Can I provide support for sites outside my own installation with the Support System plugin?

I just bought a WPMUdev subscription, mostly to get the Support System plugin to support the users of sites I create. However, many of the client sites are not on my servers – can I integrate it with those sites as well?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @calle

Welcome to the forums!

The plugin is designed to work on multisite WP installations, so admins of subsites can access the system.

So, you basically have 2 solutions:

1. Install the plugin on your client’s sites (not very practical, I’ll admit), or…

2. Provide them with login credentials for the site on which you have installed the plugin.

If you go for the 2nd option, you can manually add them as users to the site where you have the support system installed, and simply add a link on each of your client’s dashboards that directs them to your support page.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• calle
    • Flash Drive

@patrick thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:

Is there a way I can hook into this and develop my own plugin to communicate with the Support System, such as with XML-RPC or other?

(the ‘manually’ option always makes me cringe – better to use good tools or develop them instead of taking up valuable time)

Also, how does this work – does the Support System plugin require that each user has a blog on a multisite installation, or just an account?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @calle

Is there a way I can hook into this and develop my own plugin to communicate with the Support System, such as with XML-RPC or other?

The answer to that question is beyond my expertise and, unfortunately, outside the scope of the support that we can provide here, but we do indeed try to help whenever we can and if we know the answer will respond regardless.

Alternatively you could see if there’s a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute. Or approach someone like Tweaky.

I could flag the plugin dev to see if he can provide some insight, but that may take some time as the dev team is quite busy building some new goodies. :slight_smile:

Also, how does this work – does the Support System plugin require that each user has a blog on a multisite installation, or just an account?

All they need is access to the system in your sites admin, so just a user account would suffice.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

As it’s been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I’d check in to see how you’re going?

If you’re still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

Cheers!

Tom

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.