Can Someone Advise if This is Possible?

Post #228996

This is exactly the issue we have and how we want to set it up...

1. People sign up to Buddypress.
2. They are then (once signed up) able to select a Membership to sign up for.

There seem to be a lot of people wanting the plug-ins to play together - and in a way that makes sense.

At present, Membership is taking over and sign up happens for Membership but NO ONE is turning up on BuddyPress.

As Post # 228996 says:
"So: is there a way to use Buddypress to handle new user signups, and then use Membership as a "upgrade" path later on?"

Post #77277 (2 years ago - why isn't this in the manual?)

"If you are running membership, you really need to switch off wordpress and buddypress registration, create a membership registration page and use that for sign ups. "

How do you do that? Is it explained anywhere?

If you "turn off buddypress registration' - does that mean that they can still join the buddypress community?

Someone told me that I have to ADD BuddyPress as an Access Level to the Subscription for it to work.

What is it????? Please explain clearly as the information available on related posts is contradictory and confusing and incomplete.

Thanks.

• PC

Hello there Karen,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Membership and BuddyPress play well with each other where Membership can use the BuddyPress Xprofile signup fields in the plugin registration form (The regular one and not the pop up registration)

"If you are running membership, you really need to switch off wordpress and buddypress registration, create a membership registration page and use that for sign ups. "

How do you do that? Is it explained anywhere?

Thanks for pointing that out. I have sent a note to our writing team lead @Patrick Cohen so that we can get this added to the documentation.

While it does state this in the Manual as below :

Disable your BuddyPress forms and let your users signup through the Membership forms
    instead

But we can certainly make it clearer and easy to understand.

If you "turn off buddypress registration' - does that mean that they can still join the buddypress community?

Yes, they can join the BuddyPress community unless you restrict certain membership levels from doing that.

I will suggest you to kindly ask if any of the old posts are confusing you about how things work with this plugin. Things have changed a lot since last 2 years on how the plugin works and integrates stuff.

We are always around to help answer any questions you may have.

Cheers, PC

• Patrick

Hi there @Karen & @PC

If you are running membership, you really need to switch off wordpress and buddypress registration, create a membership registration page and use that for sign ups.

If that's from a 2-year-old thread, please disregard it. :slight_smile: As @PC has mentioned, Membership has seen a lot of changes in 2 years.

Switching off WordPress registration is no longer necessary (I don't recall since which version though).

However, if you are using BuddyPress, it is best to ensure that the BP Register page option is set to "None" so the pages don't conflict. I've just added that info to the usage page... you are quite right: that should be there. :slight_smile:

• Karen

Thanks PC and Patrick - much appreciated. Thanks for your patience.

(Frustration levels recede when answers come - it is about a lot of information not being in the documentation, so if someone can add to it - as and when issues come up - that will work. Retiring old posts will also help. If they are no longer valid, why allow them to appear. As noted, newbies don't know they should disregard them if they are old. If not relevant, why not delete them?)

I have now turned off the BP Register page (to None) as per above.

My next bunch of (related) questions are:

My testers signed up and ended up in Membership but not BuddyPress. I want them to test Buddypress (which is why I chose this theme.) I understand I need to add BP access to a Membership plan.

This is what I am going to do - please advise if it is the correct way to go or not:

1. I am going to create a FREE membership plan - which will allow access to BP (to most of the BP groups but not all)

FYI There may be an advantage to this (if my understanding is correct) in that they go through the same process to sign up for free membership as they do for paid membership - so they are "trained" if they want to upgrade to a paid membership - is that correct?

PAYPAL Query: Does that mean that FREE members go to a Paypal screen at all or do they just end up at a welcome page? (I need to know the process - This would also be good to put in the manual as this isn't clear.)

***Suggestion: Why don't you include some info flow charts in the manual so people can see what happens to someone signing up - by doing this the manual writers should also see what steps to explain and won't miss anything if it is done systematically - Just saying.)

2. The Stranger setting will still allow people to check the site?

(Questions: Will strangers be able to see any of the BP pages? If they can't see it, how will they know that the site has that feature should they decide to join? Will they only be able to tell from (a) any text I put up that lets them know and (b) from the membership information???

3. I will create other PAID membership plans - with access to different pages.

4. If I do that, do they then have to AGAIN add all their info to the BuddyPress profile (is any of the Membership info put into the BP fields?). As I am using testers (who are my candidates) I need to be able to explain (CLEARLY) to them what I am asking them to do as they have ALREADY signed up for Membership. I need to tell them they will have to fill out all their details again (which will annoy some people) if that is the case.

Thank you.

I will be working on the site in the hope that it will be functional and able to go live at some stage in the next week.

Thanks for your continuing help. (At least these questions will help the manual writers understand what people need to know.)

• Karen

PC

Also I just found post #469461 which says:

jamesdonegan

Hey guys.

Got my new user registration issues fixed by by-passing the BuddyPress sign up and using the Membership plugin's subscription form.

Here's the problem, now, though. I'd like for people who sign up for a free membership to go straight to my BuddyPress activity page.

Any thoughts?

This is 5 months old and no response....is there an answer as it is just what I want to have happen after the FREE members sign up.

Thanks.

• Karen

Hi

I also just found post #331695 (one year old - is that still applicable as it might answer a query above about whether the Membership registration fields are autocompleted in the BuddyPress plugin - which it seems to state.

"Kimberly

hey there!

Buddypress will use the Membership registration when it's activated. This means when you activate Buddypress you can use all the registration features (like custom profile fields) and it will be used when users go to signup to a subscription. This means your users are now in the Membership plugin and Buddypress. :slight_smile:"

Thanks if you can confirm about the registration details for Membership and if they show up in BP or if members have to re-enter them.

• Karen

Guess what?

I removed the BP Register page and and changed it to None - as instructed above.

Just as I went to go to another part of the dashboard I notice this message:

"The following active BuddyPress Components do not have associated WordPress Pages: Register. Repair"

Why is it telling me to Repair it when I'm not supposed to have it on with Membership (another thing for the manual - or have the message NOT appear if someone is using BP AND Membership...

(PS This is why we newbies find things confusing...the system tells you to do one thing, yet a person advises you to do something different. FYI).

• PC

Hello there Karen,

Thanks for posting back.

If not relevant, why not delete them?

There are a lot of old threads which contains the discussions from our community members and we have to keep records of them and hence can not delete them.

My testers signed up and ended up in Membership but not BuddyPress. I want them to test Buddypress (which is why I chose this theme.) I understand I need to add BP access to a Membership plan.

If you have not allowed your users to access buddypress, then they would not be able to access it. Did you do this in your access level ?

FYI There may be an advantage to this (if my understanding is correct) in that they go through the same process to sign up for free membership as they do for paid membership - so they are "trained" if they want to upgrade to a paid membership - is that correct?

Indeed that is correct. Its the same process. The only difference is that they do not fill the registration form again, simply click on upgrade and pay for the next level.

PAYPAL Query: Does that mean that FREE members go to a Paypal screen at all or do they just end up at a welcome page? (I need to know the process - This would also be good to put in the manual as this isn't clear.)

You'd know it once you test it using a demo account. The do not go to PayPal screen at all. Just end up on a welcome page.

***Suggestion: Why don't you include some info flow charts in the manual so people can see what happens to someone signing up - by doing this the manual writers should also see what steps to explain and won't miss anything if it is done systematically - Just saying.)

Good one for @Patrick Cohen :slight_smile:

2. The Stranger setting will still allow people to check the site?

If you want to block the site access totally, you can assign no access level to the strangers or can decide what they can see.

(Questions: Will strangers be able to see any of the BP pages? If they can't see it, how will they know that the site has that feature should they decide to join? Will they only be able to tell from (a) any text I put up that lets them know and (b) from the membership information???

Again, that depends on the access level settings for the strangers. So you should allow access to anything that you need to show them to attract them to signup.

4. If I do that, do they then have to AGAIN add all their info to the BuddyPress profile (is any of the Membership info put into the BP fields?).

No, if you use BuddyPress Extended profiles then Membership will ask them to fill those fields during signup process and that would be taken to their BP profile as well.

Cheers, PC

• Karen

1. RE: "If you have not allowed your users to access buddypress, then they would not be able to access it. Did you do this in your access level ?"

No I didn't have BP as an Access Level as I have only recently found out that I had to do it that way. I will now enter it as an Access Level.

2. RE: "If you want to block the site access totally, you can assign no access level to the strangers or can decide what they can see."

I want Strangers/Visitors to see as much as they can - just not the paid stuff...so I'll need to block (negative rules) access to areas that are not open or are paid areas.

Next area/s of confusion:

3. "BuddyPress Extended profiles" - what are these? (I just did a search on the WPMU Dev site and it doesn't come up.) Is it part of the normal BP plugin or do I have to do something additional?

A post I saw mentioned that they were able to set up fields for Membership registration on the left hand column and BP on the right - is that old info? Or can you set it up so they do registration ONCE?

4. Conflicting WPMU Dev advice.
    OK So I just got the following (differing) advice from Jack (Post #586871) - which is the opposite to Patrick's above (Post #585589)

Jack says: "The BuddyPress registration shouldn't be disabled, as that handles the sign up, so a member can still use BuddyPress registration, visit the subscription page and add a subscription if that makes sense?"

