Can Membership Do the Following?

Hi there,

I'm hoping that I can get Membership to do all the things I'm needing in a membership plugin after running into roadblocks with S2 Member and Wishlist Member.

So I'm going to list off some questions here that I am looking to accomplish with Membership. Can it do these things? And if so, how?

1. When a user joins the site, can User Registration emails be set up and configured to go out to our office indicating who joined and at what level?

2. I've read in forums posts like this one ( https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/role-permissions ) that it was at one time possible to add an add-on called Integrated WP Roles to Membership that allowed for the management of Wordpress user roles for Membership member levels. Is this still possible? I don't see add-ons anywhere in my version of the plugin and don't see the ability to configure user roles with Membership. I need this in order to have Membership's member levels be visible to WP-Types/Views/CRED/Access, which I am using to manage an array of custom post types and the dynamic display of that content. I need certain member levels to be able to work with their own inputted info via Types/Views, and yet without having WP user roles connected to Membership member levels, the Access plugin can't "see" the Membership members.

3. Is it possible to direct different member levels to different pages upon registration completion and normal login? It looks like I only have the option of sending users to one page -- no matter their membership level. Is it possible to get more granular with the control of different member levels and what those member levels' users see when they login to their account?

4. As far as the multi-site functionality goes, with Membership can I have a member sign up for a certain member level on one site in the network and have that membership level be recognized and configurable (in terms of what content they can access) on one of the other sites in the network?

Thank you SO MUCH for all the great support provided in these forums. If I haven't been clear enough with these questions, please let me know and I'll clarify as best as I can.

Thanks!

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hi there,

For starters, let me say that Membership should be able to accommodate whatever you want to do because it is very flexible. To orient yourself, here is a collection of videos that a member produced which I find useful to introduce you to the plugin.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/video-tutorial-how-to-set-up-a-membership-site#post-247873

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Paul

Plugin Trouble? Follow the chart: http://marker.to/K0G5yg

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

For #4, Theoretically it's possible, but I've never tried to set it up. We can work on that together and with the rest of the team, though. A multisite installation is going to share a user base, so your users will be the same throughout the network, but that doesn't mean that they'll have access to everything. It's quite normal for site admins to not even know what other sites are on the network, especially if not advertised. But if you give users access to multiple sites, their login and profile information will be constant, even if their access levels will vary with what they have access to on a given site.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Paul

Want to change Q&A background color? Ask Patrick!

• matt33138
    • Flash Drive

Hi Paul,

Thanks for trying to help.

Regarding your direction to those videos -- I understand how to set up a basic membership site, so those aren't really the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanks, though.

Regarding your answer to #1, with the pings -- the documentation only handles integrating a new user with a MailChimp list. I just need an email automatically sent out to an admin email address with the information of the user who joined. I don't know enough about the Remote Ping function to know whether this is possible. But the documentation definitely doesn't cover how to do this, and I'm wondering if it's even possible at all. API integration doesn't seem to be the issue here...it's more how Membership hooks into the wp_mail function to send an outgoing email to a chosen email address and then uses constants like %levelname% to indicate information about the user that joined. But actually creating this functionality is beyond me codewise at this point--can anyone help?

Regarding #2 -- no, I'm not using Buddypress. We are using WP-Symposium, but the main member level on this site doesn't have anything to do with Symposium.

• matt33138
    • Flash Drive

That's good to know about #3 -- is there a preferable way to set this up?

#4 was the least urgent of my requests, so simply knowing that this is theoretically possible is good enough for me for now. The additional functionality translating members from one sub-site to another is still to come, but that's great to know that it could be set up.

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hi there,

I marked this as resolved because I saw your question as a hypothetical one. Once you get into integrating your Membership, you will have more specific questions related to real obstacles you are coming across. Burying them into this thread, which is already long, would be an injustice because it's those answers that I would think you'd care more about. But I suppose it's perceptual. You may see this as unhelpful while I see it as helping you more than you know.

Cheers,
    Paul

"Try it, you'll like it!"

~Advice from an Alka Seltzer ad.

• matt33138
    • Flash Drive

Hi Paul,

Only question #4 was hypothetical.

My need for feeling assisted by the support forum was definitely not met by your responses.

Also, as I don't have much experience posting in these forums, how would I know that you wanted me to go open up new threads for each of my questions that I didn't feel were fully answered? I would have rather you instruct me on that directly rather than have me posting in a thread that someone else marked as "resolved."

• matt33138
    • Flash Drive

Hey Paul,

All good--you didn't make me bristle. (Thankfully this stuff isn't life and death, y'know?)

Thanks for this back and forth and I totally see the spirit of helpfulness permeating these forums. Thanks for being such a big part of that.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.