Can I Prevent Cloner for Cloning Widgets?

Hi,

I'd like to clone just the "Posts" and "Users" from one subsite on my multiste to another subsite.

However when attempting this, the cloning process also clones the widgets which messes up the layoutof the destination site.

I've looked in the cloner settings and there's no checkbox for widgets. Is there a way to clone sites without cloning the widgets?

Thanks

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hello Rone,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I just tested it on my own site but could not replicate this issue. I checked just "Posts" and "Users" in Network Dashboard -> Settings -> Cloner and then cloned one subsite to an existing subsite but got no widgets cloned there (I briefly added a text widget for testing).

Please make sure you have "Settings" option unchecked from Network Dashboard -> Settings -> Cloner as seen in attached screenshot.

Hope that helps! If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to post a reply here.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Rone
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Sajid.

My cloner settings match those in your screenshot.

When initiating the cloning process I get two different processing screens.

The first says "Copying Widgets" then the process refreshes and the second screen I see proceeds to clone the users and posts like I originally wanted.

Once done, the users and posts are copied fine, but the site widgets are completely undone.

• Rone

I should also mention that I am using iThemes Builder which centers around using modular widget areas to build out page layouts...The content in the framework's widgets pulls from a custom post type called "Widget Content" but I figured that shouldn't be an issue since I didn't check custom post types in the cloner settings.

Still, perhaps there is a compatibility issue with that theme framework and not cloning the "Widget Content" post type?

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hello Rone :slight_smile:

On my end, it does say "Copying Widgets" while cloning but does not refresh the page neither copies the widgets.

That could be a conflict, could you please disable that theme/plugin and then try cloning again to make sure its a conflict or not ? You can find more details about conflict test here.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Rone

Thanks Sajid,

As I'm working in a deadline I've moved on to other methods of transferring subsite users and posts between one another (namely WordPress Importer & Snapshot).

While I wouldn't necessarily consider this issue resolved (I think there are some definite conflicts between iThmese Framework and Cloner), please feel to close this. Thanks again for the excellent support. :slight_smile:

PS - Totally forgot I wrote the post below years ago and had run into similar issues with Cloner. Looks like some of those things still hold true for Cloner and I forgot to take my own written advice from those initial findings. lol. Cheers!

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/tale-of-the-cloning-tape-cloner-vs-snapshot

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hello Rone,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am sorry for delay on this ticket. Thank you so much for sharing the tale, I mean post on cloner plugin :smile:. I am passing it along to developer so the remaining points could be considered.

If you need further assistance and want me to further investigate this issue then please don't hesitate to post a reply, always happy to help!

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.