Can the Upfront Theme export a theme you've designed into a stand alone theme?

I have been researching better ways to develop themes, and as a WPMUDEV member, I always look through the massive library you guys have to see if I can put together a solution here first. Upfront looks amazing! My question relates to whether Upfront allows you to only develop a theme within its own framework, OR if once you are done building your theme, you can export a fully functional theme that can be used separate from Upfront? And also, if you use such a stand alone theme (either one that has been exported from Upfront, or a non-Upfront theme), can you begin using Upfront on those themes?

I realize that Upfront is more of a parent/child theme kind of relationship. I am guessing that all of the main functionality is housed in the Upfront parent? That should mean that once Upfront parent is uploaded, you can use any theme as a child to begin editing it with Upfront?

... or did I miss the small bus?

If this isn't on your radar yet, I think it would make your more "developer" members happy. I'd love to be able to use Upfront to build salable themes that don't depend on the original Upfront parent to function. PLUS the added benefit of building such themes, and then offering Upfront as part of a larger package for my clients.

Sounds good, right?

Is any of this possible yet, or in the future?

How many people can, and would use Upfront in this way?

Thanks for listening. I look forward to some discussion!

• Jude

Hey @mediastead

We heard ya and its already in the works. Upfront already has an almost ready builder. This project lets you create and export you own themes and even sell the designs if you want.

That said upfront is designed in a way that only child themes built around the upfront framework will be able to leverage the features it offers. It also means that any child themes you create using the builder will be upfront compatible when exported.

Hope that clarifies, I cant give you an ETA but I can say that its expected to release real soon.

Cheers
    Jude

• mediastead

Jude,

Thanks for the reply! To clarify this statement:

That said upfront is designed in a way that only child themes built around the upfront framework will be able to leverage the features it offers. It also means that any child themes you create using the builder will be upfront compatible when exported.

You are saying that when exported from Upfront, I will have an Upfront child theme that needs Upfront to work, or I will have a theme that can be either an Upfront child theme, OR a stand alone parent theme?

I understand what you said about only being able to use Upfront child themes with Upfront, and not ANY theme, but when someone exports from Upfront, they will be creating an Upfront compatible only version of that theme, or will it be completely usable without Upfront?

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.