Can I use marketpress to build this site (or something similar)?

http://www.ooizit.com/buy-music

It looks like a buddypress site.

Can I use Marketpress to make something similar to this website? Not neccessarily selling music though, could be anything.

The main goal is to allow buddypress members to list their stuffs for sale, music download, physical goods, etc. When customers purchas with marketpress shopping cart, I (as the website owner) can take a little percentage for each sale.

As you can also see, once someone made a purchse, buddypress shows the update, which makes buying a social activity (so smart!):
Latest Sales
Simon James has just bought Weekend Goverment by Bibelots
Simon James has just bought Devils Highway by Bibelots
Simon James has just bought The Bomb by Bibelots

It is like a craigs list with an integrated (market place) shopping cart. Huge potencial!

Thanks & Look forward to the solution :slight_smile:

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there!

I would think you could make a similar site by using MarketPress, Gridmarket and Pro sites,.
    It would be a Wordpress multi-site.
    This way, a user can sign up for a store on your website, add their products for sale, you can set global cart to on in Marketpress, this would then using Paypal adaptive payments allow you to take a % of the sales. Which can be set to what ever you want.
    I would also recommend plugins such as global footer content and new blog templates. Or if you want to use pro sites which I mentioned, rather than charging a % of each sales which some users may not like, you could charge users monthly for their stores.
    Using Global footer content you can make sure that what you specify in global footer content shows throughout all the sites, so you may want links or copyright info there.
    Using new blog templates you can make it so each store has the same template (gridmarket) and the same widgets, so you keep the same look throughout the website.
    Also if you use pro sites you can add different levels, so you might say allow a user on level 1 paying so much a month only be able to list 20 products, but a user on level 2 can add 50, that sort of thing, you can also make it so each user level has different plugins and themes available, in the premium section on the dashboards of their sites.
    I'm not too sure, on the social side of things, as I have never used buddypress with marketpress, but I will look into it and get back to you later, I can't see it being a major thing, but I'll take a look.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Coding-Monkey.

• winning

@Coding-Monkey

Thank you so much for this detailed answer. This is very helpful. I am gonna give it a try now, and may come back more questions :slight_smile:

Here are some quick ones:

1. Can global cart and PayPal adaptive payment be turned on and used together in WPMU as is?

2. About "each pro sites level can only list a limited number items/products", say level 1 for up to 10 items, level 2 for up to 50 items. Can this be done with current plugins without custom coding?

3. look forward to your findings on buddypress+marketpress. If we can do it without "(Wordpress) multi-site", instead just use the signle site Wordpress with buddypress member site to achieve the "market place" idea, we could set up a combination of craigslist and ebay alike website overnight... day dreaming...don't wake me up... LOL

Again, thank you!

• winning

@Kimberly
    Thanks for the Classifieds plugin. It looks very promising for the goal.

It would be perfit if buddypress members can list his/her marketpress products on a tab as easy as putting up a classifieds, and even better if WPMU is not required (since I don't want my buddypress members to get confused by looking at posts/pages/links/appearance/tools/... and all other sub-site admin's dashboard menu items that are not needed here -- less is more. All they need is an access to the marketpress plugin to add paypal account email, create products for sale, and then list products on the frontend, maybe on a tab, says "my store/my shop" similar to " My classifieds").

• Jack Kitterhing

@ Winning,

I think I'm on too something! It may still require multi-site but we can hide all that back-end stuff.

I'm trying to find a front end input form which someone posted the other day, I'll have a look through see If I can find it. The only problem with classifieds is that you can't of course download or purchase anything direct so you wouldn't get any % from the sales.
    I'm quite sure though I'm onto something with mulit-site, budypress and marketpress, you can have a look at my demo site here videogamecollector.net (still a long way to go to show you how I want) But I'm running out of time tonight, as I still have a lot do, I will have a good look through tomorrow and try to implement what I hope.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Coding-Monkey

• winning

@Coding-Monkey

Thanks for the updates.

Yes, you're right, classifieds plugin itself can not sell an product like a shopping cart.

What I am thinking is whether Marketpress plugin can be used at a similar way as the Classifieds Plugin (posting a classifiedes ad V.S. listing a product on a buddypress member profile tab), and at the same time with PayPal adaptive payment turned on.

With muilti-site, Marketpress can list products on a "page" that is not very easy to locate (community > members > user-name > sites > click on a subsite name and finally see the subsite and the products if sub-site's Homepage is configured to show the marketpress "store" page by default - but wordpress' sub-site Homepage default setting is set to show the "Hello World" post) - that's why I would love to have products listed on a buddypress member profile tab - "store". Less is more...

