Can Pay Per View be customized to purchase unlimited views...?

My client would like two prices: unlimited views or 24 hours only. I was going to use Membership, but Pay Per View seems a better solution if I can add the unlimited option. Is that possible?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @jamesdonegan

I hope you are well today.

Out of the box Pay Per View, has three options, a one time view of the content, a daily pass for all content or a recurring subscription, which may suit the situation more.

Could you describe the site a little bit more, what it's going to be etc, Then I can advise if membership or pay per view would be better :slight_smile:

So you in Pay Per View, you'd basically need a finite option so that once they have paid, they have access to the content for ever, correct?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great weekend!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• jamesdonegan

Thanks for your response!

This client has a series of instructional DVDs, and we're introducing the most popular DVDs in streaming form. There will be 16 DVDs at launch and over 40 in the indefinite future (depending on success and consumer response).

So each of these streaming DVDs will be available to watch for X dollars for unlimited views for 24 hours or Y dollars for unlimited views (for as long as the website exists).

Furthermore, if someone has purchase the video for 24 hours, they should be able to "upgrade" to unlimited views by simply paying the difference in membership price.

e.g. Intro to Ballet Barre

USER JOHN pays $29.99 to "own" the video and watch it on our website (streaming only -- no downloads) indefinitely.

USER LOUISE pays $14.99 to watch the video a few times for a 24 hour period. Once that 24 hours is up, she no longer has access to the video.

USER MARY pays $14.99 to watch the video for 24 hours, but halfway through that time, she wants to own it forever and can pay $15 to upgrade her purchase and watch it on our website as many times as she'd like for as long as our site exists.

There's no subscription (which I tried to sell the client on, but he's not into it). They either "rent" their access to the video for 24 hours or "own" it indefinitely.

Is that helpful?

THANK YOU!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @jamesdonegan

I hope you are well today, yes that is very helpful.

In this particular use case, I believe Membership would be more suited, as you can for example set up a subscription for $29.99 for the video, this would be an indefinite/finite subscription, that last's for as long as you set and doesn't auto renew.

At any time using membership, they can upgrade their account to access more content.

Or as you said the client doesn't really want subscriptions in that use case. You could then use Pay Per View for the 24hr access.

But the sticking point is the indefinite access, as like I said it could be done with membership, but it'd still be referred to as a "subscription", maybe protect the page the video is on and they purchase the video using MarketPress, the client then manually assigns them the correct access level for access to what they purchased?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• jamesdonegan

I think the best thing is going to be to use Membership and just create two member levels for each page -- a 24 hour and an unlimited. So if there are 41 videos, there will be 82 member levels. And let's hope he doesn't hit 50 videos before you guys make it extendable.

It seems terrible inefficient, but I know he doesn't want to sit and manually do anything, which means I'd wind up doing it, and -- even though they're billable hours -- I wouldn't want to spend my days clicking checkboxes. :slight_smile:

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @jamesdonegan

I hope you well today.

Thank you for the update and additional information, Have you got a screenshot please of the page you created? As that visitor shortcode shouldn't be showing there.

Also I presume that the 1 video that does show should show for visitors correct? Or should that also be protected.

With regards to additional content, you'll need to include some manual text, like "sign up here to get full access" or something along those lines, as membership doesn't actually tell them there is other content there if that makes sense?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @jamesdonegan

You'll need to wrap the video in the shortcode for your visitor level, so it then doesn't show. Could i have a screenshot from you admin area of that page opened up in the WordPress editor?

With regards to where you want to link to, that would depend, would this be for existing users who want to upgrade or for new users that want to signup?

If it's new users, you'll want to link them to your signup page, which may be yourdomain.com/register, you can find which page it is in membership > options > pages.

If it's existing subscribers, you'll want to link them to the subscriptions page which is also defined in the membership > options > membership pages.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• jamesdonegan

I am sorry to show back up here. I'm so so so confused.

I don't understand how a user can upgrade from one membership level to another.

Here's the deal -- to re-acquiant.

Three options at play. Numbers 1 & 2 are easy. 3 is kicking my ass.

1. USER "JOHN" wants 24 access to a video. He pays $19.99, and allows it to expire after that time.

2. USER "MARY" wants unlimited access to a video forever and pays $34.99.

.... but ....

3. USER "JESSICA" pays the $19.99 but after her 24-hour period, she decides she wants to upgrade to unlimited access and only pay the $15 difference. (The client would like to work so that if she EVER comes back at ANY time, she can pay that $15. I'd settle for her having to pay it within the initial 24 hours.)

I can see how to automatically upgrade Jessica after her initial 24 hours, but I'm uncomfortable doing that without at least asking her permission before that $15 "bump" is charged. I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.