Can you change the primary domain name on Multisite after setup

Hi guys. So I finally got my wp-config.php file to transfer right (darn that “easy to forget” binary transfer option on FTP). I’m moving on to setting up sub-domains for multisite. Only thing is the domain I want for my main network is being hosted on another site and I need to move it over. Due to lots of files and other things, this might take awhile.

My question is…if I set up my sub-domains to: sub1.olddomain.com, can I later switch it to the new domain without many issues? Thought I’d better ask before I proceed.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

So you want to set up a multisite, then you want to change the domain of the main site in the multisite?

Is that what you’re asking?

Or you want to create a multisite and then move another single site into one of the subsites?

I’m not sure I fully understood and I read a few times, so I just wanted to check to be sure.

Thanks.

• esavvides
    • Flash Drive

Sorry if I was unclear,but yes, the first one. I am about to hit the “install” button on the Network Setup under Tools and just wanted to be sure if my main domain is now Elizalit.com that I can change that to Elizabethnet.com after I install the Network and set up my subdomains. I found a tutorial that says you can and walks you through it. It’s fairly simple. I just didn’t want to do something you can’t change later like the subdomains and directories. Thanks for trying to help. Nice to know you guys are here.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Ya, that is possible, I’ve even done it before. But it’s not something which is always straightforward.

I don’t know what tutorial you’ve seen but the basic process is really finding the domain and replacing it with the new one, clearing/removing any cache.

A very simplistic overview I know, It’s not complicated but as I mentioned it’s not always straightforward and can be just a little problematic sometimes if something is missed.

If you’re good with the tutorial then that’s fine, if you get stuck with something specific then please let me know.

Take care.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hello, hope you’re well!

How’s things going now, we haven’t heard from you in a short while and as such he thread become marked as “Resolved”.

If you’re still in need any help then please feel free to reopen or create a new thread as needed for any issues.

Cheers.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.