- A tad confusing don't you think for a user?

Please see my questions on Post #585286 - I still need them answered/clarified and can't it be done without downloading the beta 7 version Jack suggests (as the posts below it are full of complaints about more issues the beta version caused). I don't want to load up another version with more problems. I am trying to get my head around the current issues and fix them and understand how the damn plugin works. Thank you.

• Patrick

Hi @Karen

Just quickly dropping in here to clear up one issue that seems to be causing a lot of grief. :slight_smile:

Neither BuddyPress nor Membership have their own registration process. The process is handled by WordPress, regardless of the plugins you may have installed on your site.

But both the BuddyPress and Membership plugins have their own registration forms. If only Membership is active, then that is the registration form that will be used. If only BuddyPress is active, that form will be used.

If both are active, Membership will use the BuddyPress form. However, if both BuddyPress and Membership registration are set to the same page, a conflict arises. Therefore, to allow Membership to recognize and use the BuddyPress form, those pages must be different.

• Karen

Bless you Patrick!

Very clear! Yeah - that is what we users need!!!!!

Thanks

PS Can that please go into the Membership manual (maybe a BuddyPress section on how to get them to play together) - it is nice and clear information that others will appreciate I am sure.

PS After turning BuddyPress registration page to None it was taking me to Membership register page regardless of whether you hit "Join Up" or any of the Register pages, so that will now be fixed. Great!

Yippee!

• Karen

Folks

Sorry but there is more....

I am still getting conflicting (and confusing) instructions from different people.

Can someone please check out what Jack is telling me as it is contradicting what others (ie you) have told me. Who do I believe?????

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/major-conflict-between-membership-and-buddypress#post-586934

Comments such as:

"We don't have a system for me to check what post #585589 is, could I have a direct link please?" (Really? - I was told to use the ID to refer to posts and how to locate it.)

WHICH PLUG IN IS IN CHARGE ULTIMATELY?
    (Jack) "But the answer is no, you do not disable BuddyPress registration, BuddyPress takes over Memberships registration and not vice versa. A user can then add a subscription on the subscriptions page." (This reads as if BP is in charge.)

(vs Patrick)
    "If both are active, Membership will use the BuddyPress form." (This reads as if Membership is in charge.)

"Therefore, to allow Membership to recognize and use the BuddyPress form, those pages must be different. "
    (vs Jack)
    ""It's important the membership registration page doesn't have the /register slug in membership > options > membership pages."
    (vs Patrick's advice to set BP register page to None)

BP as an ACCESS LEVEL
    (Jack) "BuddyPress isn't an access level and doesn't need to be, rather BuddyPress handles registration, a user can then after having registered choose a subscription. "

(vs PC above) "If you have not allowed your users to access buddypress, then they would not be able to access it. Did you do this in your access level ?"

Still wondering why people are confused?

PLEASE can someone get the DEFINITIVE ANSWERS and clarify ALL my questions..or should I just go elsewhere?

I am now officially FRANTIC!

• Karen

Patrick

Since your advice above, I have rearranged my pages so I have:

PAO Community (A main tab)
    -Sign up to our PAO Community! (sub-tab level 1) (This is BP register page and in theory should only appear once FREE membership is taken out as it is now an Access level within the FREE membership -pls advise if that is wrong. It is still appearing to me when I am logged out and goes to a Create an Account Page.)
    -- Members (sub-tab level 2) (goes to Protected Content if not signed in)
    --Activity (sub-tab level 2) (goes to Protected Content)
    --Groups (sub-tab level 2) (goes to Protected Content)

Note:
    (a) When I am logged out I get the Create an Account page when I click on Sign up to our PAO Community! .
    (b) When logged in to the site, it just goes to the About Us page. (should it do that?)

- Subscriptions (sub-tab level 1) (This is a Membership tab and is the Membership register page which has only a list of subscriptions to choose from / to sign up to - is that right as I have [subscriptionform] on that page as it instructs.)

(FYI I just discovered another area of confusion -
    1. When you come to the site, you expect to (a) register (ie Create an Account) first, then (b) take out a subscription (if you want to) (Membership) AND/OR (c) join the community (BP/PAO).

2. According to the new setup:

2.1 Sign up to our PAO Community! tab takes you to Create an Account page (good).

2.2 Join Here button takes you to career-centre/register-with-us (which is a general info page for candidates to register with us NOT a membership OR buddypress page). This used to go to Create an Account page. (not good)

2.3 The Register tab (located at the top with the Log In tab) - takes you to the Subscriptions page (not good) (This doesn't make sense as you have to click on Sign Up button which THEN takes you to a Create an Account page.This is not logical. People will not think to click on taking out a Membership (ie clicking Sign up) as a way to Create an Account. They will think it will take them to a payment option.

Just a thought: If BP is an Access Level (ie you have to have FREE membership BEFORE you get access to BP) then the Membership plugin can NEVER use the BP registration form - as you have to use the membership registration to gain access to BP and hence the BP form.

Grrr - now I get vastly different advice from Jack (see link below)
    ...oh shit this is complicated. SURELY it should be easy to use and understand as per your marketing.

See Jack's contradictory comments at; https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/major-conflict-between-membership-and-buddypress#post-586934

What (logic) am I missing?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Karen,

Hope you’re well today, we’ll continue in this thread, rather than having the same conversation across multiple threads :slight_smile:

"We don't have a system for me to check what post #585589 is, could I have a direct link please?" (Really? - I was told to use the ID to refer to posts and how to locate it.)

We don’t, not for a ID, rather if you click on the posted 1 day ago for example, you can copy the link like, https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/can-someone-advise-if-this-is-possible#post-588650 for example.

WHICH PLUG IN IS IN CHARGE ULTIMATELY??(Jack) "But the answer is no, you do not disable BuddyPress registration, BuddyPress takes over Memberships registration and not vice versa. A user can then add a subscription on the subscriptions page." (This reads as if BP is in charge.)
    (vs Patrick)?"If both are active, Membership will use the BuddyPress form." (This reads as if Membership is in charge.)

The definitive answer is both. The Membership registration form will pick up the BuddyPress registration form fields.
    So the best option here would actually be to go with the membership form to make it less confusing to the end user.

BP as an ACCESS LEVEL?(Jack) "BuddyPress isn't an access level and doesn't need to be, rather BuddyPress handles registration, a user can then after having registered choose a subscription. "
    (vs PC above) "If you have not allowed your users to access buddypress, then they would not be able to access it. Did you do this in your access level ?”

I’ve just discussed this with PC, sorry for the confusion, PC meant that if you have restricted access to BuddyPress via a negative level rule set for example, that you’ll need to allow access to that.

Thanks.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

OK - so ULTIMATELY - how do I set it up to get what I want?

I have NEVER used negative rules (too confusing) so that was never an issue. (Please don't assume things people, it is hard enough following "advice" as it is.)

The definitive answer is both. The Membership registration form will pick up the BuddyPress registration form fields.
    So the best option here would actually be to go with the membership form to make it less confusing to the end user.

So HOW do I do that????
    What does the Membership registration form vs BuddyPress form look like?
    Is the Create an Account Page that comes up - a BP or Membership page??

Ideally - in my humble view - you would have ONE sign up form and it signs them up to both Membership AND BuddyPress (is that what happens when Membership takes its fields from BP as noted above???).

Important question: Can you register first AND THEN pick a subscription (which is what I think appears to be happening on my site IF you click on "Sign Up for our PAO Community" and complete the Create an Account form.)

Other than that, you have to go to Subscriptions page, pick a membership, click on it AND THEN REGISTER on the Create an Account page. (not logical).

Basically I want people to sign up ONCE and then have access to BuddyPress (but not have BuddyPress Activity/Groups/Members shown to the world).
    --currently I have Sign Up to our PAO Community (this seems to be the BP page and takes you to a Create an Account page - is that BP or Membership???) and Subscriptions (which seems to be the Membership page). (PS I think it is wrong to call Subscriptions a "Register page" when all it has are subscriptions which you have to click on to get to the register page - not logical to anyone as you expect to Sign up, then take out a Subscription (but that's just me)).

- Currently BP is an Access Level within FREE Membership and my first person (since I put BP under FREE membership) actually signed up and got into BP yesterday when doing their testing. They show up in Membership as a Member/User. Previously they all ended up under Membership and WERE NOT showing up in BuddyPress as Members - she is the only one there. - SO having BP as an Access level actually WORKS to have BP as a hidden (accessible via FREE Membership).

New Question
    Now that I have BP as an Access Level for FREE membership - and it seems to work...all my testers who signed up before then are in the Users Dashboard list Subscribers. (Under the Membership / All Members list, they are not assigned to any Subscription or Membership level.).

To get my other testers accessing the BP part of the site do I:
    (a) delete all my testers' User Profiles (and if that is the case can they use the same emails to re-register or are they then "locked" like some sites?
    (b) amend their records to give them FREE Membership and hence BP access.
    (c) something else???

