Can we set up a free plan for Membership 2?

Thinking that Membership 2 will be good for managing our visitors/members that read our content. Not looking to charge for access yet but thought it would be better to have the system set up for awhile before layering on any paywalls. Are we able to install Membership 2 and set up a Plan where users (and guests) have complete access to the site for now?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Ray,

Hope you're doing well today!

Are we able to install Membership 2 and set up a Plan where users (and guests) have complete access to the site for now?

Yes :slight_smile: you can even setup a default membership that is automatically applied to all new members so they don't have to actually select one. Or you can just setup a regular membership and make it free, so no payment is needed. They would then select that Membership and it would take them to the registration page.

As for the Guests, you can create a specific guest membership too. As illustrated in my screenshot. This is for anyone who is visiting your site and not logged in.

Since you don't plan on protecting anything right now, you can just create both memberships and thats it. Long as you don't protect anything for the members only membership then it will all be visible to everyone including guests. Once you do protect something, that will only be available to the membership you protect it for, you can allow as many memberships as you like to see the content, even the guests.

Creating a Guest membership allows you to create content that only guests can see and members can't. This is useful if you have sales pages, no point in showing your already registered members a page that promotes becoming a member so you can hide it to members and allow only guests to see it. That's just one example.

Okay, hopefully I didn't ramble on too much here. Short version, yes - what you're wanting is possible :slight_smile:

Let us know if you have any further questions!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Ray Scarpa

Thanks so much for the info. We're trying it out, however the first message I get in the admin panel is:

BuddyPress uses a page that is also used as a Membership page by Membership 2.
    Please assign a different page for either Membership 2 or BuddyPress to avoid conflicts.

11699 - Register

We did activate the BuddyPress add-on in Membership 2 Pro but the warning message remains. Just having trouble understanding how all these "Register" and "Account" pages play together. Between WordPress standard, WooCommerce, BuddyPress and now Membership 2, it seems like there are too many options competing for the same user. Assuming there is ultimately only one "account" per user, but really need to understand the best way to manage and display the various ways they relate. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

And to clarify on your above comments, are you thinking that we should set up two membership types to start, a default membership and a guest membership (both free)? And the guests wouldn't actually be "members" yet, since they haven't ever registered or logged in, right?

I really appreciate the time you put in to the answer above. The documentation for the plugin is great, but having a couple of actual use cases and screenshots is always uber-helpful!

Ray

• Tyler Postle

Hey Ray,

Apologies for my delay here. Thanks for your reply!

We did activate the BuddyPress add-on in Membership 2 Pro but the warning message remains. Just having trouble understanding how all these "Register" and "Account" pages play together.

Did you activate the Registration integration option inside the BuddyPress add-on as well? You can do this by going back to the add-ons then clicking the "Details" link beside the BP add-on.

Once you have that activated then you need to set the BuddyPress Registration page as your M2 "Memberships" page - you want it to have this shortcode on it:

[ms-membership-signup]

Then still have the Membership 2 registration page set normally. So the BuddyPress and M2 registration pages are different pages.

You can make the Membership 2 "Memberships" page whatever you like now, just a placeholder page if you like to remove that same page error.

Between WordPress standard, WooCommerce, BuddyPress and now Membership 2, it seems like there are too many options competing for the same user. Assuming there is ultimately only one "account" per user, but really need to understand the best way to manage and display the various ways they relate. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

With the above registration add-on active, that should clean up the registration process, it will now use the BuddyPress form so you can add additional fields to it if you like :slight_smile:

If you're wanting to combine all the information that each account/profile page offers then that would take some custom development to achieve. If you want to hire a developer then we do have a jobs board for that: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

And to clarify on your above comments, are you thinking that we should set up two membership types to start, a default membership and a guest membership (both free)?

Yes, the "Default" and "Guest" membership types are special ones in Membership 2 - you can only create 1 of them. This allows you to better control what users who don't have any membership see and also visitors.

