Can Multi Site be Added Later?

Hi, can you tell me, if I start an ecommerce shop for my client can I change it to mutisite later, or do I have to do that at the beginning when I do the wordpress install?

• faydra_deon
    • WordPress Warrior

@Emex Online:

You can do it later, but you may want to go ahead and do it now if you think there’s a chance you might want it later.

Once you start adding content and plugins and customizations and so on, you may have a harder time adding multisite later, since all the themes and plugins will be controlled by the network.

You may also lose the choice of choosing subdirectories or subdomains if you wait until later. You may be forced into one as opposed to the other, and the one you get forced into may not be the one you really want.

If you decide later that you don’t need multisite, then you can just update wp-config.php to remove it, and it will do it without much being involved.

Faydra…

• Emex Online
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Ok, thank you. One more question then… I selected multisite for the last wordpress install that I did, but then when i went to log into the site for example….

mysite.com/wp-admin

it just get redirecting to

mysite.com

How do you log into multi site?

So do all the plugins have to be the same on all those sites if I do multi site?

But then could the checkout page be the same? is that possible? Otherwise I will need more than one SSL if its two different sites?

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi,

Further to what @faydra_deon stated above (thanks for that Faydra, hope you had a good xmas)

If wp-admin was being redircted to your homepage, it sounds like something might have gone wrong.

I don’t know what host you are using, & I have never used an autoinstaller to install wordpress.

It’s always best to install wordpress manually via FTP imo as this creates less dependancy, autoinstallers can add other scripts to the install, which can give issues later on.

There’s a good guide here which might help you. http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-install-and-setup-wordpress-multisite-network/

with regards to SSL, with a multisite, as they are on the same network regardless, you will only need 1 SSL cert.

if you choose the subdomain multisite option your subsite urls will look like;

http://subsite.domain.com

with subfolder option they will look like;

http://domain.com/subsite/

I much prefer subdomains.

with subdomains all you need is a wildcard SSL cert. these aren’t much more than a normal single ssl cert.

with a subfolder site, you only need the one single SSL cert.

Hope this helps

• faydra_deon
    • WordPress Warrior

@Emex Online:

Sites on subdomains in multisite are not the same as “traditional” subdomains.

With multisite, it’s all one install, and you can think of the subsites as “virtual” sites, kind of sort of, but they’re not separate from the main install. You don’t set them up outside multisite with their own WordPress files.

I hope that makes sense.

Faydra…

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.