Can I put widgets in the feature area?

I'm new to wordpress in general, so I apologize if this is obvious. I'd like to put some widgets in the 'feature' areas. Perhaps logged in users, or recent blog posts. But it seems I only have the option to put widgets in the sidebar or the very bottom footer.

Is this possible? Perhaps with shortcodes?

• DavidM

Hi SJoAnneF,

No worry about asking questions here, even if they've been asked, that's what we're here for! :slight_smile:

To get widgets in other areas than the theme specifies, you'll have to alter the theme's template files. The following article over at BuddyDress goes through the process of adding widget areas and is quite easy to follow (though we'll need to work on getting the video back up and running).
    http://buddydress.com/2010/04/add-a-widget-anywhere-in-3-simple-steps/

In this particular case, it could get a bit extensive, but I'll have a look at that. Are you trying to replace the featured section itself?

-David

• Philip John

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this thread as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and, as always, for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!
    Phil

• tokyoterri

Hi Folks:

I'm having the same problem: I need to add widget areas to various parts of the front page of this site I'm building for a non-profit: http://few.modernmediajapan.com/

I'm sorry: I tried reading through the instructions on BuddyDress; it would be a great help if the instructions focused on the sections under the slider in Studio, rather on adding a widget to a sidebar, which is fairly easy to isolate.

For example, here's where I am now in trying to follow those instructions. I'm using Studio Child, so:
    1. I copied home.php from Studio and put it in the Child folder and kept the name 'home' because I presume it will get called before the parent theme does, so there shouldn't be a conflict.

2. What I see in the home.php file is:

<?php get_header() ?>
    <div id="homepage"><!-- start #homepage-->
    	<?php
    		$slideshow = get_option('dev_studio_slideshow');
    			if ($slideshow == "yes"){
    				locate_template( array( '/library/components/slideshow.php' ), true );
    			}
    			else{
    			}
    	?>
    	<?php
    		$featurecontent_on = get_option('dev_studio_feature_show');
    		if ($featurecontent_on == "yes"){
    ?>
    		<?php locate_template( array( '/library/components/feature-content.php' ), true ); ?>
    <?php } ?>
    </div><!-- end #homepage -->
    <?php get_footer() ?>

3. I'm going to guess (and it's only a guess as this doesn't look like the sidebar.php example) that perhaps putting the widget code after the feature content section and before the locate template section might work.

4. Or, if that doesn't work, I guess I will try putting the widget code into the feature content sentences before the div ends. Not sure...

Then I move to the functions.php part of the tutorial.

5. There's almost no code at all in the Studio Child functions.php, so the only thing that comes to mind is to copy the code where home is 'declared' in the parent theme functions.php file. But I'm at a loss: I can't seem to figure out where that could be in this mass of code, although, ironically, I do see where the sidebars are declared.

I'll admit that I'm a bit spoiled as I came from iThemes where customizing the layout/widgets is built into the themes, but their themes aren't as perfect for what I need for my client as yours are, plus they don't support Buddypress, so I chose Studio. I hope that there's a simple solution that I'm just not seeing. If it can work it will be a vast improvement on the client's current site (which is built in Expression Engine)

If you can clarify what I'm doing wrong, I would so appreciate it: hopefully soon, as this is my last big hurdle before the deadline...

Thanks so much!

best,
    Terri

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.