Can i setup multi site on Sub-Domains if I have 2 existing domains

This may be a repeat of a question someone has already asked.

I am looking to setup a multisite using the sub-domain option , however we have 2 sub domains we use for some other projects. Will creating a wild card sub domain impact those sub domains.

Just spoke to the hosting provider and they say it wont effect . Anyone tried and tested?

• Sajid

Hi KrazySage,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

In my case, I could not use the old subdomains created on my hosting after switching to multisite subdomain setup and configuring the wildcard subdomain record.

As soon as I try to access the old sub-domain it redirects me to wp-signup.php page with to create a new subsite.

Here is the subdomain I had before and here is a new one I just created in cPanel. Both are being redirecting to signup page. I am also including the screenshot of my cPanel setup.

So, I am not sure how your hosting company said that it can be done. May be there needs a code to be added in .htaccess file ? But its still better check with your hosting and ask them how is it possible.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• KrazySage

Hi Sajid,

Thank you for the response.

I agree this would be an issue, however in my case, I am migrating from old hosting provider to the present one.

So the sub domains are setup on that hosting, while I moved the primary domain to the new hosting, I still kept those sub domains to migrate at a later date. To enable this I had set up A records for these sub domains pointing back to the old IP. So when the sub domains are called, they are routing back to that IP and not conflicting here. I hope this makes sense.

I know this is temporary and I would have to find a permanent solution, for which I may just buy a simple domain name and migrate these sub domain names there.

I have successfully added the WPMU multisite plugins.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.