Can I track order from specific affiliates with marketpress and affiliates plugin

So once I start getting sales both from affiliates and directly through my site.

A niffty feature for example would be to be able to see an affiliate individual orders.

Is something similar possible ?

Thanks

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @Kader

Yah, that would be a handy feature to add to the integration, wouldn't it?

I'll move this topic to the Features & Feedback forum to give it more exposure in the community.

The more support a feature request gets, the more likely we are to begin work on developing it.

:slight_smile:

• Kader
    • Flash Drive

Hi @Patrick,

How does your application manages returns ?
    If I receive an order but the client change his/her mind after the payement, and I need to rembourse her, with both solutions, marketpress and affiliate, How can I tell if that sell came from an affiliate or my site ?

Thanks

• Kader
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for your answer Patrick.

This feature is kind of important, I do not think that this is a "nice to have", it's an integral part of what an affiliate system ought to do, don;t you think ?

I have a few question following your reply
    Do you have an ETA on this feature ?
    And also what are my option, do you offer customization ?

Regards,

Kader M.

• Kader
    • Flash Drive

Thanks Patrick,

Hi Paul,

Right now I have both marketpress and affiliate on my website. (2 separate accounts).
    I know that the affiliate plugin must not be a top priority. But from my perspective, these solutions which I chose based on their synergy, aren't working for me.

Both legally speaking, and simply for productivity (I am required by law to be able to track orders)

Every time I receive a paypal confirmation, I need to log in to see if the order comes from the affiliate (assuming I can access my backend at that perticular moment, and that I remember how many paid member they had last time) and if it does, log that info in an excel.

It can work with a low #of orders and/or low # of affiliates.
    But it will quickly become unmanageable.

I'm completely open to any solutions you might offer, but I need a solution to my predicament. I would rather not change systems as already spent time and money on integrating this.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, and I'm looking forward to your response.

Kader M.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

Thanks for the details. I understand it is important and yes this is a priority somewhat. I can see your point on the integration with MarketPress and would say there is just as much accountability for collection points for signup. Just as you pointed out with returned or cancelations on purchased it would have the same effect on fake signups that are cancelled shortly after just to build up some affiliate revenue. I don't have a quick answer on these, sorry.

Both legally speaking, and simply for productivity (I am required by law to be able to track orders)

I would like to know more about your comment above. Required by law?

• Kader
    • Flash Drive

@Paul,

About the legal part :
    It is our responsibility to make sure that all our orders are tracked and if we have an argument about a specific payment to an affiliate, we need to have all the data.

I didn't understand you're last input though.
    Fake paid member ? I'm not sure I follow. This is not an issue for me (unless i'm missing something)

Right now the system counts if an order has been processed, and it increments the paid member. What is the integration with marketpress, where is the advantage of having marketpress ?

As of now we just started opening the affiliate program and we have 1 active affiliate. Someone else has shown interest and to be honest I cannot offer it to them yet. I cannot have affiliates, with an affiliate plugin..

Can you help me in any way ?

Regards,

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader

I didn't understand you're last input though.

Don't worry about it. It was on my list of concerns about users gaming the affiliate system. We have seen this from other members. Basically, assume I'm an affiliate on your system. I get a high percentage of orders placed within your system. So to get some revenue I get some buddy to click affiliate linked banners on my own site which forward them to your site where they make a purchase. Then turn around and cancel the order. As you have pointed out the cancelation is no tracked. So the affiliate (me) gets money for nothing really.

What is the integration with marketpress, where is the advantage of having marketpress ?

I'm not sure I follow your question. MarketPress is an eCommerce tool. So I'm assuming you installed it if you have products that can be purchased. How Affiliate and MarketPress work together is purchases will be counted into a bucket for the period. At the end of the period you can pay your affiliates based on referred purchases.

I cannot have affiliates, with an affiliate plugin..

I'm now totally confused.

• Kader
    • Flash Drive

@Paul

Sorry to confuse.

Here's a clutter free assessment of my situation

By not having a minimum amount of detail on the affiliate paid members, it means that I cannot operate with this affiliate plugin as it is without a lot of extra work and most importantly, this becomes unmanageable (impossible to work with) as soon as you have multiples affiliates.

A possible solution I think would be to have the paid member # in the report clickable, and once you click there, you could access each paid order # (pulled from marketpress) order by date.

I am willing to pay for customization as I stated earlier if you don;t have any eta on this. Because I need to be able to offer the affiliate program to more than 1 affiliate and I need to be able to track orders so I can justify why they didnt receive the same payement as whats written in their reports (returns etc)

Thanks !

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

A possible solution I think would be to have the paid member # in the report clickable, and once you click there, you could access each paid order # (pulled from marketpress) order by date.

I can't provide that at current. Mainly because that screen code is somewhat ugly. But maybe something on the MarketPress order detail screen. So here is something I've been working on for today. See screenshot.

Also, will be adding a similar listing on the user profile which will show all transactions not just MarketPress order. Though have some concerns about filtering by period. I'll get over that hurdle.

