Can MarketPress support rental products?

I have a client who wishes to allow their customers the ability to rent some of their equipment. For this to occur, I would need to vary the pricing based on the number of days they wanted to rent the equipment for AND their location so I would be specifying the allowed zip codes.

Can this be done with MarketPress?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @kylem

I hope you are well today,

I'm afraid out of the box this wouldn't be possible, but could be achieved with custom coding.

Would setting up product variations work, and rename the dropdown box select amount of days? So then you could have the variation as 1,2,3,4, etc? Would that work for you.
    With the ZIP code issue, this may be a little more complex, so basically, you need to validate where they live before allowing checkout?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• kylem
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for your response. Having a select box for the number of days might work. I would have to have some kind of additional input field where they could specify the date they needed it on as well. Does MarketPress come with something like that? A way to throw in a custom field that users can enter a value like a date in?

As for the zip code, that is mostly correct. It would be possible for us to just populate some list with the available zip codes and set it up so they just get directed to some contact us directly page if they don't enter one of those values.

I'm very open to suggestions for handling this. Fortunately I am in the early stages and have not even submitted my bid on the project so I just need to research the best course of action. Thanks so much for your ideas.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @kylem

I hope you are well today, out of the box MarketPress includes variations and I was thinking just using that and setting 31 variations each being a day, so 1 day, 2 days etc.

But then @hpidriver came along with a fantastic suggestion of using Appointments+ for this, this way you could integrate that with MarketPress and just changing some wording, so rather than appointments it's rentals, rather than service providers, it might be equipment, the only thing I do see a problem with is the ZIP code part, as then really the price needs to be dynamic for that, to display a varying price based on distance? In which case that would require some custom coding :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• kylem
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hey, that sounds like a pretty awesome suggestion. There's a good chance that may work to solve the renting of equipment part. I didn't even know that those two plugins worked together.

Still not sure what to do for the other part. Anybody ever done anything like that? Solicit a value from users that determines whether a product is available and how much it costs? I am probably getting close to needing a separate thread I suppose.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @kylem

I hope you are well today, yeah, that should be a pretty good work around and if you get stuck or there are any problems etc, we're here to help :slight_smile:

With regards to the location part, I've never personally done this myself.

I have just been discussing it with the lead developer of Appointments+ and he agrees that it would make a great addition to add geo-location support with dynamic pricing based on distance etc. I'm afraid that doesn't help you now of course though :slight_frown:
    But it is being considered for future implementation :slight_smile:
    You may want to try posting a job on the WPMU DEV job board here https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @kylem

I hope you are well today, no problem your welcome, this is quite a technical one to do, I've looked round for other solutions for you as well, but currently there isn't a straight out of the box way of doing the location part.

Though one other idea I did have and I don't even know if this is possible but it might be, have different pages with different prices etc and just have one overall page and depending on the entered value (the postal code), It will redirect to ex page.

Thanks!

Kind regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @steelteal,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

I'm afraid there hasn't been any movement on this since the last post. While it may be possible to customize for that purpose, it's not something it's been designed to do, so may require a large amount of custom development.

If we can be of any assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.