Why is the person who signed up yesterday (and was in BP and responded to my Friend Request) not listed as a FREE membership.
    - It appears that if you Create an Account from "Sign up for our PAO..." then you access BP, but do you then see the Members/Activity/Groups tabs as they are in the positive rule for FREE Membership only (in which case how did she see the Friend Request?)

Test SIgnUp today
    I am having a staff member test the two sign-on channels later today (one via :"Sign up to ..." page and the other via "Subscriptions" page) to see what happends. (I had to remove her work User record so I am hoping that email is not blocked from being used again by the plugin. If so, that will be a flaw.)

Unanswered Questions from Above (I still need answers - Please don't ignore them.)

2.2 Join Here button takes you to career-centre/register-with-us (which is a general info page for candidates to register with us NOT a membership OR buddypress page). This used to go to Create an Account page. (not good)

As noted above - this button is not working.
    How do I get it to go to the Register page?

Note:
    (a) When I am logged out I get the Create an Account page when I click on Sign up to our PAO Community! .
    (b) When logged in to the site, it just goes to the About Us page. (should it do that?)

Should this happen? - ie once you have an Account should this page take you to the About Us page - which seems wrong to me.

Next Steps
    Happy to give you access to the site if you need. In fact I'll do it so you can check it out. (Just record any changes you make please as I need to understand what you do to fix/change things.)

• Karen

Jack

"So the best option here would actually be to go with the membership form to make it less confusing to the end user."

Apart from this conflicting with what was said on https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/major-conflict-between-membership-and-buddypress#post-588687 (Post #586934)
    (ie" BuddyPress isn't an access level and doesn't need to be, rather BuddyPress handles registration, a user can then after having registered choose a subscription." )

What is not making sense, is that it isn't a "membership" form at all. It is a "subscription" form. Vast difference.

You can be a member of a site WITHOUT subscribing to anything. Yet with the Membership plugin - you go STRAIGHT to subscribing for something. As a member, you then make a selection from a VARIETY of subscriptions. Ie One member, can have many subscriptions.

There should be ONE sign up form (which registers you to BuddyPress AND Membership) AND THEN you subscribe to the service/s you want.

Perhaps the IT people could check that the process.

It is like registering and subscribing are sandwiched together (same step) and BP is out there on the side somewhere, having to squeeze in between them.

• Karen

Jack

I asked my testers to test again.

I have removed FREE Membership. After deactivating it I found it didn't make any difference so asked them all to try it.

See attached about the Activation issue.

I have never (EVER) got an Activation page, so I can't assist.

Can you please advise on this first as they are all going to have the SAME issue and I want to fix it FAST if I can. I don't wish to burn through the goodwill I have with these people..

Thanks.

• Karen

What is the issue with loading??????

Here is the text from a tester:

Hi Karen

I know you are flat out however when I go to activate my account I get the below message which doesn’t actually let me click on anything. I have done it a few times now and I also tried to log in thinking maybe it would be activated, however it is saying I have not activated my account. Can you help?

I can't help - I have NEVER had to activate an account.

• Karen

jack

Here is the link I found from the address in her screenshot:

http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/pao-community/members/activate

She is right - nothing there. Not sure which plug-in generates it.

Ahhhhh...as both programs have Activate pages (noted in a previous thread) -could BP and Membership be fighting over that page AS WELL as the Register one that is so well known???

The fix???

• Karen

Jack

I found two Activate pages in the system (both called wordpress/activate....actually there was another draft one as well which I removed)) and renamed the Subscription one to /activate-1

Sign Up for our PAO Community (BP) ---> Activate your Membership (/activate page) - nothing on this page to allow someone to activate their membership.

Subscriptions (Membership) --> Activate /(activate-1 page) - this page is NOT showing to new registers.

How do I fix so they see an actual activate page with a link (or whatever should be on it).

Thanks - if you can fix this first.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Karen,

Hope you're well today.

So HOW do I do that????
    What does the Membership registration form vs BuddyPress form look like?
    Is the Create an Account Page that comes up - a BP or Membership page??

Ideally - in my humble view - you would have ONE sign up form and it signs them up to both Membership AND BuddyPress (is that what happens when Membership takes its fields from BP as noted above???).

The Membership form looks the same as the BuddyPress form, the difference is the process.

If you use the membership form, they'd select a subscription, then create a account.

If you use the BuddyPress form, they create a account and then you'd need a redirect to direct them to select a subscription.

Important question: Can you register first AND THEN pick a subscription (which is what I think appears to be happening on my site IF you click on "Sign Up for our PAO Community" and complete the Create an Account form.)

As above, only if you use BuddyPress. Membership requires the selection of a subscription first.

Basically I want people to sign up ONCE and then have access to BuddyPress (but not have BuddyPress Activity/Groups/Members shown to the world).
    --currently I have Sign Up to our PAO Community (this seems to be the BP page and takes you to a Create an Account page - is that BP or Membership???) and Subscriptions (which seems to be the Membership page). (PS I think it is wrong to call Subscriptions a "Register page" when all it has are subscriptions which you have to click on to get to the register page - not logical to anyone as you expect to Sign up, then take out a Subscription (but that's just me)).

The link to PAO community signup, is a BuddyPress page.

The subscriptions page is a membership page, that's a register page, as they select the subscription and then complete the account registration.

If you need to restrict BuddyPress, you need to drag the BuddyPress rule across in your access level and check the box next to the relevant parts you want protected.

- Currently BP is an Access Level within FREE Membership and my first person (since I put BP under FREE membership) actually signed up and got into BP yesterday when doing their testing. They show up in Membership as a Member/User. Previously they all ended up under Membership and WERE NOT showing up in BuddyPress as Members - she is the only one there. - SO having BP as an Access level actually WORKS to have BP as a hidden (accessible via FREE Membership).

One issue why they may not be showing up in BuddyPress is, they must have clicked the activation link sent to their email, if they don't click that link, they wouldn't show in BuddyPress.

To get my other testers accessing the BP part of the site do I:
    (a) delete all my testers' User Profiles (and if that is the case can they use the same emails to re-register or are they then "locked" like some sites?
    (b) amend their records to give them FREE Membership and hence BP access.
    (c) something else???

First check with them if they received email and used the activation link, if they did but got a white page, get them to click the link again, it should activate their account.

Then if this doesn't work, amend their account and give them Free membership for BuddyPress access and then the activation would work, if it didn't work above.

Why is the person who signed up yesterday (and was in BP and responded to my Friend Request) not listed as a FREE membership.
    - It appears that if you Create an Account from "Sign up for our PAO..." then you access BP, but do you then see the Members/Activity/Groups tabs as they are in the positive rule for FREE Membership only (in which case how did she see the Friend Request?)

If they created the account from the PAO community link, that isn't a membership link, so they wouldn't have received free membership, if they didn't and did use the membership registration, please confirm and I can take a closer look at that.

Unanswered Questions from Above (I still need answers - Please don't ignore them.)

They weren't ignored, I've answered them in your other post from the other day, but I'll answer again here, and can we keep all the membership questions now on this thread, to save confusion between multiple threads.

Can you please confirm how that page is created, with a form plugin, something else? Please advise.

Should this happen? - ie once you have an Account should this page take you to the About Us page - which seems wrong to me.

That is technically correct, but we can change that if you'd like, let me know which page and I'll change it :slight_smile:

What is not making sense, is that it isn't a "membership" form at all. It is a "subscription" form. Vast difference.

You can be a member of a site WITHOUT subscribing to anything. Yet with the Membership plugin - you go STRAIGHT to subscribing for something. As a member, you then make a selection from a VARIETY of subscriptions. Ie One member, can have many subscriptions.

There should be ONE sign up form (which registers you to BuddyPress AND Membership) AND THEN you subscribe to the service/s you want.

In settings > buddypress, set your register page to none and then use the membership sign up process, this will give them access to BuddyPress and Membership.

I have never (EVER) got an Activation page, so I can't assist.

The activation link comes from BuddyPress, what happens when they click that link, do they perhaps have any screenshots of what's happening?

http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/pao-community/members/activate

She is right - nothing there. Not sure which plug-in generates it.

Ahhhhh...as both programs have Activate pages (noted in a previous thread) -could BP and Membership be fighting over that page AS WELL as the Register one that is so well known???

Is that link she received in the email on sign up?, As if so that certainly isn't correct, it should be domain.com/activate-key=?xxxxxxx Please advise.

That's correct, BuddyPress activation page can't be removed, I just wanted to check first, before I went ahead, but could I make a few test accounts etc? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

Thank you.

Just working my way through the answers.

One thing - I have mentioned that both Membership and BuddyPress have activate pages (one is under the Subscriptions tab and one is under the "Sign up to our PAO..." in Menu and Pages, but after Patrick has mentioned there is no Activate page in Membership I went back and checked and he is right re Membership Pages but I have two Activate pages and I DIDN'T create them.

I am wondering if that is the BP issues as none of the activation links are working for anyone. They all get blank pages.

I will remove one of the activate pages (If I can) and test to see what happens and will go thru the above as well.

Many thanks for your attention to this. I am sure it is solvable...hopefully quickly!

Back soon....

