Can I turn off the Upfront editor and stop it from loading once I have the site done?

Hi. My site is loadling slooooooooowly, and it looks like the Upfront editor is part of the problem. Now that I have things looking the way I'd like, do I have to have the editor load all the time? Is there a way to shut that off??

Thanks

Amy

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Amy!

I have checked that page and I think the confusing part here is that while inspecting it you see ajax calls related to Upfront. Those are e.g. "loading_styles..." and similar.

They are necessary but they are not "Upfront Editor". Upfront is a theme. It's actually a parent theme while every "starter theme" (or what we commonly refer to just as "Upfront theme") is in fact a child theme of Upfront. If you were using for example Twenty Sixteen child theme, some resources would also be loaded from Twenty Sixteen theme and an original Twenty Sixteen theme must be present on site.

An "Upfront editor" is an integral part of Upfront theme but just like my colleague Predrag explained it's loaded only when you run it either by clicking "Upfront" link in admin toolbar or by going to "Appearance -> Customize". Otherwise only some scripts are called from Upfront theme that are used to build-up the site according to your design.

I hope that makes it a bit more clear about how it works and what is happening on the site :slight_smile:

As for the performance. There's many factors that may affect this and I'll be more than happy to check your site and give you some suggestions on how to improve it. I would however need to review the site not only from "outside" but from "inside" as well. If you want me to do this, please grant me a support access to the site (and let me know here when it's granted) as described in this article:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Amy,

I had a look at your site with Parrot theme activated and when I visit Login page that you linked previously I don't see Upfront editor loading issues that you mentioned.

There is an error about missing Google API key but you can enter that under Upfront > General panel in your admin section.

Could you grab us a screenshot of what you're seeing in console on login page?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• amy

Honestly, it's been so long I don't remember what I was doing when I saw that result. I understand better what Adam said about what is loading and what is not. I must have seen Upfront loading styles and thought the whole editor was coming up every time.

When I test the page at webpagetest.org, the results are terrible. First-time byte is likely a server issue, but if I could overcome some of the rest of it, that'd be awesome.

https://www.webpagetest.org/result/170411_6Y_1GZF/

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Amy,

Main reports beside time to first byte are GZIP compression and browser caching, you can enable both of those by using our Hummingbird plugin, you will find instructions under Hummingbird > GZIP Compression and Hummingbird > Browser Caching panels.

There are also some reports for Minification which you can enable from Hummingbird > Minification panel.

If you need any additional assistance with this it would be best starting a new thread since it's not related to original question and having separate threads will help us to keep better track of everything.

Best regards,
    Predrag