Can snapshot back up a standalone site and then restore it to a multisite installation?

Before I waste a ton of time on this I need to verify if Snapshot can take a standalone installation backup file and then import it into a multisite install?

Likewise, can I take a snapshot backup from one multisite install and then import it on a different install?

Finally, are there any plans to directly import from Amazon S3 rather than having to copy and upload files to be imported?

Thank you for the help.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @johnol

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

if Snapshot can take a standalone installation backup file and then import it into a multisite install?

It might be possible, theoretically, but there could be some issues with user synchronization. Let me ask the develoepr @Paul about this.

can I take a snapshot backup from one multisite install and then import it on a different install?

Yes.

Finally, are there any plans to directly import from Amazon S3 rather than having to copy and upload files to be imported?

You can ask this as a feature request in a different thread. One of our staff will move that to right section.

Cheers
    Ash

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@johnol,

Before I waste a ton of time on this I need to verify if Snapshot can take a standalone installation backup file and then import it into a multisite install?

Yes. Snapshot works well in that regard. Though there is one known issue. You cannot reply the primary site in your Multisite. This just creates problems. Note the migrations logic is still considered beta.

Likewise, can I take a snapshot backup from one multisite install and then import it on a different install?

Yes here also. You can take a sub-sute from one Multisite install and move it to a different Multisite. Or install as a stand alone. In both cases you must have a running destination WordPress system. Even on the stand alone you must first install the base WordPress. On the Multisite you must also first create the destination sub-site in the Network admin. Snapshot does not do this for you. Note the migrations logic is still considered beta.

You no longer need to download the archive to your local system then upload to your site. You can now using the new Snapshots > Import page.

Be aware of the notation on the Import page that you cannot directly import from say your Dropbox account. You must first move/copy the archive to a public area on the remote system. On S3 this is really just marking the archive as public and grabbing the URL. On Dropbox you need to copy the archive out of Apps/WPMU DEV Snapshot/... to some public folder. Then grab the URL. Run the import, delete the file from public.

• johnol
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Awesome - this could be really great news. As I haven't completed the process yet, you say that one needs to pre-configure the site that's going to be "imported" - so does Snapshot let me specify the target site? I've only used Snapshot in a stand-alone environment for testing and haven't yet run it in multisite.

Also thanks for the suggestion regarding S3. That's a great point and I'll bear that in mind.

You've stressed quite clearly that this support is "beta" so when do you expect it will be "officially" recognized as rock-solid?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@johnol.

so does Snapshot let me specify the target site?

Sorry, no. What I meant was you cannot use a snapshot archive to just create a new WordPress site. You must first have WordPress installed and configured. Then install the Snapshot plugin. Then import then restore the archive from the previous site.

And not there is nothing you need to do on the source site when creating the archive. We thought about doing something like that but decided the better solution was to just create a normal snapshot archive. This way you don't need to prepare the archive in any special way.

So to give you a walkthrough on the process:

1. SOURCE SITE: site create the normal snapshot archive. you probably want to select all table and all file.
    2. DESTINATION SiTE: Make sure WordPress is installed to your liking. Install the latest version of Snapshot.
    3. DESTINATION SiTE: Import the archive from the source system.
    4. DESTINATION SiTE: Once you have the archive imported you can then go to Snapshots > All Snapshot listing and see it there. Hover on the first column to show the 'restore' option link. Click it.
    5. DESTINATION SiTE: On the next panel it will show the details of the snapshot archive. Select it and move to the next panel.
    6. DESTINATION SiTE: On the last panel it will should a split column interface. On the left is the information from the source system. On the right is the information for the local system. This lets you verify things like the database prefix, site URL, upload URL. See screenshot from one of my own Multisite systems. If you are restoring to a regular WordPress you obviously not see the 'change' button which lets you select the sub-site to restore to. Also on the page are sections to restore database tables and file groups (plugins, themes, uploads).
    7. Once the restore begins it create temporary database table. These tables have a leading underscore like _wp_options. These temp tables are used to stage the migrated database tables. Once each table import is finished a secondary process goes through and updates certain fields to change the old URL siteurl from the source to the site URL of the destination. Once the data changes are finished the live table is replaced with the temporary one. This help prevent trashing the site should something during the restore process fail.

You've stressed quite clearly that this support is "beta" so when do you expect it will be "officially" recognized as rock-solid?

I think it is pretty solid now. But then again I did find a hole in the logic a few weeks ago. Which should be patched in an upcoming release.

Not sure really. How long was gmail in beta? So far I've tracked almost 2 dozen members who have used the migration part of snapshot and has positive results. No really big issues other than memory issue or something unrelated to snapshot.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.