Can the membership plugin protect a sub-domain blog from non-members automatically?

Simple question.
I use wordpress multisite with a sub-domain setup.

I create a sub-domain blog 'members.mysite.com'

If I run the membership plugin on the primary website, can I sell a membership that will restrict access to EVERYTHING AUTOMATICALLY on the members.mysite.com blog?

I don't want my site admin to have to remember to tick 'protect' this content, on anything on that sub-domain. Everything, all plugins, bbpress, buddypress, etc, whatever I place on that members blog should automatically be protected.

Is this possible with membership?

If so, where is the documentation showing me how to do this?

• Paul Barthmaier

Hi there,

First off, let me say that I understand that Membership is complex and we like to be sure that folks have reviewed our Usage instructions found at:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#usage

In addition, if may also be useful to have in your possession a copy of the manual that was created for the plugin, which you will see the link on the Usage page, but here it is as well:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Membership-Documentation-SJC.pdf

This is for a previous version, but it largely remains useful relevant.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Paul

"Try it, you'll like it!"

~Advice from an Alka Seltzer ad.

• Paul Barthmaier

The second thing I see is that you could do for an update of the plugin. WE're actually at version 3.4.3.1 already. Can you update so you can be sure to maintain maximum functionality?

Now, as for your question, I suppose the answer to the question as written would be no, but I'd like to suggest something else instead. Membership is built to run on a single site out of the box. There are modifications that can adjust its functionality to accommodate global restrictions, but before going into that, I will ask if you need to trouble yourself with that. From what you describe, perhaps you only need Membership to be active on that Subdomain where you want to restrict member access, no? That is, if on your main site you have generic open information, you won'[t need membership.

I guess it's another way of approaching things, and it helps simplify, which appeals to me. That being said, it requires for you to rethink how you distribute information and it could be that it doesn't make sense for your context. Of course, you could always give it a go and then later define your global tables to extend Membership.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Paul

"Try it, you'll like it!"

~Advice from an Alka Seltzer ad.

• Mark Wallace

Hiya!

Good to see you agian @shawng you too! Paul Barthmaier.

Shawn give this a try,

Create a NBT "New Blog Template" exactly the way you want it, then try creating a few test sites using the NBT. I believe the setting will hold.

Membership i am not to familiar with, but have gotten amazing results with NBT, even things it was not designed to do. And the developer is willing to make it work with just about any popular plugin.

But do give it a go, and i think you will be pleased.

Be Blessed!

• shawng

This is actually not for my primary site but for a client that approached me and wanted me to begin working on his site today. So yeah, even though I have an outdated vs. on my old site (I never used it, gave up), I would of course use the most current vs. on the clients site.

@Paul Barthmaier
    Wow, i don't understand your answer, but I think you are saying that I only need to have 'members only' information on the sub-domain so that I should just install the plugin on the sub-domain site only ?

For this client, I plan on keeping it as simple as possible, no multi-level memberships or anything.

Scenario:
    Primary domain = wide open content to anyone

user registers on the website, can receive updates, emails etc, primary site has buddypress, woocommerce etc, all the regular tools.

members domain = members only content, not viewable by public
    members.mysite.com

This subdomain will contain information only for paid members.

so, if I understand what you are saying:
    I would only install membership on the members.mysite.com blog?

I can make it so that everything on that blog, other than the signup page, is automatically protected, including any plugins, custom post types etc that I use?

If that is the case, then yeah it will work great for me.

• shawng

@And.Hello

It is good to be back and to hear from you to. I have been gone a long time taking care of a family member. I'm back now

I am not giving the users their own websites at this point. I am only trying to build a system where the site admin can post videos, posts, journals, custom-post-types etc, that only paying members have access to. This is a totally different project than before.

The idea is he will post his stuff primarily on the 'members only' blog, and only those members that register on the primary site and pay for the membership have access to it.

• shawng

Is there any chance of this EVER becoming a reality with the wpmu membership plugin?

I had to drop the last client who wanted this functionality and now I am back in the same boat with a new client.

I can come up with dozens, if not more, great scenarios where a setup like this is desirable.

Basically, all I want to do is to sell a membership that grants a user access to a specific sub-domain website when they purchase a specific product. Everyone else who visits the site should be directed back to the purchase page.

WHY?
    This client puts on hundreds of conferences a year. When you purchase your ticket to the conference, then you gain access to the website for that conference which includes tons of different types of content.

The client currently builds brand new sites for every conference which imho is just plain stupid and takes to much work. Not to mention they loose many sales by loosing cross promotion.

So, how hard would it be to get membership to protect an entire sub-domain 'blog' for displaying content on that site to only those who have an active membership for that site?

*Other plugins, which I have now purchased, such as amember, do this with no problem. It's just the wpmu membership plugin is SO far behind the curve on this. I'd prefer to stick with membership if possible, but after months of waiting, I'm pretty much giving up on wpmu on all my 'requests'.....

• Tom Eagles

@shawng

Hey there shawn, just going through some old threads here and spotted this one. For some reason this fell through the net. The membership plugin is going to be updated soon and i am going to move this one to features ad requests, we do look at every request that comes in and features are added as time and popularity allow. This one as you mention is available in other membership plugins and should stand a good chance of being added to ours.

Cheers

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.