And the guests wouldn't actually be "members" yet, since they haven't ever registered or logged in, right?

That's correct. The "Guest" membership is automatically applied to any non-logged in visitor. They won't show up in your members list or anything.

The documentation for the plugin is great, but having a couple of actual use cases and screenshots is always uber-helpful!

Appreciate the feedback! We are looking at ways to make our documentation more thorough and easy to navigate :slight_smile:

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any further issues/questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Ray Scarpa

Hi Tyler - A couple of questions:

After activating the Registration integration option inside the BuddyPress add-on, I selected "Memberships" as the Register page. Now I get a warning that says

"BuddyPress uses a page that is also used as a Membership page by Membership 2. Please assign a different page for either Membership 2 or Buddy Press to avoid conflicts.
    11697 - Memberships"

I guess I'm wondering why I would use the BuddyPress registration page in the first place, instead of your Membership 2 registration page?

Also, I asked:

And to clarify on your above comments, are you thinking that we should set up two membership types to start, a default membership and a guest membership (both free)?

You answered:

"Yes, the "Default" and "Guest" membership types are special ones in Membership 2 - you can only create 1 of them. This allows you to better control what users who don't have any membership see and also visitors."

So should I set up two types of memberships or can I only "create 1 of them," and if so, which one? RIght now I just want to offer all content free to all visitors and users. Should I just deactivate Membership 2 until we're ready to protect and/or charge for content?

And we were only looking at BuddyPress for the extended profiles for now (not setting up an internal social network) so should we deactivate that as well until we're ready? Concerned about multiple users having to set up multiple accounts within the system based upon whether or not they're buying something. The reason we went with WooCommerce (as opposed to a separate OpenCart site, for example) is exactly because it's a plugin, allowing for a user to have a single profile/login within the site. Am I fundamentally misunderstanding this process?

Apologize for the confusion and truly appreciate your insights!

Ray

• Tyler Postle

Hey Ray,

Thanks for the detailed reply!

After activating the Registration integration option inside the BuddyPress add-on, I selected "Memberships" as the Register page. Now I get a warning that says

You can change the Membership 2 > Settings "Membership" page to a different page to avoid the error. It actually won't use that page anymore in the registration process unless you link to it directly somewhere on your site.

I guess I'm wondering why I would use the BuddyPress registration page in the first place, instead of your Membership 2 registration page?

Right, you don't actually have to use the BuddyPress registration page if you don't want too. The main reason you might want too is because then you can add additional profile fields to the registration. If you're good with the default M2 fields then you can just stick with that :slight_smile:

So should I set up two types of memberships or can I only "create 1 of them," and if so, which one?

My mistake, I worded that poorly. You can only create 1 for each of them. So you can have 1 "default" membership and 1 "guest" membership. Again, this is just to make it easier to control what visitors who don't have any other membership will see on your site.

RIght now I just want to offer all content free to all visitors and users. Should I just deactivate Membership 2 until we're ready to protect and/or charge for content?

You can leave it active and create a guest and default membership but just not protect anything - then everything will be available to everyone and you will have those 2 options already setup for when you do end up wanting to protect some content.

And we were only looking at BuddyPress for the extended profiles for now (not setting up an internal social network) so should we deactivate that as well until we're ready?

You can actually deactivate all the components of BuddyPress except the "extended profiles" - as seen in my screenshot. So that might be an easier way for you to go - then you still have it active and ready to go for when you do need it.

Concerned about multiple users having to set up multiple accounts within the system based upon whether or not they're buying something. The reason we went with WooCommerce (as opposed to a separate OpenCart site, for example) is exactly because it's a plugin, allowing for a user to have a single profile/login within the site. Am I fundamentally misunderstanding this process?

They will be able to use the same user account throughout your site :slight_smile: so they won't need to create multiple accounts. They can sign up for a membership with M2 and buy a product through WooCommerce with the same account.

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.