Can you change the primary domain name on Multisite after setup

Hi guys. So I finally got my wp-config.php file to transfer right (darn that "easy to forget" binary transfer option on FTP). I'm moving on to setting up sub-domains for multisite. Only thing is the domain I want for my main network is being hosted on another site and I need to move it over. Due to lots of files and other things, this might take awhile.

My question is...if I set up my sub-domains to: sub1.olddomain.com, can I later switch it to the new domain without many issues? Thought I'd better ask before I proceed.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

So you want to set up a multisite, then you want to change the domain of the main site in the multisite?

Is that what you're asking?

Or you want to create a multisite and then move another single site into one of the subsites?

I'm not sure I fully understood and I read a few times, so I just wanted to check to be sure.

Thanks.

• esavvides
    • Flash Drive

Sorry if I was unclear,but yes, the first one. I am about to hit the "install" button on the Network Setup under Tools and just wanted to be sure if my main domain is now Elizalit.com that I can change that to Elizabethnet.com after I install the Network and set up my subdomains. I found a tutorial that says you can and walks you through it. It's fairly simple. I just didn't want to do something you can't change later like the subdomains and directories. Thanks for trying to help. Nice to know you guys are here.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Ya, that is possible, I've even done it before. But it's not something which is always straightforward.

I don't know what tutorial you've seen but the basic process is really finding the domain and replacing it with the new one, clearing/removing any cache.

A very simplistic overview I know, It's not complicated but as I mentioned it's not always straightforward and can be just a little problematic sometimes if something is missed.

If you're good with the tutorial then that's fine, if you get stuck with something specific then please let me know.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.