Can we put pro users on a different db using multi db plugin?

I know that we can split the db using multi-db plugin but I am not sure if I can use it in a way that all paid subscribers moved on to a different database hosted on a better server.

Is it possible with Multi-DB?

• aecnu

Greetings chodhry,

Thank you for the great question.

I know that we can split the db using multi-db plugin but I am not sure if I can use it in a way that all paid subscribers moved on to a different database hosted on a better server.

Is it possible with Multi-DB?

Certainly it is possible, but you will actually lose performance not gain it due to latency communicating to the database.

The only way to get benefit out of this is if you move the entire site and database to the better server.

Your only as fast as your slowest moving part, and not only will it require more round trip time for MySQL queries, it will just come back to the same ole same old.

What do you mean by VIP databases? Is that another plugin or you are saying to manually create the plugin to do that?

VIP is just a table or tables of the Multi DB plugin.

Also can we make it in a way that we could distribute databases on different physical servers on different instances of any cloud computing service?

The performance issues will haunt you forever and mind you, cloud computing is a BS sales lie and rhetoric - all cloud computing is referring to hosting is networked servers or anything connected to the internet is actually in the cloud.

"Oh its in the cloud" - gimme a break ... lol ... it is like saying I will give you wet water.

Cloud Computing is BS!
    http://www.horsesforsources.com/vineet-nayar-hfs-120310

Anyway what you are proposing is a nightmare and the whole purpose of Multi DB will be lost in round trip latency between DB servers.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• chodhry

thanks aecnu for the reply.

How about following configuration.

User authentication and re-routing is on server 1.
    Data (DB+ media) pertaining to Free users is kept on server 2 without any high level SLA.
    Data (DB+ media) pertaining to paid users is kept on server 3 with a mission critical SLA.

So the authentication and rerouting to appropriate server is same for everyone. Difference is once you are authenticated.

From visitor's perspective, paid user's data will always be ensured to deliver and kept safe with sw/hw level protection while free user's data will only have inexpensive sw level measures.

And by the way you are right on cloud stuff. But I meant it in another way. Please correct me if I am wrong. In a physically boxed server there is a point where you will have to add a completely new machine but in racked setup all the major performance boosters (CPU/RAM/STORAGE/ETC) can be managed on individual level.

From cost perspective I have found managing a single high end server cost's way less for similar performance than managing multiple instances on a cloud setup. Both have their own pros and cons and it really depends the way you are seeing the scalability of your service.

• aecnu

Greetings chodhry,

Thank you for your additional input and sorry that you caused and answer to your ticket to be delayed by at least one day ... I shall explain using a copy and paste from another ticket explaining why I said this sir because your ticket did not come up on my screen until today, I am certainly not ignoring you or skipping your ticket:

****Please note:****
    One reason in this particular ticket here that we are having delays in a response is because of the way the ticket system works. The ticket system see's every reply as well a reply ... and then changes it's priority in the support que to include ticket aging.

Therefore it may not show up on our screens as early as it would under normal conditions. It is usually in your best interest to not bump tickets or reply to them unless there is something significant to add.
    ****Please note****

Now that you have an idea of how the ticket system actually works and how after the first ticket it is then subject to the aging rule - Forward to checking out your potential plan:

User authentication and re-routing is on server 1.
    Data (DB+ media) pertaining to Free users is kept on server 2 without any high level SLA.
    Data (DB+ media) pertaining to paid users is kept on server 3 with a mission critical SLA.

This certainly sounds like it will work with redirection taking place upon authentication of course.

In a physically boxed server there is a point where you will have to add a completely new machine but in racked setup all the major performance boosters (CPU/RAM/STORAGE/ETC) can be managed on individual level.

Absolutely and also you could add a second server as well, copy everything to it but use the same database setting as the first so they share the same database, and use poor mans load balancing to split the traffic between the two boxes.

From cost perspective I have found managing a single high end server cost's way less for similar performance than managing multiple instances on a cloud setup. Both have their own pros and cons and it really depends the way you are seeing the scalability of your service.

Or more accurately implementing the scalability of your service :smiley:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings chodhry,

Thank you for the additional question and I do not know exactly what you are referring to specifically that you mentioned above but Zyniker was indeed correct about the VIP database items and you can use the included IP addressing with user name and password to the higher so called SLA server as you see fit.

So that is not custom coding so to speak with the exception of the different IP's and user name and database name for those special tables being hosted elsewhere.

Hopefully that clarified things.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.