• Karen

Patrick

As noted above I looked in Membership Pages and there is no Activate. It was appearing under Subscriptions page - and I didn't create it so I assumed that Membership had (as a hidden page).

The Membership plugin does not have any page for account activation.

The confirmation email is sent by BuddyPress. Clicking the confirmation link in that email sends the user to the BuddyPress Activate page. So that page must be set.

That is interesting that only BP has an activation page. Then maybe if I delete one of them that will allow any BP registrations to work - subject to Jack's other comments.

Will test that now.

• Karen

Patrick

I have now :
    1. removed the duplicate /activate page
    2. renamed /activate-1 back to /activate.
    3. Made sure the BuddyPress page was pointed to the /activate page
    4. Signed up as a new user to "Sign up for our PAO Community and received the following email:

Thanks for registering! To complete the activation of your account please click the following link:

http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/pao-community/members/activate/?key=2c321fca016a7cd811b2e682d41defd3

This link goes to a page that says Activate Your Membership (which is text I added to the page) BUT WHICH IS STILL BLANK (ie you cannot click anywhere to activate your account).

1. In Admin, my new login turns up as a User (and my "Role" is listed as Subscriber)
    2. In Admin, under Membership/All Members, my new login is listed as "active" in green but no membership or access levels (which is correct as I am not subscribed to anything going via the BP account sign up)

Query/A thought: Is there a missing shortcode that should be appearing on the BP /activate page????

(...like with the Membership Register page when you have to add [subscriptionform] if you add text to that page?????

Thanks.

• Karen

Jack

Back to you..

If you use the BuddyPress form, they create a account and then you'd need a redirect to direct them to select a subscription.

Can they use BuddyPress without taking out a Subscription (if I don't make it an access level? If I want certain groups to be locked/accessible, I should be able to add them to an access level that is not public and which I control via admin panel?

The link to PAO community signup, is a BuddyPress page.

The subscriptions page is a membership page, that's a register page, as they select the subscription and then complete the account registration.

If you need to restrict BuddyPress, you need to drag the BuddyPress rule across in your access level and check the box next to the relevant parts you want protected.

so, just confirming, I CAN use them both? - on different pages and it will WORK? They will create an account regardless and then they can take out a subscription at their leisure? (As noted above in previous post - at present, the BP activate page is not showing anything - so it is NOT working.)

One issue why they may not be showing up in BuddyPress is, they must have clicked the activation link sent to their email, if they don't click that link, they wouldn't show in BuddyPress.

As noted in 2 above (they were trying it when I had two activate pages - /activate and /activate-1 - but this has been removed and now there is only one activate page ie /activate and BP is pointing to it.

I have logged in - under the cleaned up setup and the activation link (see previous post) does NOT work.

Any suggestions to FIX? I have one about whether a BP shortcode is needed. You may have other ideas.

First check with them if they received email and used the activation link, if they did but got a white page, get them to click the link again, it should activate their account.

They did - and it didn't work for anyone. They all tried a couple of times and none of the links will activate their account.

Then if this doesn't work, amend their account and give them Free membership for BuddyPress access and then the activation would work, if it didn't work above

I am trying to avoid having to give access manually as I want it to happen automatically, however, I will test this out and advise. To do this I am resurrecting FREE Membership and adding it to my new login....

[time passes...]

I just tried it and my new login still can't log on to the site as it just keeps saying "Your account has not been activated. Check your email for the activation link."

If they created the account from the PAO community link, that isn't a membership link, so they wouldn't have received free membership, if they didn't and did use the membership registration, please confirm and I can take a closer look at that.

She definitely used the PAO Community link - and got in to the BP area (they can't remember how but said the activation worked.). She did NOT use the subscription

At that time - according to all the notes on the WPMU threads - I was using FREE Membership and BP was an Access level within that - yet the result is that she is 5.1 in as a Membership /Member as "active" but has NO membership or Access levels assigned.
    5.2 She IS in the BP area and I was able to send her a friend request which she accepted. I also invited her to join a group but not sure if she saw it or not.

Can you please confirm how that page is created, with a form plugin, something else? Please advise.

The Join Here Button is a theme button - I have NOT created it, nor touched it. I have NO IDEA where it comes from. I assume it is part of the theme. (by the by someone else is having an issue with the Join Now button on another thread so there is an issue.with it.

It appears ABOVE the right hand column of widgets - to the right of "Welcome to the hub for public affairs officers!" text (on the other side of the page to that text - when you are logged out of the site.)

I just noticed (testing on my iPad, logged out) that when you first click on it, it is taking you to http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/register which quickly changes to http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/career-centre/register-wtih-us/ which is odd.

That is technically correct, but we can change that if you'd like, let me know which page and I'll change it :slight_smile:

I would like it to go to a (new) page (You're Already Signed Up!) that says

"Thanks. The good news is that you are already signed up.

If you would like to start talking to others in the Public Affairs Community, just click on the Members, Activity or Groups pages, or explore the "Howdy, [your name] button at the top right." Enjoy!

If you would like to take out a membership, please visit our Subscriptions page.

There are many different subscriptions to choose one, so there's sure to be one to meet your needs. If not, please let us know the service/s you are looking for."

Welcome to our public affairs community."

In settings > buddypress, set your register page to none and then use the membership sign up process, this will give them access to BuddyPress and Membership.

Sigh - this seems out of kilter with the other advice and my experience. (If you set the page to None (a) It screams "Error: Repair" at you (b) I then lose my "Sign Up to our PAO Community" - the link everyone NATURALLY uses to sign up (ie it is clear and logical, the way people like websites to be (which Subscriptions ISN'T).

The activation link comes from BuddyPress, what happens when they click that link, do they perhaps have any screenshots of what's happening?

I have never got an activation link (but that may be because I am an Admin level. THEY get them, but I do not. (just saying I had not seen it until someone sent it to me so I wasn't aware. The screenshots are covered by the copy of the emails above and a blank page just looks like a blank page with a title - actually in your next comment you mention this - THIS is EXACTLY what they SEE (it is the same with a bunch of numbers and symbols (my example below that of what my latest login account received):

http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/pao-community/members/activate/?key=2c321fca016a7cd811b2e682d41defd3

10. Jack - Test away - Have a heap of fun....I just want to get it sorted asap as I have to work all the hours god sends to get it operational as I have not been able to get basic registration and membership happening.

Happy to answer any other questions quickly for you so nothing is held up.

Hope that is comprehensive.

regards,
    Karen

• Karen

Jack

I was logged in to the site as Administrator and went to Renew Subscriptions.

I have access to BuddyPress - all pages (not sure if that is just because I am an Administrator or just because I am signed in)

1. It told me I did not have a Subscription - and there was the list of subscriptions below to select from. (all good).
    2. So I clicked on Free Membership and signed up. (all good)
    3. I gave me the Welcome message (http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/welcome/ ) (all good)

All this should mean you can sign up to BuddyPress and not yet have a subscription which is what I want to happen.

The other thing I notice is that there is no http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/register page.

(a) BP is using Sign Up to our PAO Community
    Odd - I go into BP in Admin and it tells me the Register page is set to "Sign Up to our PAO Community" but when I click on View - it takes me to About Us (like when you are logged in and that page takes you to About Us...so how can you ever view the actual page? )
    (b) Membership is using /wordpress/pao-community/subscriptions/
    (c) Join Here goes to the register page but in the blink of an eye it redirects to /wordpress/career-centre/register-with-us which I have NOT redirected (I don't know how to do that for a start.)
    (d) the Register button (next to the Log In button at top of the page - is going to the Subscriptions page. /wordpress/pao-community/subscriptions

"Surely we are not far off beating this beast???," she said hopefully.

FYI.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen,

Hope you're well today.

I find this interesting,

This link goes to a page that says Activate Your Membership (which is text I added to the page) BUT WHICH IS STILL BLANK (ie you cannot click anywhere to activate your account).

Interesting, that page should have nothing on it (no text added, can you delete that text please or re-create a fresh page and set it in the buddypress settings).

There shouldn't be anywhere to click, as the key is in the link, so that should activate on click of that link :slight_smile:

Can they use BuddyPress without taking out a Subscription (if I don't make it an access level? If I want certain groups to be locked/accessible, I should be able to add them to an access level that is not public and which I control via admin panel?

They can indeed, as long as and this is very important, that you don't add any of the BuddyPress rules to any membership level.

so, just confirming, I CAN use them both? - on different pages and it will WORK? They will create an account regardless and then they can take out a subscription at their leisure? (As noted above in previous post - at present, the BP activate page is not showing anything - so it is NOT working.)

You can use them both and it won't cause any problems, the main thing to make sure is, that your users know which is which and it's clearly labeled within your site.

As noted in 2 above (they were trying it when I had two activate pages - /activate and /activate-1 - but this has been removed and now there is only one activate page ie /activate and BP is pointing to it.

I have logged in - under the cleaned up setup and the activation link (see previous post) does NOT work.

Any suggestions to FIX? I have one about whether a BP shortcode is needed. You may have other ideas.

Suggested fix as the start of this reply :slight_smile:

I am trying to avoid having to give access manually as I want it to happen automatically, however, I will test this out and advise. To do this I am resurrecting FREE Membership and adding it to my new login....