If we have to "teach" an average user/member how to manage a "sub-site" and "pages" and "menus", lots of people may walk away since it looks complicated, and they would think it is too hard for them to learn even though it is not...

"Classifieds Plugin" is easy to use and understand - login to user dashboard, locate Classified interface, create and publish a few ads, things shows up automatically on the frontend. No "menu", homepage setup, "pages" to worry about.

Hiding some sub site admin dashboard menu items may be an alternative. Can't wait to learn more from you.

Good night :slight_smile: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Jack Kitterhing

@ Winning,

Yeah I suppose it's good :smiley:
    I got to bed at 4.00am after searching for 2 files for over 2 hours, then I remembered they were on my laptop :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm now using this https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-add-on-front-end-product-entry-form for front end input, It's working well, need to figure way to allow the user to enter their paypal settings, you can see the test page here http://www.wpstores.co.uk/new-products.

I'll keep you updated :slight_smile:

@KimberlyL
    Personally I don't think Gravity forms would handle what needs to be done here very well, but I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time lol :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Coding-Monkey.

• Jack Kitterhing

@ Winning,

Right after going through all this, I think you'd have to go with something similar to my first suggestion in my first post, as the problems with not using Wordpress Multi-Site, would involve a fair a bit of custom coding, that you may or may not be comfortable doing.

I personally would do the custom coding to get it how I want, but that may not be a pratical solution for you.

A better option from your point of view would be I think to use the Classifieds plugin like @KimberlyL suggested. I have used this myself on many projects and I can say this is fantastic and I believe would give you less responbility should a trasnaction go wrong. As the problem is that even if you do terms and conditions and a disclaimer (which would both need to be very well written to prevent loopholes), at the end of the day, if someone doesn't ship the product to someone else, that person who paid and didn't receive their item will get onto you, I mean think of people with ebay and the buyer protection there.
    The main problem would come from that point of view is that if it was all on one site with multiple users then you I think are held more responsible, whereas if it was a Wordpress multi-site, you would have less responsbility as it would be for the website owner to sort out, all you would do is provide the space and tools as such, whereas on one website with buddypress, you would be providing a service, so by UK law anyway you would be held much more responsible for anything that goes wrong, and also fakes with trademark owners etc etc, the list really does go and on, if you don't mind me asking what country are you in?
    Now to get back onto the clasifieds plugin, this works very well with buddypress and I think would provide something ish like you are looking for, as there would be a overall classifieds section on the website, on each members profile they have "my classifieds" so they can see their own classifieds and create a new one etc. Now of course you want to earn from this, well there are two options as far as I can see in relation to that, you can either.
    1. Charge members to list their items for sale.
    or 2. Use the membership plugins and get members to join using that, as a premium feature sort of thing, I would personally go with the membership option rather than paying per classified ad, but this is just my opinion. Also the classifieds way would give you less responsbility as I see it, you would have to monitor your listings for anything illegal, but that's about it, as the deal between the members wouldn't be done on your site as such, but rather privatley, thus removing any responsbility on your part for the transaction between them, as that would be down to them.

So as I can see it you have three options.

Option 1. Similar to my first suggestion (see my first post), cost: medium, responsability: Medium/high

Option 2: A budypress, using Marketpress, Johhny's front end input form (as linked in this thread). With code edits and additional custom plugins needed to get the site working how you want. This would be a pratical option if your coder, if your not, I believe a developer would charge a fair amount for what would needed doing. Cost: Self done, Low/Medium, Cost: Developer High, Responsability: High

Option 3: Classifieds as described above: Cost low: Responsability: Low, difficult to set up: Low

Option 3 is in my opinion the best option for what you need, this is just personal opinion and some people may have better than suggestions.

If you need any help with anything let me know, sorry I can't be of more help.

Kind Regards
    Coding-Monkey.

• winning

@Coding-Monkey

Thank you for the in-depth research on this topic. This discussion is very helpful and productive. We are getting much closer to the goal. We could make a few websites with different focus based on your research.

I am trying to traget US market. Just out of curiosity, about the legal responsibility, I think marketpress is different than ebay in the means of who has received the money.

I mean: EBay receives the money for the transaction (the credit card shows Ebay as the receiver of buyer's money), while in marketpress, each seller (at least at multi-site configuration) receives the money. I assume (I'm not a lawyer) the party who receives the money is responsible, right?

If each buddypress member can find a place to put in their paypal account email and have the transaction/money go to their own account directly, the website admin could be less responsible for the transaction if the seller didn't not ship the product.

I will try all 3 options on different sites.

