Can regular users (subscribers) still sign up for free on sub sites?

Can regular users (subscribers) still sign up for free on the sub sites if membership is enable on the main site?

I want to enable membership on the main site for selling new sub-sites to sub-site admins. For people who want to sign up as subscribers on each sub site, I want them to sign up as they do on a regular wordpress site, without going through the membership signup interface.

For instance, someone pays me to activate a sub site in my WPMU network. Now he is the sub site admin, on his sub site, he uses Events+ plugin to sell tickets to his customers, which requires his customers to sign up as a user (subscriber) to RSVP and pay. The question is: how can I set up the WPMU and plugin, so when new users - his customers - (subscribers) register on a sub site, they just see the regular sign up interface, not the membership signup interface?

Is it possible?

• aecnu

Greetings winning,

I want to enable membership on the main site for selling new sub-sites to sub-site admins.

Membership does not perform this function, it is Pro Sites plugin that does this. Why someone would want to go through the grief of setting up Membership for this when Pro Sites is the main claim to fame for this function I have no idea.

Once Membership is activated it takes over the entire network unless activated site by site.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• winning

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

Membership does not perform this function, it is Pro Sites plugin that does this.

I see.

Once Membership is activated it takes over the entire network

The reasons to have membership plugin are

1. Offer sub-site admins some content and the forum that is not accessable by the public
    2. Limit some backend dashboard menu access based on the membership levels
    3. Only allow paid member of the main site can create and mangement sub sites

Can the membership plugin do all that?

unless activated site by site

Does that mean? if I only active membership plugin on the main site, when people sign up on any of the sub sites, they will not see the membership sign up interface, and they will see the regular wordpress sign up (register as subscribers) interface. Right?

• aecnu

Greetings winning,

Great response and thank you for sharing more details with me that indicate that indeed the Membership plugin may be the right one for this mission but of course combined with Pro Sites:

The reasons to have membership plugin are

1. Offer sub-site admins some content and the forum that is not accessable by the public
    2. Limit some backend dashboard menu access based on the membership levels
    3. Only allow paid member of the main site can create and mangement sub sites

Can the membership plugin do all that?

From my understanding and limited experience with Membership, which does indeed take over the entire site, using Memberships built in add on for Pro Sites they will indeed be able to create sites.

Using Membership you should be able to control every aspect of the site to include whom can make a sub site and what the public can or cannot see.

I believe that covers it all.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.