Can not create sub-sites anymore?

Hi,

Can not create sub-sites anymore? Can you also answer all previous questions in other topics because the view users i have will cancel their account.

Regards.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @kevin, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

After looking at your site some, I noticed that you had registration pages for both BuddyPress and Membership configured (not a good idea). After disabling the BuddyPress registration page (as well as the activation page), I ended up getting a "Page Not Found" message when I tried to activate a new site on your network.

(originally, when those BuddyPress pages I mentioned were active, I was getting a 403 error from your host)

Could you try disabling Membership, BuddyPress & Peter's Login Direct on your site, and seeing if it's possible to create a new site then? If so, then please try re-enabling each one, one at a time, and testing by creating a new site, so we can try to narrow down the issue here?

Please advise,
    Michael

• kevin

The reason I had configured those BuddyPress pages was to get rid of the messages that the pages where not associated with WordPress pages. Your college told me to do that.

It seems to work now. Do you think it is better to bring membership or premium content to a sub-site like Ari said or can I keep it on the main domain? Maybe it conflicts with marketpress or the website activation option from Buddypress? Can you give me more information on this please?

Best regards.
    Kevin.

• Ash

Hello kevin

I hope you are well today.

Membership has no known conflict with buddypress and marketpress. Also, you can keep the membership in the main domain. Though I am not sure in what perspective Ari said that, maybe the situation was too complex?

Anyway, about the registration you can't use both registration page enabled. You need to use either membership registration or buddypress registration page. If you deselect the page for register option from either plugin, other one will work perfectly.

So, as you said, creating new sites is working now?

Cheers
    Ash

• kevin

Can you explain how membership interacts between main site and sub-sites? It seems that sub-site users can activate membership in their dashboard while the plugin is not network activated while other plugins can only be used when they are network activated?

I don't want to have conflicts when the amount of users on the site starts to grow you understand that this is a big responsibility?

Therefore I ask you for the most safe conditions in order to use all plugins without conflicts. From this perspective it is maybe better to separate all major plugins as much as possible sure when having more users. Can you please tell me what is the most safe condition in this opinion?

I was thinking to make a sub-site or domain for members to divide users traffic and website visitors traffic? Can you please tell me what will give the best performances?

• Ash

Hello Kevin

Can you explain how membership interacts between main site and sub-sites? It seems that sub-site users can activate membership in their dashboard while the plugin is not network activated while other plugins can only be used when they are network activated?

No, membership doesn't make any difference. Let me explain.

If you network activate a plugin, the plugin is available for use to all subsites. But if you do not network activate a plugin, then subsite admins need to activate the plugin in order to use. The exception is only network based plugin. Doesn't matter if you network activate or deactivate a network only plugin (like pro sites), it will be available only for network admin, in no other subsites.

There is no safe conditions to avoid conflict, I am afraid. Normally plugins from same vendors doesn't conflict or the have a very little amount of conflict. But when you will use plugins and themes from different vendors (we need to as no one can fill our all demand) there are possibilities of conflict. You need to test it, if conflicts you need to ask the developer to help and if the developer can't help, you need to leave the less important plugin.

What you can do is to create a subsite for members, forward them to those subsites and use Pro Site plugin's premium plugin feature to restrict the plugins in that subsite.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• kevin

Yes I think that is a good idea.

If I make a sub-site for members only content, can I make a redirect link then on the menu bar from the main site to the register page of the sub-site? Also do I need to make a redirect from the main site to the log-in page of the members sub-site or can they directly log-in from the main site?

After someone singed up on the members sub-site I will direct them to a welcome page where they can activate their own site. Is it possible to let them activate their own site on the main domain from that welcome page on the sub-site? Or can I just simply direct them to a welcome page on the main site and let them activate their site from there?

What is the most easy solution?

Regards,
    Kevin.

• Ash

Well, I am not getting a clear idea about this sorry, What do you mean by send them to activate? If an user creates an subsite, he should get an email with a link and by clicking that link his site is auto activated.

If you enable registration in subsites, users wont be able to create subsite from there. To create a subsite an user must register from main site.

Cheers
    Ash

• kevin

What is the connection between Budypress and multisite? Can you tell me more about the process there how it exactly works? The reason that I don't want users to directly register for a site is because I will first give them info on how to choose the right name for their site.

What I can do maybe is make a sub-site for premium content where I can explain how to choose the right name for their site and direct them from there to a page on the main site where they can make a site.

