Can Marketpress do this?

Configuration: Wordpress multisite network
Plugins used: Marketpress, membership, pro site, domain mapping.

Once a new sub site is created, a certain member level can use the Marketpress plugin to set up a store and map the subsite to a new domain.

Here is the idea.

Can Marketpress (on a subsite) read in 2 separate product tables and display all products from both tables on current sub site: one is the product table that belongs/created to current subsite, the other table is another subsite's product table.

The purpose is:

Network admin is a wholesale business owner, and subsite admin is retail business owner.

Network admin created a subsite and enter lots of products with all the details (price, image, description, etc.), let's call it subsite A.

Retail subsite (let's call it subsite B) admin can directly use all the pre-configured products categories and product details (prices, images, description) that are managed and updated by network admin on a particular subsite (subsite A) that already has thousands of products entered, and keep adding over time. At the same time, subsite admin B can also add his own products in his store (subsite B), in addition to those fulled from subsite A.

From a visitor/shopper point of view, there is no difference between the products that were pulled from subsite A and the products that were added by current subsite admin B, unless the current subsite admin B use a different category name to differentiate. All products listed on current subsite B can be checked out on current subsite B, and the sales proceeds go to subsite admin B's paypal account.

Network admin makes money by providing thousands of ready-to-go products that all subsite admin can pull directly to their retail store from a network-admin-managed subsite A.

Let's go little further. once the above function can be done, network admin can start to create more subsites (D,E,F,G...) to host different kind of product groups, and provide retail subsite admins with more options to choose from - retail subsite admin B can choose which product groups to pull in to his store, one or multiple groups/susites created by network admin.

Network admin needs to keep updating each product group (subsite A that hold products) duo to availability (add or remove products), pricing changes, image changes etc. Anyway, on site A that managed by network admin, all the pricing entered is retail price (so subsite admin can use directly), and network admin always keeps the price up-to-date, so all retail subsites always show the pulled-in products with the current up-to-date retail pricing automatically (always same price as subsite A).

In summary, the question is: how Marketpress can read in and display another set of product tables from another subsite, beside current subsite's product table?

Thanks for your patience to read this loooooooong post :slight_smile:

• Arun Basil Lal

Hey winning,

I like your idea. While MarketPress doesn't inherently support this, there are ways you could make this work. Lets see.

If you go to your Network Admin > Settings > MarketPress you will see some global shortcodes. These will help us here. You will need to have some understanding with your retailers, but I guess that is not a problem.

First select "Limit Global Widgets/Shortcodes To Main Blog" to NO. This just means that you can use the global shortcodes even on subsites.

Now you need a category (or a tag, but I would prefer a category) for the products you want to be available to all the retailers. Lets say its "GBP"

Now you can use the shortcode like this:

[mp_list_global_products category="GBP"]

Now, if a retailer creates this category and adds products to it, that will also come up here. so to make sure no one uses such a category. This is the kind of understand that I talked about before.

This should work for you, yes?

(All this would have been way easier if we had a blog_id as an attribute, so can you make a new thread over at the feature request section: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/feature-suggestions and lets see what others has to say. Let me know (as a reply to this thread) when that is up, if we get a few votes, I will file it as a feature request. Does this make sense?)

Cheers!

• winning

Hi Arun,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a couple questions about "global shortcodes".

Do you mean, network admin can create subsite A, and then create a product category GBP, and add some products in subsite A under this category GBP. Then, a retailer subsite B can use a global shortcode [mp_list_global_products category="GBP"] to show all the products that are entered on subsite A?

If yes, what happens if a visitor goes to subsite B (retailer site), and add a product that is under GBP category to shopping cart, and click to check out. To whom this visitor will pay to? subsite B or subsite A? considering GBP is originally on subsite A.

My intention is when visitor goes to subsite B to buy something, the payment should go to subsite B.

• winning

@Marketpress Developers

Let me re-phrase my questions :slight_smile:

1. MarketPress, by default, can read the product table of current sub site and display the products on front-end for people to order. That said, theoretically, Markepress should be able to read product table from another sub site as long as it knows where to find it (given the sub-blog id of the other sub site) and display those product on current subsite - with additional custom coding, am I right?

2. If the above can be done, visitors should be able to add any products (either entered by current sub site admin or pulled from the other sub site) to shopping cart, check out and pay current sub site admin. Do you see any limitation/barrier that comes from Marketpress or wordpress MU that may be show-stopper?