[time passes...]

I just tried it and my new login still can't log on to the site as it just keeps saying "Your account has not been activated. Check your email for the activation link."

Related to the activate page issue at the start of my reply :slight_smile:

She definitely used the PAO Community link - and got in to the BP area (they can't remember how but said the activation worked.). She did NOT use the subscription

At that time - according to all the notes on the WPMU threads - I was using FREE Membership and BP was an Access level within that - yet the result is that she is 5.1 in as a Membership /Member as "active" but has NO membership or Access levels assigned.
    5.2 She IS in the BP area and I was able to send her a friend request which she accepted. I also invited her to join a group but not sure if she saw it or not.

At this time, did you have both registration forms activated? If so, that would make sense, as she'd be signing up using the BP form, getting the activation email and assigned a BP role.

The Join Here Button is a theme button - I have NOT created it, nor touched it. I have NO IDEA where it comes from. I assume it is part of the theme. (by the by someone else is having an issue with the Join Now button on another thread so there is an issue.with it.

It appears ABOVE the right hand column of widgets - to the right of "Welcome to the hub for public affairs officers!" text (on the other side of the page to that text - when you are logged out of the site.)

I just noticed (testing on my iPad, logged out) that when you first click on it, it is taking you to http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/register which quickly changes to http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/career-centre/register-wtih-us/ which is odd.

Looks like you've successfully managed to edit this button now? It points to sign-up-here/what-can-i-sign-up-for/ for me now.

If you would like to start talking to others in the Public Affairs Community, just click on the Members, Activity or Groups pages, or explore the "Howdy, [your name] button at the top right." Enjoy!

If you would like to take out a membership, please visit our Subscriptions page.

There are many different subscriptions to choose one, so there's sure to be one to meet your needs. If not, please let us know the service/s you are looking for."

Sorry I seem to have lost 7 on this thread, that's for the welcome page correct, or was that the subscriptions page you want this on? :slight_smile:

I have never got an activation link (but that may be because I am an Admin level. THEY get them, but I do not. (just saying I had not seen it until someone sent it to me so I wasn't aware. The screenshots are covered by the copy of the emails above and a blank page just looks like a blank page with a title - actually in your next comment you mention this - THIS is EXACTLY what they SEE (it is the same with a bunch of numbers and symbols (my example below that of what my latest login account received):

Thanks, I believe again that this issue is related to the activation at the top of my reply.

10. Jack - Test away - Have a heap of fun....I just want to get it sorted asap as I have to work all the hours god sends to get it operational as I have not been able to get basic registration and membership happening.

Thanks, much appreciated, I just wanted to check with you before I start changing everything, if this is possible for me to edit as needed to get it working, or is this a live site as such, that you'd like me to check with you first?

(a) BP is using Sign Up to our PAO Community
    Odd - I go into BP in Admin and it tells me the Register page is set to "Sign Up to our PAO Community" but when I click on View - it takes me to About Us (like when you are logged in and that page takes you to About Us...so how can you ever view the actual page? )

Interesting, taking you to a different page is correct when logged in, but not logged out, I'll take a look at this as well, B and C noted, and I'll check that too :slight_smile:

Thanks, hopefully we'll be able to get this resolved for you soon, one thing that does interest me about your setup is the /PAO Community part of the URL, so is this in a subdirectory BuddyPress? Or it's still part of the main site?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

I have figured out a way to make things work and will create a new post (once I have launched my own site now I can move forward with finalising the content) to explain to others how to do it.

You might want to get the developers to test BuddyPress activation email still though.

With BuddyPress (in my case a BP theme) and Membership, if you have the BP regiser page visible/useable at all, the Activation email (as noted above) does NOT work. It sends the email but the link takes you to a BLANK page.

I deactivated Membership and tested the BP process the VERY NEXT DAY with no other changes made and BP told me (onscreen) that I was successful and to click the activation link in the email. NO EMAIL WAS EVER RECEIVED (unlike the day before). I checked with my hosting company and it was not showing on the system so something is going wrong there. I expected the BP process to work with Membership out of the way - but that DIDN"T HAPPEN. This is a bug in my view.

I have basically had to hide all the BP pages (they are there because if you put NONE in the BP Pages for Register and Activate - you get an ERROR message telling you to repair them. Another bug.

I will mark as resolved but open it again if I find it has all unravelled but the signs are promising since I rejigged it all yesterday.

FYI in case someone wants to actually make BP and Membership EASY to use together, which they are NOT at present.

Thanks for your assistance.

To keep it clear I will post this and then respond to your queries above in the next post as I didn't see that you had responded until after I wrote this.

The whole process is "interesting"!

• Karen

Jack
    OK...back to your comments on all my comments above:

Interesting, that page should have nothing on it (no text added, can you delete that text please or re-create a fresh page and set it in the buddypress settings).

There shouldn't be anywhere to click, as the key is in the link, so that should activate on click of that link :slight_smile:

I didn't realise that the key is in the link...it takes you to a page called "Activate" not "Activated"..that implies you have to click on something on the page ...perhaps that text should be changed within BP theme/plugin (hint!).

In that case something is wrong with the link in the email as it was NOT activating for my people. They were effectively locked out of the site and could not sign is AFTER their details were entered as there was NO WAY to activate their account....

...which leads to ANOTHER issue I found...I - as Administrator - COULD NOT activate their account MANUALLY - so my hands were tied.

Result: People registered, couldn't activate their accounts, locked out and I could not help them. Not a great result at all. (= A bug).

They can indeed, as long as and this is very important, that you don't add any of the BuddyPress rules to any membership level.

and

You can use them both and it won't cause any problems, the main thing to make sure is, that your users know which is which and it's clearly labeled within your site.

OK - two things.

1. They don't work (there are activatio issues noted above).

2. Given the original advice I was told was that it was "natural to assume that as Membership takes over BP, BP should be an access level" and to just get going, I have left BuddyPress as an Access Level. The "Sign Up to our PAO Community" (was a separate page - which is no longer there - is now the name of a SUBSCRIPTION PLAN.

At this time, did you have both registration forms activated? If so, that would make sense, as she'd be signing up using the BP form, getting the activation email and assigned a BP role.

Yes both forms were there and usable. What is odd is that only she was able to use the BP form and get in - NO ONE else who tried it could. (Given the emails were being sent one day and not the next when I tested it - something seems wrong with the activation email process.) FYI.

Looks like you've successfully managed to edit this button now? It points to sign-up-here/what-can-i-sign-up-for/ for me now.

yes I noted somewhere that it was in the BP Fun Theme Options (which is not where you would think to look. Not sure how I even found it.) Fixed.

Sorry I seem to have lost 7 on this thread, that's for the welcome page correct, or was that the subscriptions page you want this on? :slight_smile:

FYI You asked me for what page I wanted and I said yes and created the text there and then and provided it. With the changed I don't think this is needed. If it is, I will be back to you.

Thanks, much appreciated, I just wanted to check with you before I start changing everything, if this is possible for me to edit as needed to get it working, or is this a live site as such, that you'd like me to check with you first?

Jack thanks for that courtesy. It is a test site, but - purely as I had to have a fix - I have rejigged the site. I am going to post what I did to get it working (you might think it is a twisted pretzel, but it seems to be working (fingers crossed). I am not sure what will happen if /when the Membership software or the theme is upgraded, but if it works (as it seems to be now with my amendments) I don't want to tempt fate.

HOW I FIXED BUDDYPRESS AND MEMBERSHIP (on my site at least)
    In essence:

(a) Only the membership signup process was working - due to BP activation issues noted above which are still happening. So I decided to hide any BP pages to remove the option of having to go via BP Create an Account.

(b) I kept the BP pages as part of my site pages but took the Register page (which was called "Sign Up to our PAO Community" and the Activate page (not working) pages and just took them out of the menu so no one can see them. (If you set them to None as Patrick suggested, you get ERROR messages to Repair BuddyPress in your Admin dashboard. (FYI).

(c) I took the FREE Membership Subscription Plan and renamed it to "Sign Up to our PAO Community" so it was clear. (so access via the BP registration page was transmuted to access via the Membership subscription Sign Up process (as it was the only thing that worked)..

(d) Everything was then moved around so it all pointed to the Membership Subscription page (now called "What Can I Sign Up For?" which makes more sense that Subscriptions.

My only remaining issue/s (at this point in time) are:

1. Renaming Buttons/Tabs to be consistent.
    There are three buttons/tabs that do the same thing - take the person to the Membership Subscriptions page.

Join Here (button) - which should take you to "What Can I Sign Up For?" ..... - I can get rid of this or rename this button
    Register (next to Log in) - takes you to "What Can I Sign Up For?" (same page) - Unfortunately I can't change the name of this tab.
    How to Sign Up - tab (now at the top)

Is there a way to rename the Register tab (top left, next to Log In) or is that hard coded in the theme. If I can't rename it, then I am basically forced to use "Register" as the name for all buttons ...which I do not want to do. I am working out what I DO want to call it, but right now I just need to (a) know if I can rename it and (b) how to do that? Thanks if you can advise so as soon as I work out the name (today) I can amend them all to read the same. Thanks.

