Can i turn my live single site wordpress site into a multisite with sub domains

Hi Guys,

I have a live wordpress site http://www.carcaremagazine.com , we are now looking to turn it into a multi site, to enable our visitors to have their own blogs.

As I understand it I cannot now turn it into a multisite with sub domains, instead of with subdirectories, could someone confirm if this is the case.

If this is the case, am I right in thinking that a multisite with sub directories is not as good seo wise with the search engines for my main site.

Thanks In Advance Andrew @ Car Care Magazine

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

If this is the case, am I right in thinking that a multisite with sub directories is not as good seo wise with the search engines for my main site.

It doesn't overly matter so much these days, but it depends on who you talk to.

As I understand it I cannot now turn it into a multisite with sub domains, instead of with subdirectories, could someone confirm if this is the case.

WordPress is installed as a single site and then turned into multisite. I personally prefer sub domains, I like the look and you don't have the /blog/ in the url to avoid url clashes.

You can find more information here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

If you have any further questions or get stuck then just let us know.

Take care.

• maurands
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi,
    Thanks for the fast response,

As I understand your answer, when we enable Multisite we should be given the option of using subdomains, as we do not have /blog/ in our URL.

We too would prefer to set up our Multisite as subdomains, but thought as the site already has content, would only be offered the subdirectory option. Could you confirm

P.S. thanks, I'm glad you like the look, we are working hard to build a quality website for our readers...

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

You should be good to go! Each new site will be set up in sub-domians but each site will have its own subdirectories. I will give you an example not to confuse you. Say your site in “you.com” Any page you create would be “you.com/page” the page is not a sub-directory it’s just a page.
    Your new sites on the network would be “here.you.com” any page you create on it would read. “here.you.com/page” Hope this helps.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

The thing with a subdirectory install is the URL will be formated like this:

domain.com/blog/article

For your main site. the /blogs/ is to avoid conflicts with sites, so lets imagine if you had a site called WordPress and an article called WordPress this avoids a URL conflict.

I personally prefer sub domain installs, I think it is cleaner (in my mind) no extra slugs in the url.

Ultimately it is up to you. If you follow the instructions on the link I provided then you will get there.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

Take care.

• maurands
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the advice, I have gone with sub domains option:

Newsite.mysite.com

As you say it looks cleaner, and avoids potential conflicts.

I have however read that this not so good for SEO, what are your thoughts.

Andrew

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

I have however read that this not so good for SEO, what are your thoughts.

It shouldn't really make any difference.

Can I see the reference you refer to?

Google doesn't like people ripping off content, badly coded sites, slow sites, spam ad sites, that sort of thing doesn't do good for your SEO.

If you use content from another site then cite or quote it.

Not everything is so clear cut though.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.