Can market press global cart do mass payouts to network sub stores

Currently, I am using chained payments with my marketplace where I take a small percentage of sales from my network sub stores (multisite) Conversion rates are low and I think it has to do with not having the global cart feature with the chained payments feature. Anxiously waiting for marketpress v 3.0 to come out that promises to address this. Wondering instead to mimic what some other marketplace sites I have seen do which is the following: Global cart is activated. When a sale is made even among several sub stores, the payout only goes to the main site owner (super admin) The site owner sees that a sale has been made but doesn't get paid right away. Then monthly, the main site owner(super admin) pays out a mass payout to all sub site owners of their monthly sales profit minus the percentage fee that stays with the main site owner. Can this be done and can it be automated to occur perhaps monthly?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Leslie,

This isn't exactly possible out of the box; however, we can do a little work around to get close :slight_smile:

Are clients setting up their own sites? If so, then you can use "New Blog Templates" to preset all the store settings for them. ie. payment method with your paypal account. Then hide the payment settings tab with a small code edit. You will need to open up the marketpress.php and comment out the "gateways" line as seen below. This should be around line 11900-12000.

<h3 class="nav-tab-wrapper">
        <?php
        $tab = ( !empty($_GET['tab']) ) ? $_GET['tab'] : 'main';

if (!$this->get_setting('disable_cart')) {
        	$tabs = array(
            'coupons'       => __('Coupons', 'mp'),
        		'presentation'  => __('Presentation', 'mp'),
        		'messages'      => __('Messages', 'mp'),
        		'shipping'      => __('Shipping', 'mp'),
        		//'gateways'      => __('Payments', 'mp'),
        		'shortcodes'    => __('Shortcodes', 'mp'),
        		'importers'     => __('Importers', 'mp')
        	);
        } else {
          $tabs = array(
    				'presentation'  => __('Presentation', 'mp'),
        		'shortcodes'    => __('Shortcodes', 'mp'),
        		'importers'     => __('Importers', 'mp')
    			);
        }

Remember you will need to re-add that edit when you update MarketPress :slight_smile:

This will allow all payments to go to you then you will have to payout. I'm not too familiar with PayPal mass payments; however, I don't believe you will be able to automate the payment process. This should be a good work around in the meantime. Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Leslie,

Hope you are well today :slight_smile:

What are you using as a sign up form? You could add the PayPal email address in the sign up form via a plugin like Gravity Forms if you have it OR you could add it into the user profile fields for them to add in later: http://davidwalsh.name/add-profile-fields

One option would be for your users to send you their mass pay text. Then you can double check it just to be sure it is the right amount (their sales - your commission) then pay them out. This way they are doing majority of the work to get it ready then you just double check to make sure they aren't making up their sales number.

Hope this helps. Let us know where you are at on this!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Leslie

Here's what I know so far. I would have to manually go into my current and established stores and record their paypal email address and then manually input my paypal address plus of course hide the payments gateway as you showed above, then switch to global cart and paypal express. I am using new blog templates and pro theme by marketpressthemes which allows a lot of configurations with their page builder, so I can build a contact form on the template store page when the user first registers and views their store where they will be able to send me their paypal email address right away. I will then have to delete that contact form again manually so it doesn't show up on their store page after they start posting products. Once I have the paypal addresses of all my store owners and whenever a new one signs up, I will have to manually record it and then input it and all others into a spread sheet of some sort so I can mass pay out everyone periodically, say monthly or weekly or whatever. Paypal offers a mass payout for up to 5000 individuals which is free for the recipient but there is a 2% fee for the sender (me). I could tack that 2% onto the fee I am charging now as I believe my users have to pay a bit larger (2.9) fee currently when they get their payment from a customer through paypal's chained payment structure.

So as I see it, I could use the global cart instead of chained payments and still get the percentage cut for the main site but with a lot of manual record keeping on my part. That all being said, the global cart is extremely important to the success of my site. I know you can't give me an ETA of when marketpress 3.0 with the new global cart, chained payments feature will be available but is there a hint of how much longer? 4 weeks, 6 months, one year? Also, I have heard that it is a global cart that floats so customers can see all the products they are wanting to purchase but that they would still need to individually check out for each different seller. Is that info correct? Can you give me a more defined picture of the new features? Thanks for listening. Any advice or ideas you have would be appreciated.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Leslie,

Your method above sounds like it would definitely work for the time being. Perhaps, allowing the users to add their PayPal address during sign up or even through a form in a widget on the dashboard could be cool too :slight_smile: Either way, your method above would work.

you're right for now there would need to be some manual record keeping to have this run smoothly. As for 3.0, I will call in the developer to give his feedback on upcoming features :slight_smile:

Thanks for being a WPMU DEV member Leslie!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• aristath

Hello there @Leslie, I hope you're well today!

Unfortunately I don't know any details on the MarketPress 3.0 features... all I know is that it's going to be a complete rewrite, fixing a lot of issues previous versions had, and improving the functionality and UI in many areas.
    Hopefully @Jonathan will be able to provide some more specifics about this.
    Please keep in mind though that plugin developers have a lot of responsibilities so this could take a bit longer than a normal ticket.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Leslie

Thanks Tyler and Ari, I attempted the idea I outlined above with the global cart but got into a snag. If I use the global cart, it seems marketpress goes automatically to parallel payments and my idea is not to do that but all funds go to me only and I would facilitate the mass payouts with paypal. Can the marketpress coding be changed to allow global cart without parallel payments but instead payments go to superadmin?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Leslie,

Hope you're well today!

I believe the easiest way to get around this would be to enter your PayPal email for all the stores then hide the gateways tab, if you haven't hidden the gateways tab yet then see the first post, you just need to comment out the tab in the template file. I believe you are still using templates right? So you can have the paypal merchant email already set with yours when the user signs up.

Remember you are just hiding the gateways tab, so if needed you can still visit it by going the link where it normally is:

http://yourdomain.com/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=product&page=marketpress&tab=gateways

Let us know if you still have other questions :slight_smile: Happy to help.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Leslie

Hi Tyler, I did hide the tab, switch to global cart and put in my paypal address into my template store and the current stores. When I went to make a purchase as a test, I got a paypal error that said you do not have permission to make this purchase. Need paypal credentials. I tried putting in my paypal credentials that I use for my chained payments application but still got the error. Also, when I switch to global cart, there is a place in the marketpress settings that asks for the paypal credentials when using paypal express checkout. Anyway, I put in my current credentials and it didn't work. It seems to me that global cart uses parallel payments but that is not what I am doing here. I am having all monies go to one paypal account (mine) then doing the mass payout separately away from marketpress. I think that the marketpress code automatically uses parallel payments when check marking global cart in the settings area. That is what I think I need to change in order to try this successfully as this new scenario is really not an advanced api call as far as paypal is concerned since the monies are all going into one account not multiple accounts. See what I mean?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Leslie,

I do see what you mean there, and it makes total sense! However, MarketPress wasn't designed for one store owner to take all the money, which is why we often need to do a work around here. Parallel payments allows for one account to be paid up to 10 different times in one transaction, 10 is the limit for number of different stores you can purchase from in one transaction.

You may be able to leave the individual store PayPal fields blank and let the primary store take the lump sum, but I haven't tested that myself yet, may not be aloud.

Another alternative that I think could work, although you wouldn't be able to use the global cart, would be to do chained payments and give yourself 100% commission.

Would either of these alternatives work for you Leslie? If not, let us know and we'll look into this further to see what else can be done :slight_smile:

All the best,
      Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.