Can I resell wpmu plugins and themes to clients?

Hi,
I subscribed to the wpmudev membership and wonder if the license allows me to resell plugins and themes to my clients ?

• Tom Eagles

Hi botta

many thanks for that question, it does come up a lot.

You are free to include them as part of a chargeable service for example in a multisite network where for example prosites was installed and your users were paying for a premium level where the plugins were included. The main thing to remember here is that all credits must remain in the plugins/themes which is a requirement of the GPL license.

Hope this answers you question, if not feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Have a great weekend.

Tom

• Tom Eagles

Hi there sorry for the delay, i was off work yetsreday wasnt feeling too good.

Ok so to clarify this.

The GPL generously provides the flexibility to allow others to profit from our products without restriction, but it is only the code that is GPL licensed, So essentially they couldn't use the product name, any images, logo's or other parts of the plugins/ themes not covered by the GPL as these are trademarked . Any manuals or documentation are also not covered by the GPL.

A key thing also to remember is that one of the requirements of the GPL is that all credits must be retained within the documentation such as readme's and code.

We actively pursue any infringement of our branding and trademarks through legal means, the initial step would be a ban on the members account and then followed by other legal measures. This would obviously mean that the member would have no access to support and upgrades.

The other thing to remember is that supporting this would be a nightmare for one individual, we have a team of over 40 staff working round the clock on this.That's the main reason our prices are what they are.

I hope this clears this up a bit for you.

• Jaxom

Hi Andrew
    See if this Helps.
    I am a member of WPMUDEV and supply my clients with there plugins and I charge for this service. As long as I don't change anything in the plugin, I don't say it's mine, I don't re-brand it and I don't remove or rewrite the plugin to hide the fact it was written and released by WPMUDEV I can run my business happily. I have happy clients, WPMUDEV are Happy and we all work well together.

Now if I take say WP Smush, re-brand it Jaxom's-Image-Smusher, remove any documentation, images, code and any core code that says it was written by WPMUDEV and then sell it to my clients, WPMUDEV will cancel my membership and there legal team will crawl down my cat cable and bury me in paper work and lawsuits.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.