Can someone give me a quick, plain English explanation

Can someone give me a quick, plain English explanation (preferably in forums, not a link to the answer) as to the difference between a regular theme and a responsive theme and what the pros and cons are of each?

Thank you.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Hope you're doing well today.

Responsive themes is the lingo web designers use to state that their sites/themes will automatically re-size to fit on any size screen. In most cases this is in reference to phones/tablets.

A regular theme might just shrink the size and make everything really small or it might not shrink some elements at all so they go way off the screen.

Responsive, everything should fit on your screen, no matter what size it is.

Pros of Responsive:

-fits any screen
    -more and more users browse the web on their phones
    -ensures certain actions work on mobile devices

Cons of Responsive:

-If the responsiveness is poorly executed then it can make navigation more difficult. Site could look worse.
    -more expensive (if you were paying someone to do it)

Pros of regular:

-everything will look the same (generally) whether its on desktop or mobile. This can be a pro because users may be more familiar with the interface
    -Some users might prefer the desktop version even on mobile

Cons of regular:

-some functions might not even work on mobile
    -everything might be re-sized very small to fit on the screen
    -users will have to zoom in to read/click anything
    -may take longer to load on mobile devices

Hope that helps Michael! That's just a quick run down of pro's and con's - I'm sure there are many more that I didn't think of! Perhaps others will chime in as well.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.