Can Sites in MultiSite Network have individual databases?

I am setting up a WP multisite network at an organization that hosts other sites of other organizations under it. Is it possible to add sites to the multisite network that have individual databases?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Fidel,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The Multisite install by design uses a single database. There are some common tables inside and tables dedicated to the specific sub-sites but that's still the single database.

There's a decommissioned plugin in our repository that's called "Multi-DB" and it was designed to let you "split" that single database across multiple separate databases. You can find it here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-db/

Still though, it's not quite what you need. Furthermore, it would require assistance of a developer to get it set up and maintained as it's no longer developed and supported so it may not even be fully compatible with current WordPress.

The bottom line is: I don't think it would be easy to achieve and even then you would most likely need a custom developed solution.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Fidel

Hi Adam,
    I am well today and I hope you are good too!
    Thank you for the reply and the Multi-DB decommissioned plugin link :
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-db/
    " Multi-DB is a decommissioned plugin but remains available to partition your database and help maximise how WordPress Multisite content is managed on your server." - This statement explains it well to me and knowing that the plugin has been tested on working WPmultisites, the following statement gives me confidence to go ahead and use the plugin on the multisite network that I am building:
    " Multi-DB has been decommissioned but remains available for your convenience.
    If you’re in need of a tool that spreads sites on your network across multiple database tables, Multi-DB has been tested and used on thousands of sites since 2008."
    Thank you Adam!

Kind regards,
    Fidel

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Fidel!

I'm glad I could help :slight_smile:

I would however stress out that even though we keep the Multi-DB plugin available for you, there's a risk involved. Please be aware that decommissioned plugins remain available, but no longer receive updates or guaranteed support from our staff. It's also very complex plugin so it may require some special attention.

It's not that I'm trying to "talk you out" of this, I just want to make sure that you know the risk. I believe you understand my point of view :slight_smile:

Have a great day!
    Adam

• Andi

Hi Adm wouldn't it be much more practical for WPMUDEV to pack all those plugins you have decommisiioned into a git repository where members could conect to and start further maintaining and even enriching those plugins or tak examples to develop new plugins with better functionailty around it rather that those plugins which have been decommissioned appear again as new plugins in the wordpress repository under another named and a cleaner structure but no more assigned to WPMUDEV or even appear on codecanyon or Themeforest as a custom plugin rewritten like modern programmers call the way of modern copywriting of code?

I really would recommend to
      1. mark those plugins as decommissioned as even I would not know that if not somebody would have asked that question here
      2. make it available as git repository which could be branched and further maintained with perhaps even a maintainer out of that community who will take care that it stays secure. In my opinion this would help WPMUDEVand all its community much better than a "rewritten" copy of it!

With no more maintaining plugins or with slow or incomplete development as well as with security issues which might need to get solved you will always force people to fork the plugin and develop it further on their own, which is legally always possible thanks to the fact that all WPMUDEV plugins have to be GNU GPL2 and which might even would help other WPMUDEV members if that rewritten plugin would than appear in a public perhaps even the Wordpress community but which would also demonstrate that on the other hand the WPMUDEV community itself seems not to be capable or being blocked for whatever reason to take care for those problems themselves and keep things inside the community maintained even the company which runs WPMUDEV has already decommissioned this and that plugin without providing a good alternative.

I think it would really be worth to think about mobilizing the unique power which all kind of developers in that community bring for the benefit of all WPMUDEV plugins and of course for their members.

Thanks
      Andi

Kind regards Andi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.