Can I use the WORDPRESS USER SYNC to move all users and metadata?

We have a rather hacked production site we are trying to rebuild from the ground up (on a new dev server), but we do need to carry over our users, which sites they are part of (there are 3 total in our Multisite network), their roles (some are custom roles, such as Employers), their metadata that some plugins use and ideally their passwords as well. We haven't added this plugin yet as we're not sure it can do what we're hoping it will. Would we be able to migrate them from one network to another, all metadata/database tables and all?

• Luís

Hi UNOS ,

Hope you're doing well today!

WordPress User Sync was not designed to be used in WordPress Multisite, it was created to synchronize user profiles across multiple single WordPress installations.

Maybe you can use our Snapshot plugin, that allows you to backup the database and move it to another install?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

Also, I think this article may interest you:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/easy-migration-snapshot/

Cheers, Luís

• GodsWatchDog

Thanks for the reply, Luis. Can you be selective with what data you carry over? How granular can we get with Snapshot? We'd want to leave out certain active plugins (that have broken code or have issues if upgraded as-is), etc but everything else should be migrated over, including posts/pages, users, custom fields/categories and so on.

Full disclosure, a previous developer who wasn't familiar with WordPress edited a lot of code that shouldn't have been or was unnecessarily changed. That has left us to figure out how to graft everything back into a fresh install of our network of sites, plugins and data, and so on.

• Luís

Hi UNOS ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Snapshot allows you to select the data you want to include in the backup file.

Regarding to the database, you can include/exclude the database in the backup file or select the database tables you want to include:

If you include all your database tables, posts, pages, categories, users, will be included.

Regarding to the files, you can include the common files (Themes, Plugins, Media) or select which files will be included. Also, it have a "Global File Exclusions" feature, where you can exclude a specific folder/file from the backup:

However, I need to mention that, the regular backup options from Snapshot (Snapshot -> Add new), only allows you to create a backup from each subsite individually (including the main site), so, it will not backup the entire network.

Only the Managed Backups option (Snapshot -> Managed Backups), that allows you to save the backup in our cloud, can do a full backup of the entire network.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís