Can you add a plugin to one subdomain only?

Hi. If I add a plugin via Network Admin, I can activate it for the entire multisite. Is there a way to add a plugin for one specific subdomain and exclude the others?

• Kingdom Studios
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey @Celeste,

If you want to only install it on one subdomain, just disable the plugin on the network. At that point, you will see the plugin available for activation on the subdomain. Activate it there, in the subdomain plugin area.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Regards,

Martin

• Celeste
    • Flash Drive

Martin, thanks. That makes perfect sense, but I should have been more clear. I would like the plugin to show up as an option for a specific subdomain. It sounds like what you're saying is that as long as it was installed via Network Admin dashboard, it will still be available as an option to activate on all subdomains.

I'm just thinking ahead to the future, in case I want a membership type multisite, that some members will have privileges to use certain plugins that other members won't, depending on membership level.

I hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

KInd regards,
    Celeste

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there,

Looks like Martins sorting you out here. :slight_smile:

If you did want to go the membership route then another option is Pro Sites:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

That allows you to charge for premium themes, plugins, more space and other features. You can also enable plugins on specific sites through the sites admin area. :slight_smile:

It sounds like what you're saying is that as long as it was installed via Network Admin dashboard, it will still be available as an option to activate on all subdomains.

No, plugins are not like themes.

When you network activate a plugin it will work throughout the network. Depending on the plugin and it's features will vary what it does on each site.

If a plugin is network activated then it can't be turned off on sub sites. It's on always.

Some plugins can only be network activated, like Pro Sites for example. Some plugins when network activated are only available in the network area, again depends on it's purpose and functionality.

If it's not network activated, and it's designed to work on sub sites then members will be able to activate it unless you used something like Pro Sites to stop them.

Pretty plugins that Martin Mentioned will tidy it up for you. Both are pretty cool plugins and worth a look in to see how they might suit your needs. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Celeste
    • Flash Drive

Thank you, both of you.

Martin, I think the Pretty Plugins will work if the number of subdomains are limited, but Timothy's suggestion to use the Pro Sites plugin has a much greater range of options.

Timothy, I'm a newbie at this and don't intend to create an extensive membership site for quite some time, but it's good to know that there's a plugin which can handle up to a million member sites :slight_smile:

KInd regards,
    Celeste

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.