2. Renew Subscriptions -
    Can you please look at this? The renew buttons are NOT showing.
    One is a serial subscription (monthly) and the other (Media 102) is finite (100days).
    I understand serial won't have a button IF you are already signed up to it, but I am NOT so it should show the button as an option for me.
    Thanks.

3. Taking out more than one Membership at a time.
    Can you confirm this is possible. The manual says yes. Various WPMU Dev advisers say no.
    Which is it please??? I need definitive advice.
    It would seem to me (if the analogy provided to me earlier by a WPMU adviser is correct...the access levels are the ingredients and the subscriptions are the meals/dishes. As two dishes can have the same ingredients (as well as different ones included) then someone should be able to have as many as they want. (otherwise just taking out a Free subscription would lock them out of taking any others out. This is found under "Can someone CLEARLY explain...." topic.(I will go back and read this post, but I might as well get your advice as well - hoping it coincides with that advice. Thanks.

I am planning to use the Membership/Subscriptions to provide courses as per WP Courseware http://wpcourseware.com/cb/ (which lists a number of membership plugins including yours to use to deliver courses). If that is not possible, I need to know asap (and your Membership manual needs editing to correct it..

..back to the remainder of your comments on my comments...

Interesting, taking you to a different page is correct when logged in, but not logged out, I'll take a look at this as well, B and C noted, and I'll check that too :slight_smile:

OK -that is what is happening. I just wonder if it should just give you a message to say "You are already logged in." but as this page no longer exists, it is moot. (I think this is the issue you were referring to above when you said you got lost ie this one:

Thanks, hopefully we'll be able to get this resolved for you soon, one thing that does interest me about your setup is the /PAO Community part of the URL, so is this in a subdirectory BuddyPress? Or it's still part of the main site?

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Actually if the fixes I have instigated are kosher it should help with the developers and manual writers to know what works/doesn't work.

The PAO Community is just the BP function of the site. BP is a community site. My people are Public Affairs Officers. My WPMU theme is a BP theme. I have wondered if having BP built into the theme (vs a plugin) might be part of the issue of why Membership and BP are not working together. Others might be using two plugins (which is what I originally called it until I realised my BP is part of my actual theme - I didn't have to use a plugin. FYI in case it's useful info.

*There is NO sub-directory.
    *"PAO Community" is just a tab - like any other - it just lets them know this spot is for them to air their views etc.
    *It should be no different to if it was used for a site for eg dentists ie Dentist Community. PAO is just an acronym.

That's all from me now while I get on with creating content and running a business.

Thanks for your interest and quick responses.

Let me know regarding the above (hopefully soon!).

regards,
    Karen

• Karen

Jack

Just re-reading my post above to make sure it was clear, I wanted to add to :

Can you confirm this is possible. The manual says yes. Various WPMU Dev advisers say no.
    It would seem to me (if the analogy provided to me earlier by a WPMU adviser is correct...the access levels are the ingredients and the subscriptions are the meals/dishes. As two dishes can have the same ingredients (as well as different ones included) then someone should be able to have as many as they want. (otherwise just taking out a Free subscription would lock them out of taking any others out. This is found under "Can someone CLEARLY explain...." topic.(I will go back and read this post, but I might as well get your advice as well - hoping it coincides with that advice. Thanks.

In the dishes analogy:
    Ingredients = access levels
    Meals/Dishes = subscription plans

When you sit down to dinner (= sign up) you can order many dishes (=signing up to different subsription plans)

Please advise if correct or not. Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Karen,

Hope you're well today.

I have figured out a way to make things work and will create a new post (once I have launched my own site now I can move forward with finalising the content) to explain to others how to do it.

Great news! :slight_smile:

With BuddyPress (in my case a BP theme) and Membership, if you have the BP regiser page visible/useable at all, the Activation email (as noted above) does NOT work. It sends the email but the link takes you to a BLANK page.

I deactivated Membership and tested the BP process the VERY NEXT DAY with no other changes made and BP told me (onscreen) that I was successful and to click the activation link in the email. NO EMAIL WAS EVER RECEIVED (unlike the day before). I checked with my hosting company and it was not showing on the system so something is going wrong there. I expected the BP process to work with Membership out of the way - but that DIDN"T HAPPEN. This is a bug in my view.

Interesting I'm trying to replicate this but haven't been able to yet on my own install, when you was doing this, did you have anyone can register set in wp-admin > settings?

Did you have the registration page chosen in settings > BuddyPress > pages?

I have basically had to hide all the BP pages (they are there because if you put NONE in the BP Pages for Register and Activate - you get an ERROR message telling you to repair them. Another bug.

This is standard BuddyPress procedure and can't effect BuddyPress with how it handles the pages if not set unfortunately. Though the warning can be safely ignored.

I didn't realise that the key is in the link...it takes you to a page called "Activate" not "Activated"..that implies you have to click on something on the page ...perhaps that text should be changed within BP theme/plugin (hint!).

In that case something is wrong with the link in the email as it was NOT activating for my people. They were effectively locked out of the site and could not sign is AFTER their details were entered as there was NO WAY to activate their account....

...which leads to ANOTHER issue I found...I - as Administrator - COULD NOT activate their account MANUALLY - so my hands were tied.

Result: People registered, couldn't activate their accounts, locked out and I could not help them. Not a great result at all. (= A bug).

From your messages above as you said this is all working now, is this part working, or is that still broken, to manually activate them, you can use this plugin here http://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-pending-activations/

2. Given the original advice I was told was that it was "natural to assume that as Membership takes over BP, BP should be an access level" and to just get going, I have left BuddyPress as an Access Level. The "Sign Up to our PAO Community" (was a separate page - which is no longer there - is now the name of a SUBSCRIPTION PLAN.

And

Yes both forms were there and usable. What is odd is that only she was able to use the BP form and get in - NO ONE else who tried it could. (Given the emails were being sent one day and not the next when I tested it - something seems wrong with the activation email process.) FYI.

This may have caused the activation issues with both forms being accessible, when you said in the first post before you saw my post that it was resolved, was this part included in that or is it still not working?

yes I noted somewhere that it was in the BP Fun Theme Options (which is not where you would think to look. Not sure how I even found it.) Fixed.

Great glad to hear that's fixed :slight_smile:

FYI You asked me for what page I wanted and I said yes and created the text there and then and provided it. With the changed I don't think this is needed. If it is, I will be back to you.

Sorry must have mixed that, lots of posts with lots of info, I must have overlooked it, my apologies :slight_smile:

Is there a way to rename the Register tab (top left, next to Log In) or is that hard coded in the theme. If I can't rename it, then I am basically forced to use "Register" as the name for all buttons ...which I do not want to do. I am working out what I DO want to call it, but right now I just need to (a) know if I can rename it and (b) how to do that? Thanks if you can advise so as soon as I work out the name (today) I can amend them all to read the same. Thanks.

There is indeed, as this is the BuddyPress toolbar, you can use this guide here http://codex.buddypress.org/themes/modifying-the-buddypress-admin-bar/

I am planning to use the Membership/Subscriptions to provide courses as per WP Courseware http://wpcourseware.com/cb/ (which lists a number of membership plugins including yours to use to deliver courses). If that is not possible, I need to know asap (and your Membership manual needs editing to correct it..

Personally I would say no you can't, I see what the manual is saying, but it will conflict, the issue lies in this part.

As two dishes can have the same ingredients (as well as different ones included)

We're working on that and it should work like that, but currently they can't have the same ingredients unfortunately.

The PAO Community is just the BP function of the site. BP is a community site. My people are Public Affairs Officers. My WPMU theme is a BP theme. I have wondered if having BP built into the theme (vs a plugin) might be part of the issue of why Membership and BP are not working together. Others might be using two plugins (which is what I originally called it until I realised my BP is part of my actual theme - I didn't have to use a plugin. FYI in case it's useful info.

That is very interesting, so BP came packaged with your theme and didn't need to be downloaded/installed separately?

In the dishes analogy:

When you sit down to dinner (= sign up) you can order many dishes (=signing up to different subsription plans)

Yep, you have that spot on :slight_smile:

Jack

I just went to check my site and Patrick C is listed as a member as is a lot of my other testers...so my current (twisted pretzel) set-up appears to be working.

FYI.

Fantastic, glad to hear it! :slight_smile:

All is working well with people signing up - however, can you tell me why the Member numbers are different on the Members and Activity pages.

It is showing ‘Members (10 members)’ ‘Activity (12 members).

FYI in case it is a glitch and the developers need to look at it.

Not sure where Vinod came into this. Do you have a thread open with him too? :slight_smile:

That is strange, I'd expect that to be the other way around if anything, could you post some screenshots of wp-admin > users, wp-admin > all members please? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

Interesting I'm trying to replicate this but haven't been able to yet on my own install, when you was doing this, did you have anyone can register set in wp-admin > settings?

Did you have the registration page chosen in settings > BuddyPress > pages?

Yes I did have Anyone Can Register. (Makes logical sense that anyone can sign up to register - not explained anywhere how else to make sense of that - hint for the manual if it has some cryptic meaning mere mortals do not understand from the words used.)

