Can WP Smush Pro be run without WPMU DEV Dashboard?

We have just started getting a "Your server had a problem connecting to WPMU DEV: "403 Forbidden" Please try again.
If this problem continues, please contact your host and ask:
"Is php on my server properly configured to be able to contact https://premium.wpmudev.org/wdp-un.php with a GET HTTP request via fsockopen or CURL?"" message on a site, so is there a way to run WP Smush Pro without the Dashboard logged in to our account?

• Braydan Willrath

WPMUDev Guys, I realise that you need to limit who can access pro features that use your servers, but why must we install a plugin that constantly hounds us for updates etc just to access 1 feature.

I'm hesitant to put the WPMUDev Dashboard plugin on one of my multisites because you don't have access to upgrade core etc (its all done via GIT and permissions are tightly controlled), and I don't like that other admins have access to my WPMUDev account through the dashboard.

Surely it wouldn't be hard for you guys to build a plugin that still requires us to "Login" to access the API Features, but doesn't give any admin full access to our WPMUDev account, and only allows those certain plugins that need API Access, to have it.

I'd imagine you'd just have to export a few lines of code from the original plugin, would take 30 seconds.

Please work something out, We really need it.

• Bojan Radonic

Hey @Braydan Willrath,

Hope you're well today :slight_smile:

but why must we install a plugin that constantly hounds us for updates etc just to access 1 feature.

I don't really see this as a bad feature to have, having plugins up to date is really important and you should update plugins that you're using. We're not forcing you to update in any way though so it's up to you.

I'm hesitant to put the WPMUDev Dashboard plugin on one of my multisites because you don't have access to upgrade core etc (its all done via GIT and permissions are tightly controlled), and I don't like that other admins have access to my WPMUDev account through the dashboard.

Core upgrade is not something we should control which is why you can't update it via our Dashboard plugin, you can still update the core outside WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin.

Related to full access to admin this is only available once you grant access from WPMU DEV Dashboard settings and even when you do that the access is only temporary and available only for staff members. We use this as a handy tool on the forum when our users want's us to check their site backend for what ever reason. Please note that we by all means do not have access to your site unless you grant us access and that there is a log where you can see which staff member did access your site and when, this is a great tool so we can avoid our members posting admin credentials in emails or on the forum.

Surely it wouldn't be hard for you guys to build a plugin that still requires us to "Login" to access the API Features, but doesn't give any admin full access to our WPMUDev account, and only allows those certain plugins that need API Access, to have it.

Creating another plugin with the same purpose as the plugin we already have wouldn't make much sense but I understand what you're trying to say and I'll definitely pass your feedback to our developers.

Thank you for posting, if you have additional questions please open new thread on the forum so we don't spam this one :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there @galfanodesign,

If I installed a plugin (i.e. WP-Smush Pro), other admins would have access to my WPMU account, correct

That's actually not correct, Dashboard plugin and the link in admin are by default available only for the admin who installs the plugin. You can of course add more admins who will be able to see if you choose so, by using the following option see screenshot.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Bojan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.