• Kader
    • Flash Drive

@Paul

Sorry for the delay in my response, I had to step away.

So from your screenshot I understand that every order would be tagged to a specific affiliate. So at the end of the month when we issue a check all we have to know is if we had a return, we just go down the order see if it was refereed or not.

It gives me access to know which customer came from which affiliate

Though have some concerns about filtering by period. I'll get over that hurdle.

This is excellent !

I am very grateful that you took time to address my issue, I think that it makes it possible for me to have multiple affiliates and have traceability !

How can we proceed from there ?

Thank you !

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

That was just on the order details screen. I've since been adding more code to the Affiliate Referrals output. Here is another screenshot.

as noted on the screenshot this will link to the user's profile where I've added a new section to show the Affiliate transactions. See next screenshot. Obviously the numbers to not yet match. But you get the general idea.

How can we proceed from there ?

Well I'm working as fast as I can to get this all coded up. So nothing really for you to to at this point but wait on me to finish. Hope to have a beta for you in the next day or so. I'm adding 'transactional' functionality. Meaning the current plugins does not really track non-purchase things like referral links. They are just added to the total in the database. So I figured if I'm going to go off in this direction it all needs to be recorded.

And correct if you have to deal with a return or refund you can then check the order detail to see if this is associated with an affiliate.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

One other thing. This is a new questions not really related to the current thread. But related to Affiliate and MarketPress.

And I should preface this with I'm not the original developer of the plugin but have inherited it from the previous developer who left the company.

When I'm testing with Affiliate and MarketPress I noticed it when I'm going through the checkout process it will trigger a signup action where Affiliate increments the 'Sign ups' count shown on the Affiliate Reports page.

This is strange for me since on my own setup I'm using the manual payment processing and not creating a new WP user as part of the process.

Wanted to get your thoughts on this? I personally think this is wrong. We should only be tracking signups when a new actually signs up for a new WP user account. Either via MarketPress or Membership or some other method.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

Thanks for the reminder. Have been working on changes since last week spoke last week non stop. Lots of changes to make. and some damn ugly code left by the previous developer. I'm supposed to kick a beta to my project manager this afternoon. He will review and run some tests. Then I'll be given the green light to pass on to you for testing. So should be in the next day or so.

Will post back in 24 hours either way.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

Thanks. We try.

Wanted to offer a couple of updated screenshots. In my previous screenshot when clicking on the period link it brought you to the user profile. This was redone. Now you are kept on the same manage affiliate screen just showing a different view of that table. While keeping the graph and three forms in the lower right in place. See image. and you will notice a link above the listing to return to the affiliate summary display.

Also, I've added a 'Balance' column to the other screens. Might have been just me but seems this was needed. So balance is Credit (affiliate income) - debit - previous payments = balance due. See second screen.

Note the totals in the summary vs. details will not match as I've been playing with the coding and testing. But in a real system they will match.

• Cindy
    • Flash Drive

Hi Paul,
    This post is almost two years old now. Is there a solution built into the plugins (marketpress and affiliate) for telling if the sale came from an affiliate or my site, for the purpose of reinbmursement?
    Thanks,
    Cindy

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Cindy,

The thread this reply is coming from is only 1 month old. You can see the replies I made with images showing the changes we are working on

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/can-i-track-order-from-specific-affiliates-with-marketpress-and-affiliates-plugin#post-559986

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/can-i-track-order-from-specific-affiliates-with-marketpress-and-affiliates-plugin#post-560125

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/can-i-track-order-from-specific-affiliates-with-marketpress-and-affiliates-plugin#post-563875

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

At the moment no. But I do have plans to do something different with the rates. My thought is you should be able to set the default global rate within the integrated plugin. So for example in MarketPress set a default percentage or flat rate. Heck even set a few levels. If the order total is between X and Y then Affiliate gets Z.

But I also see having logic within the Affiliate plugin itself. Where you can setup different rules for different types of affiliates.

Still thinking on that concept for the next round of changes. Trying to get this current round tested to the satisfaction of my internal group. Slow with the holidays.

• Kader
    • Flash Drive

Thanks @Paul.

It is good that you are improving this plugin.
    I will hold my tongue for now and wish you happy holidays (or christmas, whichever you prefer). It is still too soon, and maybe you will finish before :wink:

Regards,

Kader M.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

Tell you what. Use the Contact us link at the bottom. On the contact form select the 'I have a different question' on the dropdown. Then in the body reference this thread and my name and I'll reply back with a link to the beta. I don't want to post it public because I don't want alot of users downloading it.

And remember it is still beta

• Kader
    • Flash Drive

Hi @Paul,

I was away for a while from this project due to unforeseen circumstances.
    Thank your for the beta offer, but I need a functional version as I would be deploying this on a live server.

How's the version going ?

Thanks,

Kader M.

• Kader
    • Flash Drive

@Paul,

It might be a very noob question, but I have this :
    There is a new version of Affiliate available. View version 3.1.5.1 details. Automatic update is unavailable for this plugin.