This is standard BuddyPress procedure and can't effect BuddyPress with how it handles the pages if not set unfortunately. Though the warning can be safely ignored.

Yes I still have a Register page for BP (otherwise if you select NONE you get an Error message all over the page so I decided to hide that page instead to get rid of the message off my screen. (if it can be ignored, then that needs to be in the manual - hint).

From your messages above as you said this is all working now, is this part working, or is that still broken, to manually activate them, you can use this plugin here http://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-pending-activations/

Thanks for that - I am really reluctant to fiddle with the site when I am so close to going live with it (I have to earn an income!) No it is not working. I have done a workaround. BP activation was NOT working, Only the email came through in the first instance but the link did nothing. The next day (changing nothing) NOT EVEN the email was being sent. It is still at that stage now...which is why I ignored BP and swapped to the only thing that WAS working which was Membership registriation process and just had to remove the BP sign on and RENAME all the pages so the Membership "Subscription" page became a Sign Up Here page instead.

This may have caused the activation issues with both forms being accessible, when you said in the first post before you saw my post that it was resolved, was this part included in that or is it still not working?

Now I am confused (I was using Post# references so this wouldn't happen. What "first" post???? First at the beginning, first in the latest post????

No, it is NOT resolved. I have found a WORKAROUND to BP FORM NOT WORKING. I have taken the BP registration form out of the equation. It exists, BUT NOT ABLE TO BE ACCESSED BY ANYONE as I got that frigging "Error" message and there was no way to know if it could be "safely ignored" as you say above or not as there was NO INFORMATION on that anywhere. So I hid it so it could not be seen by any site user. It is NOT in any menu.

I may be wrong but I thought you said (somewhere) that both form (BP and Membership COULD both be used on a site?????

There is indeed, as this is the BuddyPress toolbar, you can use this guide here http://codex.buddypress.org/themes/modifying-the-buddypress-admin-bar/

Thanks - To do later once I work out what all the gobblydy-gook terminology means!

*****************************************************************************************

Personally I would say no you can't, I see what the manual is saying, but it will conflict, the issue lies in this part.

As two dishes can have the same ingredients (as well as different ones included)

We're working on that and it should work like that, but currently they can't have the same ingredients unfortunately.

So they can only take out FREE membership (and become part of the PAO Community - and NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE OUT ANY OTHER SUBSCRIPTION???? Frankly that leaves me and them with nothing. They can sign up to the PAO community AND THAT IS IT???
    That has just made the whole point of the plug-in and the plug-in itself USELESS.

..uummm and it conflicts with your later advice:

In the dishes analogy:

When you sit down to dinner (= sign up) you can order many dishes (=signing up to different subscription plans)

..doesn't that then mean that you CAN have more than one SUBSCRIPTION PLAN????? (ie contradicts what was said above?????)

This

Correct me if I am wrong but it is telling me that you can't REUSE access levels and have them in DIFFERENT Subscriptions.

Page A, Page B, Page C
    So You CAN"T have these three Subscriptions?
    Subscription 1 which has Page A and Page C access
    Subscription 2 which has Page B and Page C access
    Subscription 3 which has Page A and Page B access?
    Is that right - you can NOT do this?
    If not, then an Access level can ONLY be associated with ONE subscription plan and NO OTHER.

That has NOT been my understanding to date. if that is the case, why are all options there when you are putting subscription plans together - they should ghost out ones already use which you can't then reuse.
    *****************************************************************************************

That is very interesting, so BP came packaged with your theme and didn't need to be downloaded/installed separately?

Umm, yes. It is a WPMU Dev theme - it is a BP theme. I did not download BuddyPress, it was just part of it....as far as I recall. Can you check it out as I don't recall ever downloading BP. Thanks.
    An analogy: In effect if I go to the newsagent and order a subscription for Magazine A, that prevents me from ALSO taking out a subscription for Magazine B - how stupid is that. Please correct me if I am wrong.

From your own site for this theme:

As with all the WPMU DEV themes BuddyPress Fun is not only a BuddyPress theme it works with WordPress, Multisite
    and BuddyPress. All WPMU DEV themes also have child and parent themes, we don’t make you use one core parent or have to buy a framework like other companies, we let you create your own child themes with everyone of our themes. A WPMU DEV theme really is the only complete solution you need to theme your site.

• Karen

Jack

I just tried to see if I could add a new subscription plan under My Subscriptions BUT those buttons are not showing (reported as I need to know how to fix. If you know how, please post the answer!)

So I then went to Subscriptions but I still have PayPal sandbox operational so it didn't process as the other two options are paid ones.

So I then went to admin to try and add another access level and subscription plan to my KarenZ record..and I CAN.

Surely that means that you can have more than one access level as the choices are"ADD", "Move or "Drop". It warns you may cause loss of access in some instances (but that would depend on the levels within each membership surely.

So why even have "Add" as an option???

It doesn't make sense to me. Subscription Plans should/could comprise mutually exclusive sets of access levels (so subscription plans don't overlap) or they could contain the some of the same levels (eg the first access level of ALL Subscription Plans could be access to fee areas). In theory you should be able to sign up to different Subscription Plans.

I am going to look at the Membership videos again for this but I recall there was eg Chinese food series or you might want a mix of cuisines (which means eg French cooking lesson 1 would be part of the French cooking series as well as the mixed cuisine series.)

I hope you are able to clarify ASAP. Thanks.

• Karen

Jack

I went back last night and relistened to the videos.

Something is seriously out between what the WPMU advisers are saying and what the videos are saying.

Check out Video 12 on Membership - at 2.35 into it and again at 3.32 - it clearly talks about being able to have MANY memberships/Subscription Plans AND that Access Levels can be added to any Subscriptions. (You do need to make sure they don't conflict, but that should have more prominence - with examples on what WON'T/WILL work.)

So in summary you should be able to add Access Levels to different Subscription Plans AND someone should be able to take out MORE THAN ONE Subscription Plan.

If not. ALL your Membership VIDEOS need to be redone to be correct, as well as all your marketing material as they are patently promising something WPMU Dev cannot deliver with that plugin.

Feel free to prove me wrong. (but show me or give me some links that show how/why I am wrong/not getting it).

Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Karen,

Hope you're well today.

Yes I did have Anyone Can Register. (Makes logical sense that anyone can sign up to register - not explained anywhere how else to make sense of that - hint for the manual if it has some cryptic meaning mere mortals do not understand from the words used.)

Makes sense :slight_smile: Just if you was only use membership registration, that would be unchecked :slight_smile:

Yes I still have a Register page for BP (otherwise if you select NONE you get an Error message all over the page so I decided to hide that page instead to get rid of the message off my screen. (if it can be ignored, then that needs to be in the manual - hint).

Technically it can't be hidden as such within Membership, but we could add custom css to hide it, if you'd like?

Thanks for that - I am really reluctant to fiddle with the site when I am so close to going live with it (I have to earn an income!) No it is not working. I have done a workaround. BP activation was NOT working, Only the email came through in the first instance but the link did nothing. The next day (changing nothing) NOT EVEN the email was being sent. It is still at that stage now...which is why I ignored BP and swapped to the only thing that WAS working which was Membership registriation process and just had to remove the BP sign on and RENAME all the pages so the Membership "Subscription" page became a Sign Up Here page instead.

Now I am confused (I was using Post# references so this wouldn't happen. What "first" post???? First at the beginning, first in the latest post????

No, it is NOT resolved. I have found a WORKAROUND to BP FORM NOT WORKING. I have taken the BP registration form out of the equation. It exists, BUT NOT ABLE TO BE ACCESSED BY ANYONE as I got that frigging "Error" message and there was no way to know if it could be "safely ignored" as you say above or not as there was NO INFORMATION on that anywhere. So I hid it so it could not be seen by any site user. It is NOT in any menu.

I may be wrong but I thought you said (somewhere) that both form (BP and Membership COULD both be used on a site?????

Sorry i meant your previous post before my previous post, I'd be happy taking a look into the bp activation issues for you, but as this is a live site, I didn't want to change anything without checking etc, the plugin linked to should also work for ones that aren't working.

So they can only take out FREE membership (and become part of the PAO Community - and NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE OUT ANY OTHER SUBSCRIPTION???? Frankly that leaves me and them with nothing. They can sign up to the PAO community AND THAT IS IT???
    That has just made the whole point of the plug-in and the plug-in itself USELESS.

..uummm and it conflicts with your later advice:

In the dishes analogy:

When you sit down to dinner (= sign up) you can order many dishes (=signing up to different subscription plans)

..doesn't that then mean that you CAN have more than one SUBSCRIPTION PLAN????? (ie contradicts what was said above?????)

This

Correct me if I am wrong but it is telling me that you can't REUSE access levels and have them in DIFFERENT Subscriptions.

Page A, Page B, Page C
    So You CAN"T have these three Subscriptions?
    Subscription 1 which has Page A and Page C access
    Subscription 2 which has Page B and Page C access
    Subscription 3 which has Page A and Page B access?
    Is that right - you can NOT do this?
    If not, then an Access level can ONLY be associated with ONE subscription plan and NO OTHER.

