Can no longer get custom sidebar meta box to save dropdown selection

This all used to work fine. Took me a while to track problem down to generic problem with your plugin's interaction with my theme (I suppose). Here's what I can say.

All performance of (recently updated to latest Pro version) works as expected. I can add and see all custom sidebars. Furthermore I can get these sidebars to appear on pages via the "sidebar locations" link, say for all posts of a given type.

All the sidebars also appear in the dropdown for the Custom Sidebar metabox, and these can be selected. When I update the post, however, the selection reverts to an empty entry (or the sidebar selected in the past).

And by this last comment, what I mean is that back when this all used to work, I had specified certain sidebars for certain pages, and now these pages are 'stuck' with that setting. New pages are 'stuck' on empty.

Hope that makes some sense. Any help debugging this would be greatly appreciated,

John Richter

• Michael Bissett

Hey @John, hope you're doing well today, and welcome to WPMU DEV!

This all used to work fine. Took me a while to track problem down to generic problem with your plugin's interaction with my theme (I suppose). Here's what I can say.

Two questions about this:

- When you say "This all used to work fine", what was it that you changed on your site to cause this to occur?
    - Would be I correct in assuming that you've already had a look at our troubleshooting flowchart:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/getting-support/

I noticed that you were using W3 Total Cache on your site, and I'm curious as to whether that's the problem here.

Please advise,
    Michael

• John

Thanks for quick reply, much appreciated. I wish I had noticed at the moment (of potential updating), but can't usefully pinpoint anything as to what may have triggered it. I first thought it was a problem only with a new custom page type we were starting to use, but as I started to try to understand problem I couldn't get custom sidebars to 'stick' for regular ol' web pages, and then I noticed that those assigned in the past are 'stuck' with current custom sidebars for when this all used to work.

I don't have a sandbox area -- I'm not technically very competent, and haven't figured out how to do this yet. hence reluctant to brute force disable all plugins. I did de-activate W3 Total Cache to test things -- doesn't seem to have made a difference.

This may motivate me to set-up a sandbox to test things a bit, but if you have any particular ideas to try to figure out how to debug any other way, I'm all ears.

John

• John

OK, spent some effort getting a local sandbox version of site downloaded to my computer. I can confirm that problem is conflict with Admin Columns Pro plugin Version 3.0.8.4 | By Codepress.

Not ideal to have this plugin disabled, as it helps me manage user lists, etc. As it seems, I can disable this admin to set custom sidebars, then renable and these sidebars are simply 'locked in', but again, not ideal.

Any ideas as to why your plugin doesn't play happy with that one? Any tweaks to do there that might fix problem short of disabling it?

John

• Ash

Hello @John

I think somehow that plugin is interfering on saving the meta field. I have tried in different way but unluckily none of those worked.

For now, maybe you need to do as you thought, disable the plugin when set a sidebar for a page and then re-enable it.

Also, I will be keep in touch with the developer if he can figure out any issue with our plugin, he will definitely fix it.

Thanks
    Ash