Can Not Enter API Key for Splog

Since this 1 week, I try to input my API Key, but this message always shows ----> There was a problem connecting to the API server. Please try again later. Any help needed (*_*)

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi @goverian

Thank you for being a member and for posting to the forum.

Can I recommend that, before we do anything else, you uninstall the Anti-Splog completely from your root directory and install our Beta version (improved Update Notification Plugin) WPMU DEV Dashboard. It's available for download here:

Update Notifications: WPMU DEV Dashboard Plugin 3.0 beta (Update Notifications)

The best way to install it would be via your FTP Client, uploaded to the plugins folder under wp-content. (Let me know if you need help with this.) You can also read more about using an FTP Client for updates here.

Now once you've installed the WPMU DEV Dashboard, it will ask for your API key. You can find this key in your WPMU DEV Private Profile.

Once you've installed the Dashboard you would be able to install any plugin of WPMU DEV with ease. Just click on the image of the plugin or theme you would like to install and voila, it will install.

So click on Anti-Splog image and install it again. Once you've done this see if the problem persist with your API not working.

Hope I've been helpful in any way. If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to be in contact

Have a good day and all the best with your site!

GinaB

• aecnu

Greetings goverian,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

• wash

Hello,

I am experiencing same problem with Anti-Splog.

I followed GinaB advice and installed beta WPMU Dashboard Plugin, it highlites my API code green (as it is correct), but doesn't see any plugins, updates - both installed or not. So I am unable to install Anti-Splog via recommended beta plugin. What does it indicate? Now I have problem with dashboard as well as with Anti-Splog...

How do you think?

Thanks,
    Milosz

• aecnu

Greetings goverian,

I have installed this key on several sites without any problems.

Have you checked with your hosting company to see if your server is allowed to communicate with other servers?

Have you made sure that a space was not included in the key if you did a copy and paste as windows sometimes likes to insert?

Please advise with the results of checking to the two above mentioned items.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Joe

• PC

@all :

Initially it happened with me as well, then I noticed that I was not entering the details correctly, i.e. I had the site installed with a www and was adding site in antisplog page without a www.

then I played around a bit and was able to get it fixed.

@Joe, I agree with what you said, however more likely it might be an issue either with the copy and paste or the www thing.

I also found a thread in our support discussions @ https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/anti-splog-there-was-a-problem-connecting-to-the-api-server-please-try-again-later-1

If you have shell access to the server, you can use the following command to find out if it's resolving the name servers correctly:
    nslookup premium.wpmudev.org

That should return the IP address of the domain, something like this:

Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
    Address:  208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    premium.wpmudev.org
    Address:  66.135.49.214

If it correctly returns 66.135.49.214 then the next step is to find out why it isn't connecting. If you have a lot of traffic, or your name server is throttling your connections, then you might be better off adding the following line to your servers 'hosts' file. You can find that here on linux machines:
    /etc/hosts

And here on windows:
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Open the file in any simple text editor and add the following text on a line by itself:
    66.135.49.214 premium.wpmudev.org

Then try activating anti-splog again.
    Note that if you edit your hosts file, it's absolutely critical that you look there first the next time you have a related problem, because if the IP address changes you MUST update it in your hosts file!

Cheers,
    PC

• aecnu

Greetings goverian and wash,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.