Can I Replace WooCommerce with MarketPress?

I have a client that is using WooCommerce. But I've had some frustrations... for example, there is no simple (i.e. no hacks... I'm trying to not do any custom coding so that it is easy to keep up on upgrades) way of customizing what is displayed and how for a product page. It's pretty much hard-coded... I just want to put the brand name beside the product and I can't even do that.

So I have a couple questions...

First of all, do I want to? Is MarketPress AT LEAST as good as WooCommerce? (I'm guessing it is, since WPMUDev is simply awesome!) Does it allow one to do customizations such as determine what is displayed on the product page? I'm amazed... seems like "Edit Product Page" would be a no-brainer function... but it's not in WooCommerce... FAIL!!!

Second, is it possible? If I go and disable the WooCommerce plugin (it is a Woo theme) and activate MarketPress, will it still play nicely with the WooTheme? Or am I asking for a headache by doing this?

Thanks guys so much... I'm SO IMPRESSED with WPMUDev and this forum as well. I actually get ANSWERS here! Woo sucks. No one seems to care about support there... but here, it's like a community of friends!

• aecnu

Greetings warpedmind,

Thank you for the feedback and the compliments, they are both greatly appreciated and we are happy to have you here with us.

First of all, do I want to? Is MarketPress AT LEAST as good as WooCommerce?

I cannot honestly answer this question due to the fact that I have never used WooCommerce, but from your description it sounds like a nightmare and therefore I am happy that I have not had to deal with it.

With that said I will answer the remainder of your questions.

Does it allow one to do customizations such as determine what is displayed on the product page? I'm amazed... seems like "Edit Product Page" would be a no-brainer function... but it's not in WooCommerce... FAIL!!!

Absolutely! To Market Press products, to include their titles and descriptions, are similar as any other WordPress post in which are edited through the Visual/HTML editor.

If I go and disable the WooCommerce plugin (it is a Woo theme) and activate MarketPress, will it still play nicely with the WooTheme? Or am I asking for a headache by doing this?

This is an unknown. Market Press has a separate theme option FrameMarket/GridMarket but can be integrated into almost any theme using the vast assortment of supplied shortcuts.

I hope this helps and thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• youritguy

Hey warpedmind - I am in your EXACT same predicament, and I see you went through this around 5 months ago. I am also using a Woothemes Theme and currently WooCommerce, but it seems that Marketpress would be much better for selling digital goods. What was your overall decision between Marketpress VS WooCommerce and what made you go either way? Anything particularly more secure or better functionality/ design than the other?

Thanks!

• nguyentrongthach

everyone can to consult with articles:
    - WooCommerce Multi-site Shopping Cart Feature
    - The Best WordPress Shopping Cart and Ecommerce Plugin
    - MarketPress — Shopping Cart Review

MarketPress is a very clean and professional shopping cart plugin for WordPress by WPMU DEV. What I like most about it is the quality of integration with WordPress. Like other WPMU DEV products, this one feels as if it were developed by the makers of WordPress themselves.
    Installation of MarketPress is easy, simply upload and activate. There are no add-ons or unnecessary configurations to worry about.
    MarketPress is one of the most well integrated shopping cart plugins for WordPress. It uses the latest WordPress API to the fullest extent. It doesn’t create extra tables for products, product categories, or product tags. Instead, it utilizes WordPress’ custom post types and taxonomies. What this means for the end user is better performance and future extensibility.

MarketPress shipping and tax management is not as flexible as some of the other plugins.

MarketPress is intended for shops that operate within a single state. So, you specify a single tax rate for all your orders, regardless of where they’ll ship.

Who’s Using It

MarketPress is currently powering many small online stores.

• warpedmind

Hi guys!

So sorry I disappeared. I've been soooooo crazy busy. Thanks for the followup aecnu. My apologies.

YourITGuy, I am 99% sure I'm going with WooCommerce for my particular site "for now". The reason is simply because I bought a theme that has WooCommerce incorporated, so I'll be able to implement it hopefully quickly.

That said, I'd rather use MarketPress, just because I feel the support is better. However I have some concerns...

1. If I use a theme that is already optimized for Woo, can I decide to use MarketPress instead? How much work will be required? I don't really know what exactly goes into implementing ecommerce into a theme. I know it's "out of the box"... but that doesn't always seem to work as wonderful as it sounds it should.
    2. Previous post said:

MarketPress shipping and tax management is not as flexible as some of the other plugins. MarketPress is intended for shops that operate within a single state. So, you specify a single tax rate for all your orders, regardless of where they’ll ship.
    Are identified shortcomings like this being worked on? My fear is committing to an ecommerce system that is not constantly being improved on or getting new features. I'm weary because, even after all this time, MarketPress is relatively unknown and unreviewed in comparison with Woo.

Again, I'm partial to anything WPMUDev... I'd really love to choose to go with MarketPress... but I still need some convincing. (And I WANT to be convinced... I really want to use it if it's right) I mean the whole "start your own etsy" claim is something I'd really like to do... but I'm not really sure what MarketPress is currently capable of doing and what features are slated for the near future.

WPMUDev support... any thoughts?

Thanks.

"

• aecnu

Greetings warpedmind,

Thank you for your additional input and questions, which are certainly appreciated and hopefully I can offer some clarification.

1. If I use a theme that is already optimized for Woo, can I decide to use MarketPress instead? How much work will be required?

I would love to give a pie in the sky answer to this question but there is no way for me to know this without knowing the theme. Then I would have a chance to knwo what it takes to integrate it using the out of the box concept.

you specify a single tax rate for all your orders, regardless of where they’ll ship.

This is true that since there is no sales tax rate on businesses that are in a single state (US) or incorporated within a single state shipping to another state (US) according to the last I knew and the interstate commerce law - so whats the point?

Companies/Stores that are incorporated in multiple states would obviously have no problem or lack the resources to having a coder implement the sales tax for the states that they must collect sales tax within and exempting those that sales tax collection is not required.

Therefore it is true that if the store is small then the requirement of more then one state is a moot point and if they are bigger they could use a custom coded solution for the states in which they have a physical presence and/or have incorporated within.

In addition, if in an Etsy type situation for example, a merchant did not collect the required sales tax, it is the customers responsibility to indeed submit that tax to the applicable authority.

Please consult a tax Attorney or tax authority to see what your multiple state requirements are.

Thoughts on what is in store for the future are not comment-able by the support staff and only by the lead developers and the developer team. However, company policy says that until an update is released, these features are not solid and no dates for release are to be given.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Yasin,

Hope you're well today! Thanks for sharing the comparison :slight_smile:

If your having any issues however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

Posting on old threads can also lead to us missing your questions.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original thread starter

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for you.

If the current thread is relevant then please feel free to link back to this in your new one.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.