Can I use the WordPress Directory plugin in this scenario (and if so, how much customisation would I

Hi guys, I'm a new member and loving the experience so far so thanks for that

What I want to do is as follows, (the first three points I'm pretty sure are all possible and are just for background):

- Set-up a directory website using the plugin
- Have several different shopping malls as the main categories
- Within each mall have shop, restaurant and cinema listings/content types and custom fields

However where I'm not so sure (or how to approach it at least) is:

- How does the paid recurring/subscriber part work, if a shop owner pays to be able to add/edit their shop, can they only add one shop for each payment? What if they have a chain of shops in every mall? How does the system 'know' what they can and can't edit and can I define this in any way?

- Say I want each shop owner to be able to associate offers with each outlet. I was thinking the best way might be to create a new item type (perhaps with CustomPress) and allow shop owners to add offers (with an expiry date) which are then associated with their shop? (Please say if this is a horrible way of doing it) If so how can I 'control' the access that these paid subscribers have so they're only doing things in the back-end that relate to their shop or chain of shops? Can I also allow them to post offers too? And if so how could the system 'know' what they should and shouldn't be able to post. If I'm approaching this from completely the wrong angle in terms of structure please do shout this is just my initial idea of how it might be achieved

- Finally, how could I associate film information / showing times (eg Rambo showing at 3pm and 5pm on Wednesday and Fridays) with a cinema? Perhaps a Film custom post type (though CustomPress?) Have you guys got any experience using Directory with CustomPress or similar or is this the wrong approach?

I know that's a lot of questions but hopefully you can see what I'm trying to achieve and I would really really appreciate any help or guidance you can give

Thanks

Nick

DavidM

Hi Nick,

- How does the paid recurring/subscriber part work, if a shop owner pays to be able to add/edit their shop, can they only add one shop for each payment? What if they have a chain of shops in every mall? How does the system 'know' what they can and can't edit and can I define this in any way?

With Directory installed, you'll notice there's a Directory Member user role and that user role has the ability to create and edit those listings. By default, the role doesn't have the ability to edit other's listings but only its own.

- Say I want each shop owner to be able to associate offers with each outlet. I was thinking the best way might be to create a new item type (perhaps with CustomPress) and allow shop owners to add offers (with an expiry date) which are then associated with their shop? (Please say if this is a horrible way of doing it) If so how can I 'control' the access that these paid subscribers have so they're only doing things in the back-end that relate to their shop or chain of shops? Can I also allow them to post offers too? And if so how could the system 'know' what they should and shouldn't be able to post. If I'm approaching this from completely the wrong angle in terms of structure please do shout this is just my initial idea of how it might be achieved

I'm not totally sure I understand you so please correct me if I'm a bit off, but you might consider creating a new custom post type and altering the Directory Member (or even your own custom user role) to suit the permissions you're looking for. The following plugin works great for customizing user roles.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

- Finally, how could I associate film information / showing times (eg Rambo showing at 3pm and 5pm on Wednesday and Fridays) with a cinema? Perhaps a Film custom post type (though CustomPress?) Have you guys got any experience using Directory with CustomPress or similar or is this the wrong approach?

Directory actually has CustomPress integrated in it, so you can use all the standard CustomPress features with all the Directory listings and you can even create and manage your own custom post types as well.

Though I think you'd want to have your own template files for displaying the custom fields/taxonomies on the front-end. Basically, the creation of custom post types is simple, it's just the displaying of them on the front-end that you'd need to work out, but Directory with its built in CustomPress, makes this a much easier task by providing you with the embed codes you'd place in your theme's template files.

esanctuary

David, thanks so much for the reply, it really has helped me a lot and I'm now pretty confident I can achieve what I need to do and I'll experiment with it a bit more today

Regarding the second point that I didn't really make clear, what I meant was:

Owner of Shop A in Mall B has a new promotion/offer on books in his store. He's running 20% off all books for one week and wants to promote that via the directory. Here I was thinking the best way to do this would be to create a new item type Offer that could then be associated with a shop (with appropriate tweaks to follow later on the front-end to display it correctly). One of the reasons I thought to approach it in this way is that then I could list all the offers in Mall B (including this one) on a single page (again with a few tweaks on the front-end I imagine). My main concern (other than is this possible at all!) is that shop owners could only post offers to their shops, which I think would be possible given the method you suggest (it would also be nice if offers could expire automatically on a set date but that's less important right now).

