Can you add fields to Courses and Units?

How can you add custom fields to Courses and/or Units?
This plugin seems so refined and polished and is really great. I would like to add things like "runtime" and "attention time", possibly average and +/- fields. I know that seems a little project managy though but I wonder if you can add any fields to either. thank you!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Aurelio,

Hope you're enjoying the start of your weekend!

This would require some development knowledge as you would need to create the custom fields, which you could use CustomPress to do, then implement them into the templates :slight_smile:

The nice thing about CustomPress is that it will give you the code you need to implement the fields in the templates.

With that said, I think this would be an awesome feature to integrate into the plugin options themselves. I am going to flag this as a feature request, so the developer will be notified and can add it to their list.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Let us know if you have any further questions Aurelio :slight_smile: have a great weekend.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Aurelio
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Awesome. I hope your weekend's off to a great start too Tyler!
    Thank you so much. I'll play around with CustomPress for now to possibly tinker with the templates and look forward to any possible feature additions!

• Cagle Webmaster
    • The Incredible Code Injector

+1 For this feature. I'm working on a workaround to it not being there myself.

I use CustomPress as well but the Custom Post Types for Courses and Units don't show up in CustomPress. Is there a way to let them manage these Post Types so that custom fields can be added through them?

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there, Cagle!

Actually, even though courses aren't listed as a custom post type, you can still apply custom fields to that post type.

Navigate to CustomPress>Custom Fields, and look in the boxes on the right. (Like my screenshot)
    Those allow you to apply the custom field you create to apply the the Course custom post type. : )

• Danny Albeck
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello @Michelle Shull,

I was directed to this thread for assistance in adding custom fields to the courses section. I installed Custom Press (Advanced Custom Fields wasn't working). I am trying to add a text field to the course editor process so that I can designate a field for the location of the course (they are held at physical locations).

So, I installed custompress and created a custom field and set the post type for "course" but I do not see the field anywhere while creating / editing a course.

Any help would be great.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Danny,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

I was unable to add in a custom field as well, likely because CoursePress' course post type is highly customized.

I'll call in SLS(coding epxerts) on this so we can get their feedback on the situation :slight_smile: they will have a better idea about how much work will be involved here.

In the meantime, let us know if you have any further question!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hi Everybody,

Although both courses and units are valid Custom Post Types there is no easy way of adding custom fields to them. As Tyler said they are highly customized and are very different from normal posts/pages. The only alternative is by modifying the core at multiple places and this is not recommended because

1) It will definitely break on updates, even on minor ones.
    2) Its a huge effort to repeat these changes each time.
    3) Any solution within the current framework will not be scalable and could cause stability issues with base plugin

I checked with the Lead Developer who also confirmed that there is no easy way of currently doing this. He did mention that this is being worked on a feature request. I can't give an ETA though.

Regards
    Jude

• Valentijn L
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Still no ETA? Or same answer as of version 2.0 ?
    In my case a mail copy towards the teacher/instructor as a backup would be helpful meanwhile!
    So updates remarks on assessments... That should be a minor change in the code?
    Somebody can tip me on this?
    Valentijn

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.