For option 1, as you mentioned earlier, we can hide the complicated dashboard menu items to sub-site admin (for things they won't need). Do you know if there are any existing solutions (plugins) can do this easily - sub site admin can only see and use a limited number of dashboard menus, while still allow the super admin to see and use everything?

Thanks for the suggesions and comparision again :slight_smile:

• Jack Kitterhing

@ Winning

No problem, I'm happy to help.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Distance selling regulations and marketing restrictions and other Law in the US, I have a fair Knowledge of Law within Europe with regards to the online side, as I've developed sites that are sort of what you are trying to acheive, even though I'm also not a lawyer.
    I will say the following, what you say in regards to eBay isn't correct, the money goes direct to the person if you pay via credit or debit via paypal or direct paypal account balance. But the transaction is still done on ebay's website and through ebay's system, which as such, gives them responsability with regards to the goos being deliverd, even if the responsability was not down to eBay, many users would still hold eBay responsible and depending on the merits of the transaction, in court I believe the buyer who didn't receive their product would win against eBay in such a situation if ebay didn't have buyer protection.
    Unfortunetly on the internet the person who provides the service is also quite often held responsible for certain parts, this is why from a legal point of view I prefer option 3, as the deal would not be done on your website and no payment made through your website so you could not be held responsible for a deal that goes wrong, also option 1 is good from this point of view as well, as even though it's sort of your own site, you are providing a website to someone else, almost like a hosting provider, which would be less legal responsbility than having a website all in one with buddypress whereas the user pays anonther user through the website. If that all makes sense.

Regarding hiding things in option 1, you can either
    1.Create a simple plugin to hide options, but links would still work.
    2. Use this https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/easy-blogging This easy blogging solution allows you to place what you want and what the user can see, so you might want to have the user only be able to manage their orders and add products and add their own product categories, as such this would be a pefect solution and one of my favourite plugins to use, if you need help setting it up or using let me know, I would be happy to help out :slight_smile: This would be the better option of the 2.

Also use Paypal chained payments, rather than global cart, as it would be a multi-site anyway this doesn't matter, but it makes the payment settings simple from your users point of view, as they can just enter their paypal email address in the payment settings tab under marketpress, please note though to use paypal chained payments you will need a application ID from paypal by using your Paypal developer account, if you don't have a paypal developer account one can be set up eaiser.

So Option 1 with the above or option 3 in my personal opinion.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions at all :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Coding-Monkey.

• Jack Kitterhing

@ Winning,

Forgot to mention in my last post, make sure you have water tight security, the site you mentioned in your first post is vulnerable, I can see a minimum of 3 exploits that someone may target, I will not discuss what these are as it would be unfair to the site you mentioned. I have emailed them reagarding the matter and hopefully they get it resolved.
    But I can't stress this enough security must be your No1 priority, it's all well and good having an awesome looking site with great functions but if the security is lacking it means nothing.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Coding-Monkey.

• winning

@Coding-Monkey

Wow! There are lots of learnings here today :slight_smile: Thank you!!!

Continued on the legal stuff:
    With multi sites, for instance, http://www.my-domain.com/subsite-123/, any transaction happens there (on a subsite) still "appears" to (the visitors) be on my site, isn't it? At least the URL says so. How mulpi-site can "pass" responsibility to the sub site owners? Any good general pratice I can use here? (regardless of US vs. Europe). such as: use subdomain instead or domain mapping? What can be done with WPMU sub-directories setup for legal responsibility if subdomain or domain mapping is not an option? /subite-123/

• Jack Kitterhing

@ Winning,

Happy to help :slight_smile:

On the legal stuff: Hmm, Sort of, while to the visitor it might appear that way, techinally you are only providing the space for people to see, whereas something like eBay, provides the space, feedback, tools, programs etc to for one intention and that's sell, so you would have less responsability, a good way to pass nearly all responsability to the sub site user, would be to provide terms of service in signup, which they must mark a checkbox on signup to say they agree, the main thing would be to have this well written. For not only the sub site owner but also if someone choose's to have just a username, you can find a plugin here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/terms-of-service, you may also want to use a subdomain instead of a sub dir, so something.example.com rather than example.com/something
    This would be better from really everyone's point of view. Domain mapping would again be even better as that way you the user wouldn't even think they are on your site and you could put in the Terms of services, something like "It is the domain owners responsability to provide the service or product they offer, YOURCOMPANY.com/YOURCOMPANY Ltd will not be held responsible for any products or services that aren't delivered or provided as advertised by the domain holder" Something like that but better written.
    I hope that helps you.

Let me know! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Coding-Monkey.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.