There is a new version of WPMU DEV Dashboard available. View version 3.4.1 details. Automatic update is unavailable for this plugin.

• Kader
    • Flash Drive

Plugin failed to reactivate due to a fatal error.

Fatal error: Call to a member function get_var() on a non-object in /home/MYUSER/public_html/wp-content/plugins/affiliate/affiliateincludes/classes/affiliateadmin.php on line 175

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

No. I see the error. What is puzzling is this this is a somewhat obvious error. Surprised it has not been reported in the last month since 3.1.5 was released.

Sit tight. Going to do a quick check and release a 3.1.5.2 version to fix that.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

I just test on my own site with a clean database and the latest version of Affiliate. I ran a test order through market press and then marked it as paid. I'm getting a correct date. See first image

Can you check the database table wp_affiliaterecords there is a timestamp column where the date is recorded. See second image

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

Here's the date of one of the order (see attachment)

It could be that the old order record does not have a date since that record is written to the wp_affiliaterecords table when the order is set the 'paid'.

Also I saw a unique type referral once I clicked on the jan month link.

Correct, this is new. When the non-affiliate user clicks the affiliate link on the remote site and is brought into the affiliate site we are settings a cookie in the user browser. We are also now recording the event.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

Well it is a slight issue in that I need to consider that legacy data and maybe source the date from MarketPress orders is it is blank in the affiliate transaction. So thanks for helping catch that bug.

We are continuing to work on change to the Affiliate plugin. The code is somewhat ugly so have been spending too much time cleaning up logic in order to move forward.

If you have ANY issues or for that matter ANY suggestions please don't hesitate to post them to a new thread so we can review.

Current on my list of immediate enhancements is Multi-Affiliate system. Letting each sub-site within a Multisite system run their own affiliate system. Then maybe have some way to let the primary site get a percentage of the income. Very Multi-Level-Marketing.

Also on the MarketPress adding more options to affiliate payment options. Maybe have something specific for individual products. Something allowing you to set a date/time range for a specific product. If the user orders that product within that date/time range the commission is different than the normal rate. Also for MarketPress some way to show 'pending' orders via the affiliate report. At least so the affiliate user can see the potential. Then again most orders placed are 'paid' immediately.

Just some thoughts. Again, thanks for the suggestion on the order integration.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

Well the long URL display issue I can try and fix. But having the URL coming from Yahoo might be valid depending on your setup.

Are you allowing your users to user unverified URLs? See image.

Basically, on their affiliate setup they can use the special secret http://www.somesite.com/ref=12345568 URL. Or they can enter in a custom URL. Which when used sets the affiliate plugin such that any incoming link from that URL is considered that user's affiliate link.

Now the tricky part. There is a define() used as part of the affiliate. The define is

define('AFFILIATE_VALIDATE_REFERRER_URLS','no');

If not set in your wp-config.php then it defaults to 'no' and I feel this is dangerous since it lets an affiliate user use Facebook, google or any massive system. If the define is set to 'yes' in your wp-config.php then it will force the user to verify they have control of the site. If you are familiar with the Google Analytics or other tools basically the user needs to set a secret file in the root of the remote site to verify they have control if it.

• Kader
    • Flash Drive

Hi @Paul,

I implemented the define and got the affiliate to validate their website. They are using the ?ref=ID
    Now I got some weird tracking (see jpg attached)

What's a referral without any url ? https ?

Regards,

Kader M.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

What's a referral without any url ? https ?

Hmm. Good question. Technically this is recorded when the user first arrives at the site. It grabs the referrer link and should not be blank. But then again if the user used the link in something like an email I wonder if it records as a valid referral. will need to test on my end. That part of the plugin logic is still from the original developer.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

Just tested that myself. Send myself an email and once clicked (I also had Affiliate debug enabled) it registered as a valid affiliate referral link. And in the report details just shows Referral without the actual link.

So I guess these are valid. But will probably be adding a setting to disable blind referrer links globally and/or by user.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Kader,

I guess I'm confused. I replied to that question (see my previous reply) and you replied Thanks. So I assumed it was a closed topic. Give me some details on your setup.

There are some secret defines used by the plugin implemented by the previous developers.

1. AFFILIATE_CHECKALL - If set to 'yes' will all incoming referral links to any url of the site not just the specific referral link.

2. AFFILIATE_VALIDATE_REFERRER_URLS - If set to 'no' tells the plugin to all any referrer link (where the user came from) or even empty referrer.

So if you are getting blank referrer links check your setup. You will either have these in your wp-config.php or somewhere in your theme or maybe check the affiliate/affiliateincludes/includes/config.php but don't change the config.php. Instead set the override define in your wp-config.php

Also on last thing I need to request you open new threads for question. This thread is really closed as that feature has been added and released.

Thanks.

• Kader
    • Flash Drive

@Paul

Yes, when I said thanks, I assumed that they must of came from email, but with a conversation with the affiliate, its seems like that's not being the case.

I will get my programmer to look into the reply you just gave me.
    I will open new threads from this point forward if needs be.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.