That has NOT been my understanding to date. if that is the case, why are all options there when you are putting subscription plans together - they should ghost out ones already use which you can't then reuse.

Sorry I think that's been confused a bit, what I'm trying to say is you can have multiple subscriptions, that's fine, but they can't have conflicting rules.

So say you have pages, 1, 2, 3. Access level A has page access to 1 and 2, this is on a free subscription.

Access level B, has access to 1 and 3, on a premium subscription, if that user has both subscriptions, this would conflict, as they both contain access to the 3rd page, if that makes sense?

Umm, yes. It is a WPMU Dev theme - it is a BP theme. I did not download BuddyPress, it was just part of it....as far as I recall. Can you check it out as I don't recall ever downloading BP. Thanks.

That's quite odd, I've checked out the download package and it doesn't include BuddyPress, BuddyPress must be downloaded separately.

I tried with attachments re Users but I can't get the screenshots to be small enough. Any tips on how to get them under your limits appreciated.

Sorry about, try putting them as .pngs if your using .jpgs :slight_smile:

So I then went to Subscriptions but I still have PayPal sandbox operational so it didn't process as the other two options are paid ones.

So I then went to admin to try and add another access level and subscription plan to my KarenZ record..and I CAN.

Surely that means that you can have more than one access level as the choices are"ADD", "Move or "Drop". It warns you may cause loss of access in some instances (but that would depend on the levels within each membership surely.

So why even have "Add" as an option???

You can indeed have multiple access levels (explained above), for the issue when you go to the subscriptions page, you'd pick your new subscription to add to the current ones on the registration page (I can see that is confusing and we're looking at changing that).

Check out Video 12 on Membership - at 2.35 into it and again at 3.32 - it clearly talks about being able to have MANY memberships/Subscription Plans AND that Access Levels can be added to any Subscriptions. (You do need to make sure they don't conflict, but that should have more prominence - with examples on what WON'T/WILL work.)

So in summary you should be able to add Access Levels to different Subscription Plans AND someone should be able to take out MORE THAN ONE Subscription Plan.

Explained above, let me know if that makes sense, basically you can, but they cannot conflict with pages/posts.

I'm here to help :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

Thanks again - just starting to go thru your response but I am not sure what this means (it isn't making english sense to me, sorry):

Makes sense :slight_smile: Just if you was only use membership registration, that would be unchecked :slight_smile:

Sorry, if it was unchecked, what would happen?

Can you clarify - if I want strangers to see the site but only members (who have registered a subscription plan) to have access to the subscription plan areas.

Sorry but it isn't clear to me what you are saying.

Perhaps you can advise:

1. Leave the box unchecked if you want [x] to happen.
    2. Check the box if you want [y] to happen.

Thanks.

• Karen

Jack

Regarding the BP Register page being "hidden"

Technically it can't be hidden as such within Membership, but we could add custom css to hide it, if you'd like?

It is - for practical purposes - "hidden" from any users of the site. It is not a page they can click on as it is NOT in ANY menu. Ie not accessible.

I am happy to leave it like that - as the BP function works and so does the Membership function.

I don't have time to fiddle with it any more.

(PS I am chopping the responses up as they are getting too long and we can just ignore any questions already answered. FYI).

• Karen

Jack

Yeah...this makes a lot more sense...THAT is the key issue with the Membership plug in that is NOT HIGHLIGHTED - it is said in PASSING in one spot that I can recall.
    *A Member CAN have more than ONE Subscription Plan.
    *Any Access Level can be attached to ANY Subscription Plan
    *Be careful that conflicts don't occur when someone signs up to TWO Plans where the Access Levels conflict.
    AND THEN give examples so people can see what you mean about conflicting Levels/Plans like you did below.

Hey presto, many issues would be solved and much grief (in Users) avoided if all this was clear at the start.

So, in summary, this (below) is what should DEFINITELY go in the manual - Maybe you should have "Warning" sections sprinked throughout it (like Dummies books have).

Sorry I think that's been confused a bit, what I'm trying to say is you can have multiple subscriptions, that's fine, but they can't have conflicting rules.

So say you have pages, 1, 2, 3. Access level A has page access to 1 and 2, this is on a free subscription.

Access level B, has access to 1 and 3, on a premium subscription, if that user has both subscriptions, this would conflict, as they both contain access to the 3rd page, if that makes sense?

Makes a lot of sense....put it in the Manual! :slight_smile:

• Karen

Jack ...

At this spot in your response (just so you know as I had to read it a few times to see what was happening as it looked like I was advising myself!) I think you swapped putting quotes around my posts to around your responses ie :

That's quite odd, I've checked out the download package and it doesn't include BuddyPress, BuddyPress must be downloaded separately.

I tried with attachments re Users but I can't get the screenshots to be small enough. Any tips on how to get them under your limits appreciated.

Sorry about, try putting them as .pngs if your using .jpgs :slight_smile:

• Karen

Jack

Explained above, let me know if that makes sense, basically you can, but they cannot conflict with pages/posts.

yes your one clear explanation removed a whole raft of questions (just as they will do when it gets in the manual) and it will cut down on advising time so you can get on with other things!

Thanks - advice appreciated.

Now I have a much better understanding of the plugin I can now advise my members how to use the site.

Re BP registration page - maybe later I can copy the site to the old test site so you can play around with it. I just have to learn how to copy the database as well as the files. When I moved the site I followed my host's instructions but he didn't tell me to make a new database so i got "forced"to use my new site. I have to do another move soon to the "real" site which is http://www.publicaffairs.com.au (which is the current live site) but we are having issues with moving it from the current registrar to the new one so we can then move hosting. More technical stuff I dislike. Ah well.

Thanks for help with this one.

Should it be closed?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen,

Hope you're well today.

Sorry, if it was unchecked, what would happen?

Can you clarify - if I want strangers to see the site but only members (who have registered a subscription plan) to have access to the subscription plan areas.

Sorry but it isn't clear to me what you are saying.

Perhaps you can advise:

1. Leave the box unchecked if you want [x] to happen.
    2. Check the box if you want [y] to happen.

1: Leave the box unchecked if you don't want them to use BuddyPress and just want them to use Membership registration.

2: Check the box if you want them to be able to use both BuddyPress and Membership registration.

Makes a lot of sense....put it in the Manual! :slight_smile:

Awesome, pinging @Patrick Cohen :slight_smile:

We have a simple guide here on duplicating the database https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/copy-wordpress-database/ :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

I have a number of plugins and am trying to use Paypal standard for them all.

The different plugsins ask for different things - that don't relate to the terms that paypal uses.

I have a business account with Paypal and it works with some plugins just by putting in my merchant ID and my paypal email.

With others they want the API signature, API username and API ID.

It seems that I almost need developer status with Paypal - I got lost trying to work out the sandbox side of things so I have just been trying to make them active and change the costs to $0.50 to see if things actually work.

Do I need to go into the developer part of Paypal when I am just using the plugins? ie what do you actually need set up on the Paypal side of things to be able to use the plugins ie a list of things such as Merchant ID etc).

It is really understanding the link between Paypal and the plug in when you are only using Paypal and don't have e-commerce / shopping cart etc set up (unless Products has one built into it? and you use Paypal with it and it's all free?).

Happy to be educated about it all. (I am sure others will be interested too.)

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Karen,

Hope you're well today.

You don't need to use the developer side of things, though it does help in testing to have the sandbox accounts, so transactions can be tested as though they are live.

So as a end user, using PayPal with plugins, all you need is the following.

-Merchant ID (most plugins don't use this, but some do, for example Membership) :slight_smile:

-API Signature, API username and API password. This is what most plugin require.

The issue here lies is PayPal sends a IPN (Instant Payment notification), once Payment is completed, quite often a plugin will give you a specific URL to enter in for the IPN URL in PayPal. For example MarketPress does.

The issue with that is, that only one IPN return URL can be used, so if your using say MarketPress and our Pro sites plugin which both require that URL to be set to something specific. You'd need a IPN forwarding script, this basically forwards that notification from all the IPN's your using to one central one.

You won't have to worry about though if the plugin doesn't require a specific IPN URL set or if your using a separate PayPal account username.

The cost for PayPal can vary country by country, but a general rule is in the UK where I am, the fees start at

3.4% of total amount plus a fixed fee of 20p per transaction. This is the top rate and their are discounted fees for registered merchants with PayPal.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Then there's PayPal Pro which is where you can accept credit cards on your site direct with no redirect to PayPal, https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/pro that is £20 per month with varying fees based on sales volume.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jas

It appears to me, from reading this long post, that getting WPMU Membership Pro and Buddypress to play together nicely is either a joke or a f#cking nightmare. I don't want to go anywhere near your membership plugin after reading this. You don't promote this plugin in a way that assures me that it really has been brought up to snuff with the new version of Buddypress, and I now have zero confidence that your membership plugin will do what I want, or really even work at all with Buddypress. I think I'll check out Paid Membership Pro... which is a bummer since I'm already a paid member of WPMU. Seems like there has been too much resting on your laurels at WPMU. I suggest diving in and revamping Membership from the ground up... if you want to continue to be taken seriously in this arena.

With much appreciation for all the good things you do,
    jas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.