Can you help clarify how memberships work?

We need the following memberships:

One time (30 days for $5.99)
- This is currently an issue, whenever we test setting up a 1 time membership paid with PayPal, it gets submitted to PayPal as a recurring. PayPal then sends the tester a cancellation for the recurring (since it’s not actually recurring). The tester is charged properly & has access, but the emails/cancellation are confusing. Should simply be submitted as a 1 time charge, like if you’re buying a book off Amazon.

**XXX signed up for & paid for a one time membership (no coupon code) to help us with testing. AAA later returned home & refunded XXX the $5.99 that she paid through PayPal. Now, XXX can not access beta. As we do not fully know how to use Membership yet, I’ve just been playing around to try to figure out how to reactivate her. I can not figure it out. In billing, it says “denied” under status. Is this bc AAA returned her money? If so, that’s great that it’s so linked to PayPal. However, we need to know how to reactivate someone. When I go into her name, it shows she would still have access & her “status” says active. But this is not the case.
**I figured out how to fix this myself by changing “status” in the invoice itself. We still need to find out when/how/why this happened.
**My fix did not work- Billing shows she’s active after I changed her to paid. She still can NOT get in.
**I manually changed her password which worked & she now has access. We still need to find out how/why this happened. And why did I need to change her password?

• KOC

- I signed up for a 1 time membership with PayPal with the coupon code “TTT”. I received SIX emails, 1 was the recurring transaction cancellation from PayPal I described to you yesterday that XXX received (she did not use the test coupon code), which needs to be fixed. Having logged back in as an admin, my new test account does not show up in billing. It shows up in “draft”. Why is this?

Recurring ($5.99 every 30 days, until member or we cancel)
    - It has to actually charge again automatically, other test memberships have not worked in this regard.

For additional testing:
    2 day (2 days for $1)
    2 day recurring ($1 every 2 days, until member or we cancel)
    ** This is currently not working. It ends the membership & sends the tester multiple emails to re-sign back up. Even though the CC info was provided before check out.

Coupon/promo (separate from people we are giving completely free memberships to):
    We need the ability to have members sign up for a promo OR sign up for a 1 time/recurring & enter a coupon code. CC/PayPal info should be required, and it needs to convert to that paid amount upon end of promo period. The user would agree to terms prior to selecting the coupon/promo or whatever you want to cal it.

Currently, the member gets locked out & is asked to re sign back up & make a payment, even if the CC info was provided. What are our options to achieve the goal of not confusing our members or making them do extra work? For example: We have many members on our current site that we will be giving codes to to account for what they have already paid when we launch beta site. They already need to sign back up, this is our way of accounting for already paid time. So if they get 2 weeks comped & give their CC info (or PayPal), the system should make this seamless.

We also need the ability to change memberships easily without notifications being sent to members as well a continuous flow of payment without cancelling one order to go to another.

Please advise as soon as possible.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi @KOC,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

I have tried access your site in order to check your current plugin setup in order to understand this better but I keep getting invalid access token when trying to use support access, this is usually resolved by simply revoking the access and then granting it again.

- This is currently an issue, whenever we test setting up a 1 time membership paid with PayPal, it gets submitted to PayPal as a recurring. PayPal then sends the tester a cancellation for the recurring (since it’s not actually recurring). The tester is charged properly & has access, but the emails/cancellation are confusing. Should simply be submitted as a 1 time charge, like if you’re buying a book off Amazon.

Since I can't see your settings I couldn't have a closer look at this.
    Can you go to your membership and make sure you have "One payment for finit access" option selected.
    Also, what emails you have set under Membership 2 > Settings > Automated Email Responses tab?
    You can set which emails are sent or customize them per membership by going to Membership 2 > Memberships > YOUR MEMBERSHIP > Automated Email Responses.
    From there you should be able to choose which emails you want sent to your users.

**XXX signed up for & paid for a one time membership (no coupon code) to help us with testing. AAA later returned home & refunded XXX the $5.99 that she paid through PayPal. Now, XXX can not access beta.

Because refund was issued the status was showing as Denied for that user and thus revoked his access.

**I figured out how to fix this myself by changing “status” in the invoice itself. We still need to find out when/how/why this happened.
    **My fix did not work- Billing shows she’s active after I changed her to paid. She still can NOT get in.
    **I manually changed her password which worked & she now has access. We still need to find out how/why this happened. And why did I need to change her password?

This part actually sounds strange and changing the password shouldn't impact membership status in any way, I would like to do some further testing once I'm able to access your site.

- I signed up for a 1 time membership with PayPal with the coupon code “TTT”. I received SIX emails, 1 was the recurring transaction cancellation from PayPal I described to you yesterday that XXX received (she did not use the test coupon code), which needs to be fixed. Having logged back in as an admin, my new test account does not show up in billing. It shows up in “draft”. Why is this?

I'm not sure I understand this part completely, could you provide me with some additional steps so I can try replicating this on your end once access is working?

Recurring ($5.99 every 30 days, until member or we cancel)
    - It has to actually charge again automatically, other test memberships have not worked in this regard.

Which gateway you are using, with PayPal Single users will need to confirm each new payment, if you need to automatically bill your users you should use PayPal Standard gateway.

For additional testing:
    2 day (2 days for $1)
    2 day recurring ($1 every 2 days, until member or we cancel)
    ** This is currently not working. It ends the membership & sends the tester multiple emails to re-sign back up. Even though the CC info was provided before check out.

This could also be related to payment gateway as mentioned above.

Coupon/promo (separate from people we are giving completely free memberships to):
    We need the ability to have members sign up for a promo OR sign up for a 1 time/recurring & enter a coupon code. CC/PayPal info should be required, and it needs to convert to that paid amount upon end of promo period. The user would agree to terms prior to selecting the coupon/promo or whatever you want to cal it.

Getting PayPal info before the payment is not something currently possible with M2 but we had few request for this and the option for this has been added to M2 to do list but I can't give you any ETA on when this will be implemented.
    Currently the invoice is created that is sent to user after his trial period has ended.

We also need the ability to change memberships easily without notifications being sent to members

Email notifications should depend on the Automated email messages you have set for your memberships.

as well a continuous flow of payment without cancelling one order to go to another.

Are you looking to set membership to change to different membership after first one expires or you want users to be able to switch between memberships themselves?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• KOC

Have revoked and granted access again. Please advise further pending investigation of setup.

We don't only use Paypal we use authorize.net. In both cases we would like the ability to set up discounted trials, charge the subscriber and have it automatically go into the full price subscription without having the subscriber sign up again or get a notification that the first leg of their subscription has been canceled.
    This workflow does not make sense.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi KOC,

Apologies for the delay here, the ticket count is unusually high this week and we are doing our best to get to everyone as soon as possible.

I checked your site but you're already on live PayPal gateway so I was unable to actually perform any payment related tests, is it ok if I temporary switch to sandbox while testing this?

We don't only use Paypal we use authorize.net. In both cases we would like the ability to set up discounted trials, charge the subscriber and have it automatically go into the full price subscription without having the subscriber sign up again or get a notification that the first leg of their subscription has been canceled.

We are looking into making paid membership available as an fall back membership, currently only free membership can be set as the fall back membership.
    This will however still require users to confirm their new payment.

Also, since support access lasts only for 72 hours can you make sure it's open until we finish with testing on your site.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.