Can this safely be used with other CustomPress Post types?

I have a Multisite food blog which has a recipe custom post type created by the theme. It wasn't enough so I added more using CustomPress. Now I'm looking to add a directory listing of cooking classes and chefs but the website uses CustomPress for a couple other additional custom post types. Can I safely use both? How would it work if I needed a slew of custom post types? Would I just avoid a naming conflict using both?

• signed_up

Can I safely use both?

You should be able to, unless you have a usual instance. Report back if you face issues.

How would it work if I needed a slew of custom post types?

Use CustomPress to create the post types and then, make directories for them. Tell me if you need more help here?

Would I just avoid a naming conflict using both?

Yes, do avoid creating the same name on a custom post type using both solutions. Other than that, you should be fine!

Tell me how this works for you! If you need more information, just post a reply.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @UpcomingMedia

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

You should be fine to use CustomPress and create as many post types as needed, just avoid naming conflicts and it should work perfectly, if you are already using our directory or classifieds plugin, CustomPress won't need to be installed as it is included with those plugins :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @UpcomingMedia

Thanks for the additional information, in this case, are you using our directory plugin? A post type can have custom fields assigned but not another post type.

For example if your using directory, you could assign the custom field of color to directory_listing post type, but you could add that as a post and have it show on the directory listings, as it's then it's own post type, if that makes sense? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• UpcomingMedia

Hello @Jack Kitterhing

Basically, the old site only has post type content which needed to be sorted into custom content types. Currently, some custom content types are created by CustomPress and the new theme being used.

I have three additional content types which I feel Directory should/could handle: Cooking Classes, Cooking Stores / Locations, Personal Chef Listings.

I was curious as to the best way to make these directory items. Should I:

1) just make them a category and have it sorted using the Directory's category method?

OR

2) Create a custom directory content type for each one I require?

As I need to be able to filter each content type using 3 criteria: location, ethnicity, or specialty and add in specific information depending on the type.

I figured my sorting criteria and specific information would be the associated categories/tags and custom fields for the custom directory content type.

Thoughts?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @UpcomingMedia

I hope you are well today and thanks for the additional information.

1) and 2) combined :slight_smile: There can't be a sub post type for a custom post type if that makes sense, though you can have custom taxonomies (categories, tags etc).

The best thing would be to add a whole new post type of it's own in my opinion and have them separate from the directory, maybe even a post type for each one with custom fields and custom taxonomies.,

Or if that won't really work, the next best thing would be 1) and have them as categories and maybe even add some custom fields for them, but they would be on the directory_lisitng post type, if that makes sense?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• UpcomingMedia

Hey @Jack Kitterhing

Thanks for the reply. I believe I understand what you mean..

So I can't make a "Class Directory" Post type and a "Store Directory" Post type using Custom Press assigning it the custom type of "listing", like assigned to the Directory Type inside CustomPress when you install the Directory plugin?

To solve my issue I would just have to make them regular directory entries with a category of Store or Class assigned to separate the content?

I want to use the power of Directory and its' features without having to be limited to only creating a single Listing content type and assigning it the Category of Class or Store.

Is there no way to create custom content types inside CustomPress and then assign them the features that directory also gives to its content type, while keeping the nomenclature separate to not double up on something?

Am I making sense? Is there a more logical method to going about what I'm trying to achieve?

I appreciate your time and patience on this support matter.

Cheers,

UpcomingMedia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.