Can MarketPress be used to create an Etsy like website

We read the following blog and watched the video listed below.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-build-your-own-etsy-like-site-using-marketpress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMaf5FDrWg

They both mention that MarketPress can be used to create Etsy like website.

We have a client that wants to create such a site but we are confused. Etsy lets a user select products from multiple vendors shown on the same screen and pay for all vendor products using 1 shopping cart.
Then Etsy takes a commission from the total.

From reading the blog and watching the video, my understanding is that Set Enable Global cart must be set to "No" in order to get a commission from each vendor. But if Set Enable Global=No does that mean that user will NOT see all products (example all Jewelry products) on the same home page? And if Set Enable Global=No does that mean that user has to go to each separate store to see and pay each store product separately in separate shopping carts?

Please explain or is there another documentation that explains this better? Thanks!

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @Hector Torres,

That's correct. Currently the global cart can't be used when using chained payments.

With the global marketplace shortcodes though, Users can still see products from all the stores, but when they wish to pay they will be taken to that products site & will have to pay there.

I think this is hopefully being improved in the next major release. But let me just ask the developer for some clarification on this for you, i'm not experienced with etsy style e-commerce, so my understanding of how they should operate is limited.

Hope this helps

• Hector Torres
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks for super fast reply Vaughan. So if we use a theme like WPMU FrameMarket theme, can we somehow display all vendors' products on the same page by category? For example, assuming 2 vendors use the category "Jewelry" can we show all Jewelry products from both vendors on the home page under the same Jewelry Category?

If the answer to above is Yes, then let's assuming user wants to buy from both vendors, does user have to first select from vendor #1, add each item to a shopping cart and pay? And then go and do the same for vendor #2?

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Hector Torres,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

That is technically correct, that you can have a global category as such and show all products from that category.

You have two options on the purchasing.

Either global cart, which means they can add the products to the cart and checkout in one go, or you can use any of the other payment gateways, but then your users would need to checkout on a per store basis :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Hector Torres

Jack, your explanation is a little confusing to us. Let me rephrase our question so we can hopefully get this clarified.

If we have MarketPress plugin with FrameMarket theme installed on a Multisite that has various vendors, can we show on the Home Page a list of ALL products for a Global Category for ALL vendors and at the same time get a commission % for each sale?

If the answer is yes, what are the correct plugin settings?

If the answer is yes, how will a user add 2 products from two different vendors to a shopping cart and pay? Will the user need to click "Add to Cart" item #1, then pay item #1, then repeat this entire process for item#2?

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Hector Torres,

Sorry, I'll try and rephrase :slight_smile:

If we have MarketPress plugin with FrameMarket theme installed on a Multisite that has various vendors, can we show on the Home Page a list of ALL products for a Global Category for ALL vendors and at the same time get a commission % for each sale?

If the answer is yes, what are the correct plugin settings?

Yes, you'll need to use the following shortcode on a page to output the global products.

[mp_list_global_products] - Displays a network-wide list of products according to preference.

Optional Attributes:

"paginate" - Whether to paginate the product list. This is useful to only show a subset. Default: 1
    "page" - How many products to display in the product list if "paginate" is set to true. Default: 20
    "per_page" - How many products to display in the product list if "paginate" is set to 1.
    "order_by" - What field to order products by. Can be: date, title, price, sales, rand. Default: date
    "order" - Direction to order products by. Can be: DESC, ASC. Default: DESC
    "category" - Limits list to a specific product category. Use the category Slug
    "tag" - Limits list to a specific product tag. Use the tag Slug
    "show_thumbnail" - Whether to show the product thumbnail. Default: 1
    "thumbnail_size" - Max thumbnail width/height. Default: 150
    "show_price" - Whether to show the product price. Default: 1
    "text" - Choose "excerpt", "content", or "none". Default: excerpt
    "as_list" - Whether to show as an unordered list. Default: 0
    "paginav" - Whether to show the prev/next pagination. Default: 1
    Example: [mp_list_global_products paginate="1" page="0" per_page="10" order_by="price" order="DESC" category="downloads"]

You may also use the mp_list_global_products() template function in your theme with the same arguments.

:slight_smile:

Then in network admin > settings > MarketPress, you need global cart to no and then choose PayPal chained payments.

You need to register a PayPal Application here https://developer.paypal.com/

And then you will be able to collect a commission per sale.

But your users would need to checkout per store, for example, if they have 10 items from 3 stores, they need to check for the items per store.