I know these are in-depth questions that do not fall into your regular support scope. Just trying to run this by your team first before we head out to the "wrong" direction and bump our heads on the wall :slight_smile:

Do you mind to let us your thoughts? which is well appreciated as usual. Thanks!

• Arun Basil Lal

Hey winning,

Let me get you the answers:

Do you mean, network admin can create subsite A, and then create a product category GBP, and add some products in subsite A under this category GBP. Then, a retailer subsite B can use a global shortcode [mp_list_global_products category="GBP"] to show all the products that are entered on subsite A?

If you have enabled the Global shortcodes for all, (i.e. buy setting "Limit Global Widgets/Shortcodes To Main Blog" to NO) subsite B can use the shorcode and show all products. Yes.

If yes, what happens if a visitor goes to subsite B (retailer site), and add a product that is under GBP category to shopping cart, and click to check out. To whom this visitor will pay to? subsite B or subsite A? considering GBP is originally on subsite A.

That is a very interesting question. I think it should pay to the subsite B, let me ask Aaron regarding this one here. But this should work this way.

:slight_smile:

• Arun Basil Lal

Note to Aaron:

Hey Aaron, hope you remember me asking about using Global shortcodes the other day. Here is what we are trying to do.

Need: Subsite A is the Whole seller, and Subsite B, C and D are retailers. B, C and D should be able to display all products from A along with their individual products. Then a buyer who shops at B,C,or D, pays to the respective retailer.

The solution I thought out was using a common category for the products that need to be available globally. say GBP.

Now B,C and D can use [mp_list_global_products category="GBP"] and get this to work.

Question: If a buyer visiting site B, adds a product of A (the whole seller) to the cart and buys the item, who will get paid? A or B?

Also, please refer to this one: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/can-marketpress-do-this?replies=5#post-198981

Thanks!

• winning

@Aaron

Thanks for clarification on the global listing :slight_smile:

Do you mind to take a look at the possibility of the following method?

1. MarketPress, by default, can read the product table of current sub site and display the products on front-end for people to order. That said, theoretically, Markepress should be able to read product table from another sub site as long as it knows where to find it (given the sub-blog id of the other sub site) and display those product on current subsite - with additional custom coding, am I right?

2. If the above can be done, visitors should be able to add any products he sees on current sub site (either entered by current sub site admin or pulled from the other sub site's product table) to shopping cart, check out and pay current sub site admin. Do you see any limitation/barrier that comes from Marketpress or wordpress MU that may be show-stopper?

I know these are in-depth questions that do not fall into your regular support scope. Just trying to run this by your team first before we head out to the "wrong" direction and bump our heads on the wall :slight_smile:

• winning

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for the insight!

Then, to achieve those 2 functions, I have another "idea" - may be dumb :slight_smile:

It is:

write another plugin to periodically (or super admin maually execute this plugin when needed) read out the "wholesale" sub-site's reference/standard product table, and then automatically creates or update (if the product already exists) products in current "retailer" sub sites - exactly mimicing how the retailer sub site admin would manually do this in wordpress dashboard, such as adding a new product or updating an existing product. So the automatically added products are structured the same as manual entry, and Marketpress would not see any difference between admin's entry or new-plugin's auto entry. This will avoid the check-out problem you mentioned. Does this make sense to you?

Now the problem becomes how to write this new plugin? Reading out a product table on a certain site should not be difficult as long as it knows where to find it. The challenge may be adding or updating a retailer sub site's product table automatically with the referencing/starndard table read-out from another site (whole sale).

We know, Marketpress allows admin to manually import products from wp e-commerce plugin database to Marketpress' product table, I guess we may ask the new plugin to do the same? Or event better, compare the auto entry products on retailer site to the read-out table from the reference table from the other site, and only update changes or add new product items or delete items items not in the reference table . And (importantly) leave alone all the manual product entries done by the sub site admin manually. In other words, the new plugin only touches on the product it created - this may be differentiated by the specailly named categories in Marketpress.

What do you think?

• winning

Aaron, thank you for the great tips!

Yes, hard part is synching them (old ids to new ids). We would have to tag the auto entries with speically named categories or tags, and then,

find/compare old posts to new posts one by one by SKU# , and update the different ones.

I guess once a product is entered in Marketpress, we need to keep it there in order to preserve the existing transaction information, such as how many were sold and to whom it was sold, etc. So, deleting all first and re-posting all again is not an option here.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.