The reason I want to separate premium content is to divide paid traffic and visitors to keep the site fast.

What is the best place to have my community pages on the main site or on the members content sub-site. How does Budypress interacts here?

Like is said before I want to have all major plugins (marketpress, prosites, budypress, membership) as much as possible separated so I am sure that it will not slow down the site when more visitors are coming.

I have granted access to the site for you to take a look. Would you take the time please to take a deep look into my site and let me know what the best is for me to do so we don't need to discuss this over and over and that I don't have to much issues in the future? you have already an account so you can also login as a user to have a better understanding.

Regards,
    Kevin.

• Ash

Hello @Kevin

I hope you are well today.

Buddypress and multisite is two different things. Multisite helps you turn you single wordpress site into a number of single sites in a network where you can maintain those from a single platform. Buddypress turns your site into a social networking site. Where your registered users can share stuffs between them, create group etc.

About the registration process you want, create a page first called register and give the info about how to choose correct name. Create a menu item or link and link to that register page. In the register page, use another link to send Join Now page. That join now page should be selected as register page in buddypress page settings.

Buddypress must be network activated to work properly in a multisite. So, there is no option to send them into a subsite for BP features. Well there are some way, but those are pretty complex.

Pro Sites is another plugin that must need to be network activated. There is no single activation for this plugin either.

For membership and marketpress, you can use subsite. So, the registered users must need to subscribe in that subsite to access membership content. And marketpress for a subsite is definitely a good idea, so the shop would be separated.

Cheers
    Ash

• kevin

About the registration process you want, create a page first called register and give the info about how to choose correct name. Create a menu item or link and link to that register page. In the register page, use another link to send Join Now page. That join now page should be selected as register page in buddypress page settings.

Create a menu item or link and link to that register page. Can you specify which register page do you mean? To create a website? what is the name of that page?

In the register page, use another link to send join now page? What do you mean with that?

If I select a page for Buddypress registration then I am redirected to the home page instead of the selected page?

Regards,
    Petra

• Ash

Erm... who am I talking to? Kevin or Petra or Anja? Sorry, it confuses me, lol.

Anyway, about the query:

Create a menu item or link and link to that register page. Can you specify which register page do you mean? To create a website? what is the name of that page?

Page and site is totally different. When you say main page, do you mean main site or home page?

My suggested registration process was:
    1. Create a page - Join now from Pages > Add new
    2. Create another page - Register > Add new
    3. Add a menu item called Register and link to register page from Appearances > Menus.
    4. In register page describe how an user should choose a site name and add a link and link to Join Now page
    5. Go to Settings > Buddypress > Pages and select Join now as register page.

If I make premium content on a sub-site do I also need to bring the Buddypress community pages also to the sub-domain or is it better to keep community pages and forum on the main page?

I said in my earlier post, you need to network activate BuddyPress to use full feature of it. Also, the users must be user of that subdomain site where you want to put premium content.

Cheers
    Ash

• kevin

Ok. thanks Ash it is clear to me know. I will do it like you said. It is the best way to make full use of all features of your plugins.

I still have a few questions. I will let them activate their site after I have explained how to choose the right name on the register page with a link to the BP register page. For the site I think it is the best to let them sign up for free. What do you think?

How do I implement the paid membership upgrades? Do I need to do that on the same register page. Can you specify what is the best way to do that?

Best regards,
    Kevin.

• kevin

You said to make full use of Buddypress features for every user I need to activate it network wide. I have seen that the pages activity and groups are from the main site therefore if I will have the community pages like activity, groups and sites on the premium website then actually it is the best to link from the premium sub-site to the main site and protect them on the premium sub-site if necessary. Is that correct? and so I need to do for forum also?

Please advice.

• Ash

For the site I think it is the best to let them sign up for free. What do you think?

That totally depends on your business plan :slight_smile:

How do I implement the paid membership upgrades? Do I need to do that on the same register page. Can you specify what is the best way to do that?

Did you check the membership usage page? And tutorials? You need to define some pages for membership settings, except register page as you are using BP register page.

PDF: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Membership-Manual3450.pdf
    Video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV1BcivFAIdtF4p7CYVfMbVAJ4JQ1Rpe9

I have seen that the pages activity and groups are from the main site therefore if I will have the community pages like activity, groups and sites on the premium website

When you network activate BP pages, you can't use activity, groups etc in a subsite, all must be used via the main site.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.