So if they have 5 items from store 1, they checkout at store 1 for those, 2 items from store 2, they checkout from store 2 as well and then the remaining 3 for store 3 :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Hector Torres

Hey Jack,

Excellent detailed reply. Thanks a million. My only remaining question related to how the "user checkout experience" will be in order to accomplish what you stated in your last paragraph:

"So if they have 5 items from store 1, they checkout at store 1 for those, 2 items from store 2, they checkout from store 2 as well and then the remaining 3 for store 3 :slight_smile:"

Is there a LIVE demo of a site using MarketPress plugin with FrameMarket where I can see how a user would "Add to Cart" each item and then go to each store's Checkout?

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Hector Torres,

Hope you're well today, I'm afraid we don't have a live demo,

But the workflow would be, checkout at store 1, store 2 and store 3 products are left in the cart.

Go to store checkout at store 2, store 3 items remaining, checkout at store 3, checkout process complete.

If that makes sense? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Hector Torres

Hey Jack,

Thanks a lot for the workflow. We would need to visualize how the user would be able to know that he/she has to checkout 3 different times.

Setting this all up would take us some considerable amount of time and the "user experience" might not be acceptable for our client.

If anyone out there reads this and has already created a LIVE site or Demo showing how an Etsy like site would look like using MarketPress plugin, please post the link here.

There seems to be a lot of demand for this type of site out there. If we end up creating a site ourselves, we'll post the link for others to see it.

• Hector Torres

Hi Jack,

Unfortunately none of those links helped to show us an Etsy like site. To save others some time, I'll explain why:

This link you provided https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-build-your-own-etsy-like-site-using-marketpress is a very good one explaining the plugin setup but that link is the one we had already referenced when we opened this support ticket.

The other 2 links do NOT have links to an Etsy like website. There is one website in there that we could not connect to, maybe its' down or has been deleted.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Hector Torres,

Perhaps I'm mis-understanding the Etsy style, but this markertplace here http://www.light-links.com/market/

Is the sort of marketplace that we refer to in the style of all global products on the main site, and then they can be purchased site by site.

That is the closest etsy style site currently, but it doesn't have a global cart, as currently if you want a Etsy style site and collect commission, you can't use the global cart, you'd need one or the other.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Hector Torres

Hey Jack,

The main problem that we see with that site is that it does NOT have the products grouped by a Global category so it's really not a good example of an Etsy type site. At the very least a site that is going to display products from multiple vendors should have them organized in some way.

For example, in Etsy you can Click on "Jewelry" and then click on "Necklaces" to see necklaces from multiple vendors ( see this page http://www.etsy.com/browse/jewelry/personalized/necklaces?h=69b71607&lid=186247108&ref=cat_subcat_title_1 )

I understand this can me done with MarketPress but I have yet to see a LIVE site using MarketPress that has such a setup.

We are researching Etsy like themes out there that seem to have the functionality for an Etsy site, including a global cart. At this point we're probably going to go with one of those themes. Hopefully a future update of MarketPress will nake it possible to have a real Etsy like interface.

Thanks for your time!

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again Hector,

In order to get sitewide product categories working you might have to do some custom coding.
    About 2 years ago (back then I was still a member in these forums) I wanted to do the same thing and came up with a solution.
    You can see what I did and replicate this if you want on your own installation by reading this post: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/network-wide-categories-for-products#post-198537

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Jonathan
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @Hector Torres,

Probably not much of a help for you right now, but in MarketPress 3.0 (under development) we plan on adding an Etsy-esque checkout flow. It's not going to be out for awhile, but it is something we have planned.

Just thought I'd let you know. :slight_smile:

• Hector Torres

Hey Ari, thanks for your reply. We will refrain from doing any custom coding since as you know any custom do a plugin will get overwritten by any future updates. But we appreciate the feedback.

Hey Jonathan, we'll check out the new version 3.0 when it comes out and revisit the plugin. For now we think we found a solution by Woothemes and WooCommerce that will allow us to build an Etsy like site without any manual code changes. We won't post the solution here because we have not tried it yet. Thanks for the feedback!

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hey Ari, thanks for your reply. We will refrain from doing any custom coding since as you know any custom do a plugin will get overwritten by any future updates. But we appreciate the feedback.

Not necessarily... Custom-coding does not necessarily mean hacking the plugin. You could write your custom code in the theme's functions.php file or a custom plugin you'll create and hook into the MarketPress actions and filters to change whatever you want.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Hector Torres

Hi Ari,

I did not know that MarketPress had actions and filters that we could hook into and come up with a solution. That sounds great. We'll look into that post https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/network-wide-categories-for-products#post-198537 if we decide to use MarketPress but I think we're going to use another theme/plugin for now and take a look at MarketPress 3.0 when it's released. Thanks a lot for the follow up and clarification.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.