Can you help me with this Fatal Error?

Hello,
I'm rebuilding my current website using the Spirit Theme. I installed CalPress Pro calendar plug-in recommended by WPMU Dev (see https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/best-wordpress-event-and-calendars-plugins-reviewed/); however, I'm now unable to access my Dashboard. Instead when I enter the following in my browser "http://wsbydesign.com.wsbydesign.com/wp-admin/" I receive the following error message:
Fatal error: Class 'WP_Screen' not found in /home4/kimcohen/public_html/wsbydesign.com/wp-content/plugins/calpress-pro/app/helper/class-calp-attends-list-table-helper.php on line 59
I realize that it's stating that the WP_Screen can't be found, but exactly what do I need to do to correct this. I've not been able to connect with CalPress Pro. It appears I'm not alone and many others who purchased the plug-in are experiencing the same frustrations in not obtaining support. I'd uninstall the plug-in completely, but I'm unsure how to do that since I'm totally locked out from my dashboard. I've attached a copy of the file in question for your review.
I'm hoping you'll be able to help me resolve this issue so I can continue working on my site.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Kimberly

• Milan

Hello @Kimberly Cohen,

Sorry to hear that you are facing this problem.

How error you've mentioned can be fixed, that can only be answered well by plugin developer, I suggest you contact theme for solution as they are very well aware about their product.

Meanwhile would you please follow below steps to temporarily disable plugin so that you can access your site at least. ?

#1) Login via ftp credentials.
    #2) Navigate to /wp-content/plugins/
    #3) Rename folder calpress-event-calendar to something like calpress-event-calendar-disable
    #4) Try to Access you site now. Can you ?

Let me know how it went..

Cheers!
    Milann.

• Kimberly Cohen

Hi Milan,

Thank you for responding to me so quickly. As shared in my initial request, I am unable to reach the CalPress Pro developers. They are being totally unresponsive to all of their subscribers. This can be confirmed by online comments starting over 1 year ago. It's unfortunate because when the plug-in works, it's fantastic! And, when there was support, they were very good! It's a very sad and frustrating situation.

Thank you for your instructions regarding renaming the CalPress Pro folder. I gained access through my cPanel. Unfortunately, the system would not allow me to rename the plug-in folder, but I was able to rename the actual PHP file within the folder.

I'm now able to access the WP Dashboard, but I'm unable to delete the CalPress Pro plug-in. I've granted you access so you can review the situation. Any additional feedback you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
    Kimberly

• Milan

Hello @Kimberly Cohen,

I hope you are having a good day and sorry for being late here.

I found one workaround for you, Would you please test it first ?

Go to public_html/wsbydesign.com/wp-content/plugins/calpress-pro/app/helper/class-calp-attends-list-table-helper.php file. Replace line no 59 with this,

require_once(ABSPATH . '/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-screen.php');

Save that file, then rename plugin's main file ( wp-content/plugins/calpress-pro/calpress-pro.php ) to its original name which is calpress-pro.php through cPanel or ftp.

Test this one and let me know how it goes for you. :slight_smile:

Cheers!
    Milan.

• Kimberly Cohen

Hi Milan,
    I apologize for taking so long to respond to your direction. I just had some health issues and have been out of commission for a few days.

Thank you for the new code. What exactly does it do? I updated the file as directed and uploaded it; then I renamed the "deactivated" file back to "calpress-pro.php". After that, I activated the Calpress-Pro plug-in through my dashboard, and everything appears to be working. I've not tried to create an event yet, but at least it appears that if the plug-in doesn't work as expected, I'll be able to delete it this time from the dashboard.

I look forward to learning from you more! And appreciate all that you have done.

Sincerely,
    Kimberly

• Milan

Hello @Kimberly Cohen,

I hope you are well today. :slight_smile: And of-course everyone must consider their health first. :slight_smile:

So let me get back to your questions first. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the new code. What exactly does it do?

Actually cal pro uses older reference of wordpress class "wp-screen". Basically that file which contains that class code has been renamed to "class-wp-screen.php" from "wp-screen.php" so if plugin uses older name of file to include it for further processing, it will trigger fatal error.

New code actually changes the statement from where cal press pro loads that class so that it can reference right file. :slight_smile:

About renaming file back to its original name.

Basically when you try to delete plugin, word-press finds reference to its main file which name were registered in database when plugin first activated. So if you would have renamed that file then wordpress will not be able to delete plugin as it will get confused what to delete first. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Cheers!
    Milan.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.