Actually, I've just thought of one more question, relating to this! Is it possible to have a Brand (eg Virgin) item type or category that can be used to group together Shops in the same Brand. That way you could also display all offers for a Brand regardless of what Mall their shops were in. You might then end up with two basic structures:

The main one:

- Mall
    - Shop
    - Offer

The second one:

- Brand
    - Shop
    - Offer

The Shop content type in each case would be exactly the same, the idea is just to give two (potential) ways of viewing that data on the front-end.

I will leave this open for the moment if that's OK just until I've been able to test stuff later today but thanks again for your help I think I"m now the right track and I will report back on how it goes, so perhaps others may benefit too

Cheers

Nick

esanctuary

Have been playing with this this morning and a further question has cropped up, hope that's OK:

I've successfully created Offers as a new content type however, how I couldn't 'attach' them to a shop (Listings content type)

Obviously I need to make that association in the back-end somewhere for the front-end to spit out the right listing. For example if you were to visit the page for the shop Harvey Nichols in Mall A on the front-end I'd like it display all the Harvey Nichols offers for that shop underneath.

I realise this will probably need some customisation on the front-end but it's on the back-end where I'm not sure how I create that association between Shop (Listing) and Offer in the first place.

I was thinking that I could set a shop as the parent within the Offer item type and that would do it but I can't seem to do that and I'm not sure that's the right approach.

Thanks

Nick

esanctuary

Sorry for multiple posts but I couldn't edit the previous one and add an image, this is the part of the plugin where I was guessing that you could set things up so you could create a parent relationship (Hierarchical is switched on) but I didn't know what to type here (tried 'listings' and directory_listing but that didn't seem to give me any hierarchy/parent type options on the Edit Offer page

I may be looking in completely the wrong place but basically what I need is some way of creating a relationship between Listings and Offers in the back-end (however it is ultimately achieved) that I can reference on the front-end later on

Thanks

Nick

esanctuary

Please feel free to ignore my mess of posts up there, I think I have figured out most things now.

For anyone interested, I am going to use:

Custom Post Types Relationship plugin (to link together Offers & Listings custom post types)
    http://www.cssigniter.com/ignite/custom-post-types-relationships/

And probably 'Post Expirator' to expire the offers once they are old (though haven't tested the Plugin yet!)
    http://postexpirator.tuxdocs.net/

David, if you have any other advice or think I'm going down the wrong road please do let me know, however I'll mark this as resolved as it seems like I've solved most of the issues for now, thanks again for your help

DavidM

Hi esanctuary,

Sorry for the delayed response, but thanks for that plugin link. I never heard of that one and it looks mighty useful. I was going to mention that what you'd need is some way to relate the custom post types to each other and that there's not a way to do that via CustomPress itself. That plugin seems to handle that.

I'm going to take a look at it, meanwhile thanks again for having mentioned that one. Gave ya some rep points for all the useful info. Your thoughts leading up to the solution helps to illustrate why its so useful.

esanctuary

Hi Jaroslav

I ended up doing it a different way in the end and not using the WPMU Dev solution.

In the end the automatic payment option was not required so I ended up building the whole directory site manually with custom post types and custom taxonomies.

I'd send you the URL but it was a private job for a client so I have to respect their wishes on that (I don't think you'd learn a lot from the front end in the end anyway!)

Cheers and good luck with what you're doing

Nick