Can these options/features be done with Marketpress

Hi

I would like to create a niche market place that has similar features to Ebay. I have a few questions that are still not answered even though I did a lot of reading. Plugins enabled relating to this matter with multi site enabled; Buddypress, Marketpress and Pro-site.

1. Can I setup my main market on a subsite and still be able to use the global widgets to list all products from the other stores within my network.
2. Is it possible to allow members to chose;
a.Create a store via creating a subsite, and I get a cut of their sales.( I know that this is possible as this is what marketpress is designed to do) However is it possible to give these options;
i. they can either create a store for free and I take a percentage of each sale or
ii. they pay a monthly subscription and I won’t take a cut of the sales.

b. Upload their products on my site without creating a store. As not everyone has a business and can sell many items, some people just want to sell just one item eg a used book, used phone etc. So it wouldn’t be convenient for them nor for me to create a store just to sell one item. (I know this will require a front end user to allow members to upload products which I am aware of) So my questions regarding this point;
i. is this possible? if yes how can I set it up from the marketpress settings
ii. can I still get a cut of the their sale, (putting in mind that these members won’t be owning a business paypal account they will just have the normal one just like when you sell an item on Ebay. As from what I read for chain payments the members have to have a paypal account higher than the normal free version)

3.this just a general question. If a member uploaded a fake product lets say a video tutorial and they just uploaded a picture but no video, and a customer bough the product. Who will cover up for this, who will be responsible will paypal cover up for this if I would to use paypal

just to mention I am not a developer so any custom coding would be out of the question unless instructions provided.

Lastly thank you in advance for your help and thanks to the great wpmudev community
and apologies for the long question

• aecnu

Greetings akh701,

Thank you for the questions.

Can I setup my main market on a subsite and still be able to use the global widgets to list all products from the other stores within my network.

Yes with the included option to allow shortcodes to operate global and not restricted to the main site.

Create a store via creating a subsite

No this is not going to happen this way - the new sub site will need to be created from the main site and TLD into a sub site i.e. sub1.yourdomain.com

Otherwise it would create invalid sub sites of sub sites i.e. subsub.sub1.yourdomain.com

they can either create a store for free and I take a percentage of each sale or they pay a monthly subscription and I won’t take a cut of the sales.

It will need to be one or the other or two separate installations.

The chained payments for getting a percentage and the subscription payment gateways cannot be run concurrently on a single install - well they can but then this would be running subscription and percentage i.e. instead of one or the other, they would pay a subscription and a percentage of sales.

Upload their products on my site without creating a store.

No not unless you added the products manually to a store of your own or another.

this just a general question. If a member uploaded a fake product lets say a video tutorial and they just uploaded a picture but no video, and a customer bough the product. Who will cover up for this, who will be responsible will paypal cover up for this if I would to use paypal

PayPal will take money from you - who is indeed responsible, of course the end user is going to file a PayPal dispute to get their money back.

On the front end though it will most reflect on the individual store to end users/consumers.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• akh701

@aecnu

Hi Joe thanks for the quick reply

just a quick question. what if a member creates a store and uploads their items but have a normal paypal account can I still get a cut from their sales? and if not how can I go about this?

also I read about not enabling the global cart if I want to get a percentage of the sales. so my question is when I use the global product listing on my main page, and a customer clicks to buy an item will they be directed to the original store where the item was originally uploaded from.

thank you

• aecnu

Greetings akh701,

Thank you for the additional questions.

what if a member creates a store and uploads their items but have a normal paypal account can I still get a cut from their sales?

Sure this will work just fine but YOU must have a business and use PayPal chained payments to make this happen - I think they will need a Premier account or business account to accept credit cards.

also I read about not enabling the global cart if I want to get a percentage of the sales. so my question is when I use the global product listing on my main page, and a customer clicks to buy an item will they be directed to the original store where the item was originally uploaded from.

Your comprehension of this is spot on.

Cheers, Joe

• akh701

Hi @aecnu
    I Hope you are well, sorry that I keep re-opening the thread and asking more questions.

so as long as I have a business or premier paypal account and have the chained payments enabled then I will be able to get a cut of the sales regardless of what paypal account the person selling/uploading the item has

Also about my question 2 a) to provide options i and ii. is it possible to do this by pro-site and membership plugin. so that customers who which to create a free store and I get a cut of their sales I would use the pro-site, and for customers who just which to pay monthly subscription to have a store I would use the membership plugin

this is just a thought but don't know if it is possible.

• aecnu

Greetings akh701,

Thank you for the additional question.

so as long as I have a business or premier paypal account and have the chained payments enabled then I will be able to get a cut of the sales regardless of what paypal account the person selling/uploading the item has

This is true to the extent that you have an approved PayPal API for your chained payments and partially true that if the client does not have a business or premier account they cannot accept credit card payments. PayPal's rules.

to provide options i and ii. is it possible to do this by pro-site and membership plugin. so that customers who which to create a free store and I get a cut of their sales I would use the pro-site, and for customers who just which to pay monthly subscription to have a store I would use the membership plugin

This sounds like a possibility though it will require two completely different installations the free stores where you get a cut and another store where you use Pro Sites for the monthly fee stores.

Have a GREAT week ahead!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.