Can Membership, Directory, Supporter, Marketpress, & Buddypress harmoniously work together?

OK, taking a step back here: Is it possible to run Membership and Supporter together? Or do they cancel out/conflict? Would a client be able to open a store w/o supporter? How does my site handle the signup process?

• Mason

Hiya!

Can Membership, Directory, Supporter, Marketpress, & Buddypress harmoniously work together?

Yes. They can. However, a great bit of it depends on how you want them to work together. What sort of integration are you looking for? What are folks paying for? (the entire site, access to buddypresss/directory, just for the store feature?)

If you install Supporter + Membership you should see an option within Membership to integrate the subscriptions with Supporter.

We are actively developing a new version of Supporter that will really help streamline these processes (charging for sites with specific functions with different level and subscription prices) but right now to create integration outside of Membership (where you could block the admin menus for certain items) isn't possible without custom development.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks!

• tutuology

Well, I'd like for people to be able to open a shop w/ features (for a fee and make a commission on sales): Supporter
    I'd also like for people to have the option of being privileged to certain valuable content, forums, and groups: Membership
    And finally, I'd like to offer a directory AND dedicated advertising: Directory and ? (is there a good theme/plugin that's ad ready?)

In the end, if I can't have what I am hoping for, with all of these running seamlessly, I would choose to scrap the individual store option (supporter).

I could be happy with being an advertising hub, directory, and business guide :slight_smile: Thanks for all your help Mason.

• Mason

Hiya,

Well, I'd like for people to be able to open a shop w/ features (for a fee and make a commission on sales): Supporter

Very doable. I think you've fairly well got this going already, correct? At it's most basic level this is Supporter + MarketPress.

I'd also like for people to have the option of being privileged to certain valuable content, forums, and groups: Membership

Correct. The Membership plugin can help with this, but here's what to think about:
    Do you only offer the Membership content to Supporters? Can someone have access to your forums or groups without having a store? If so, they need to be separate subscriptions. If they're separate subscriptions though - it means folks who want a store AND want a membership package will have 2 subscriptions - that's not so fun for them and can be confusing.

And finally, I'd like to offer a directory AND dedicated advertising: Directory and ? (is there a good theme/plugin that's ad ready?)

This is also doable, but what exactly do you mean by "ad ready"? Who's ads? Who controls them? Do people purchase ads as part of the directory? Who are the ads targeted towards?

There's a lot to think about when putting these things together. It's all very doable, and while we work pretty hard to make our plugins a complete package - it almost always takes at least some custom development to get the solution tailored to your needs.

ah, I see that directory is not compatible w/ buddypress :slight_frown:
    hmmmm, what to do?

We're working on that :slight_smile: A new version of directory is just around the corner. It'll function much more like the Q&A plugin using custom post types and less reliant on the theme.

Hope this helps. There are so many directions to go with each of these tools. You know your market and clients best. Deciding the best route for them is step #1. What things will they find useful? What will they really appreciate - and of course, what will they be willing to pay for?

Take some time and map these out. Then we can find the solution to each of them. With any luck, our products will get ya most of the way there by default.

I'd finally just say that I'm not a proponent of the perfect stopping the good from being released :slight_smile: We often release a 1.0 version of a product around here knowing that folks are going to want features x, y, and z immediately - but if we waited till we had that ready, we may never get it out at all.

There's nothing wrong with launching a membership site in version 1.0 and then adding a store down the road and a directory with ads when the need and viewers are ready to go!

Thanks!

• tutuology

Thanks for the great response Mason. I've given hundreds of hours of thought to all of this, but I've had some obstacles - the main one being that I don't know how to make many of the mod's. I have become familiar w/ firebug, but can't figure out how to find what page I need to modify or fix (something as simple as taking out the colon after my site slogan- which shouldn't be there, but I can't figure out how to remove it). I am somewhat comfortable with changing some coding, but can't figure out how to change the html or how to identify and fix errors. I am dedicated to learning this though :slight_smile: I will learn it!

I am still having issues with my shopping cart. I know it works, but there is overlapping and buttons that have barely any color (so it's hard to see that they are there). This needs to be fixed.

I have finally mapped out exactly how I want everything and have attached a screen shot. Before I can move forward though, I need to probably clean things up, and delete stuff that is unnecessary. I also have concerns that I might not have created the network child theme properly as there are far less files in child. Phil mentioned a fresh install, and I am wondering if that's the route I should take? Would I lose anything?

• Mason

Hiya,

I know you've put a ton of time and effort into this. I think we've all at some point been impressed by how quickly you've been able to put things together and grabbed on to some things.

Honestly, I think the best scenario for you would be to find someone to work with you on small bits of development at a time. Help you get this up and running quickly - and also explain the process used to get the exact integration you're looking for. An experienced developer/consultant could help by not only making recommendations, but by actually implementing the changes and sharing what they did.

Getting started well is important and (in my opinion) often worth the up front investment.

As for the colon issue on your main page. Isn't that just under the Advanced Options>Branding tab? Check the Site Slogan field and see if there's an extra colon.

I have finally mapped out exactly how I want everything and have attached a screen shot. Before I can move forward though, I need to probably clean things up, and delete stuff that is unnecessary.

Yep. Glad to see you're taking the time to put some thoughts down on paper. That'll help in the long run. As to a re-install of WordPress itself, you can overwrite the WordPress files without fear of losing any of your information - that's totally fine.

Where you may still find trouble is if there is something in the database that's not set up correctly or, as you mentioned the child theme not being correct. Again, might be worth paying just to have a set of experienced eyes look over it for ya.

We try to help out as much as possible here, but sometimes a little custom work is the best solution. We have several developers available here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Specific questions though, we'll gladly continue to field for ya right here on the forums :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.