugin?

Protected Content doesn't yet have a network wide protection option like our Membership plugin does, it's coming in a future version though. No eta as of yet.

Take care.

• Peter

O ok sorry I misunderstood I thought I could sync users from any sites.

The aim is to:
    1. Allow users to sign upto one subsite but not the main site. They then have tp pay again to become a member of another subsite
    2. When they become a subsite member that's when they become a member of the main site to in order to access that content

Does that plugin you mention allow that situation?

No I am using membership pro, have I set it up wrong to achieve the above situation?

Kind regards

Peter

• Peter

Hi

I have worked it out. I have switched to protected content and on the subsites set up memberships as standard members and on the main site set up a default membership. so when they click on content links from the subsite the main site sees them as logged in and allows them to view the content. They cant see content from other subsites without being signed in, it works perfect :slight_smile: thank you for your help

There is one issue it seems that when people register they can view protected content before paying? I have set up memberships with the "Allow users to register for this membership" ticked and unticked but it hasn't made a difference. I want people to pay before seeing the content

Kind regards

Peter

• Timothy Bowers

Awesome! :slight_smile:

There is one issue it seems that when people register they can view protected content before paying? I have set up memberships with the "Allow users to register for this membership" ticked and unticked but it hasn't made a difference. I want people to pay before seeing the content

Have you created your Levels, and protected those pages, categories, etc?

And assigned to whatever level requires the payment?

Looking at your sites, I see on the smallbusiness one for example you have both Membership and Protected Content. I wouldn't use both at once, conflicting rules could cause you some headaches are they both try to protect.

I guess in Membership you're using the Default Subscription For Registered Users.

Protected Content has a similar feature, you can create a Default Membership for registered users and a Guest Membership for those logged out.

If you want them to pay, you would use the This is a paid membership check box. You can find those from the membership creation page:

Admin --> Protected Content --> Memberships --> Create New Membership [Button]

The plugin from Ipstenu adds them a role once they register through your premium site, and then visit the subsite. I hope this making sense. :slight_smile:

Currently though, if they expire on the premium site, they still have a role on the subsite, so they'd still see the content.

A future feature we're planning is to be able to use Protected Content network wide, so rather than protecting per site, it would protect all sites. I'm now thinking that might be where you are wanting to head?

If it is, the closest you can get now is as I described above, with Mika's plugin, and charging from one site. With some custom code (you'd need to consider a developer) you could do it so that the other plugin (or a third plugin) checks the DB of the premium site, if subscription exists, it adds as member to other sub site, if it doesn't it removes as member if there there previously.

Hopefully this is giving you some ideas, or maybe even better, achieving what you need without anything custom or waiting for that future feature.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.