Can you import custom types of another custom plugin

Hi,

I worked on types. I exported my work. Now I want to import but the import freezes the site? How do I solve this issue

• Michelle

Hi.

I tried for 6 hours to solve this issue. I enabled the cp export/import after a huge struggle. You might want to make the instructions a little clearer. Pasting the code with just after the group of 'define' solved it. Then the file I exported, I tried copying and pasting. As soon as the copied items would show in the box, the whole site would freeze. Then I tried the wp normal import. Had to download the wp import plugin. It worked just fine. I must add that the cities/towns I had to change to cities_towns. Your types creation don't allow for anything else. The rest of the stuff it picked up easily after creating the post types. Now the next problem I need to solve. In types (toolsets) there is a function for child/parent. I don't see it. The different types are linked, but currently they are not linked. The parent just gives me the option to link within the specific type. For eg. Provinces -Mphumalang has towns and these towns have subburbs. In types you create the type. Then in the type for e.g., province you create a province (KZN), then if you open one of the provinces, at the bottom it has a button that lets you add the town directly. The same is true for the town. When you create a town. At the bottom it has the button that says add the suburb. Very handy, but I can't find it anywhere in yours. I decided to go with mudev because all the plugins I need is under one roof. I don't have to run around finding plugins that work together. When I have an issue, I just contact you and you can have a look. Could you please have a look and let me know. I am really anxious to get my website going as this is going to be my lively hood.

Ps: Thanks for replying. I appreciate it very much.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Michelle,

Sorry to hear that you had such issues with export/import, I'm not sure what caused this on your end since I now tested it on my own installations and didn't had any issues with this.

In types (toolsets) there is a function for child/parent. I don't see it. The different types are linked, but currently they are not linked. The parent just gives me the option to link within the specific type. For eg. Provinces -Mphumalang has towns and these towns have subburbs. In types you create the type. Then in the type for e.g., province you create a province (KZN), then if you open one of the provinces, at the bottom it has a button that lets you add the town directly. The same is true for the town. When you create a town. At the bottom it has the button that says add the suburb. Very handy, but I can't find it anywhere in yours.

I'm sorry but I don't understand this part of your question, I'm not sure where are you referring to our plugin, some other plugin you used or child theme.
    Is this all related to another plugin option and you are looking for similar option in CustomPress?

Please advise with some additional help and I'll be happy to assist you with this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Michelle

Hi.
    Let me see if I can simplify it.
    1. When I created my post types (country, province, city/town and suburbs), you could create what you need directly.
    For example:
    Province - Gauteng
    City - Centurion
    Suburb - Wierdapark
    2. When I openend Gauteng. At the bottom their was an area that allowed you to add the cities of that province.
    3. When you added all the cities. Then you go to the city. At the bottom there was an area that would allow you to create the suburbs directly. Very little linking was required.

Now I want to know is how do I link the parent and child. When I want to link them. Only the items created in the specific type is available.

For example
    Provinces
    The parent area will only allow me to link one of the provinces with another or itself. There is no option to link the province with the city and the city with the town.

I have tried different setting.
    I hope this makes more sense.

Regards
    Michelle

• Milan

Hello @dekkermichelle1,

I hope you are well today. :slight_smile:

Actually we are not supporting parent child relationships out of box with CoursePress. But you mentioned that there was city selection box in your "Province" post type. Can you tell me with which plugin you were able to manage that ? In past I've seen some of our member has set up parent child relationships between multiple posts with the help of https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-custom-fields/ plugin. So can you tell me bit about how you managed to achieve that ?

Cheers,
    Milan

• Michelle

Hi Milan,

I have worked with toolset types or just types as it is know on the wp plugin site. I added their relationship file. I opened another post that was moved to the features and feedback section. I added this file and then discovered a cool plugin. Post 2 post. The developer left Wordpress and on his site he is looking to hand the plug in over. This plugin not only links posts, but pages and users as well. It uses the many to many functions. I am struggling to get the code to work. You are suppose to paste it into your function file of your theme. I attached the instructions as well

Michelle

• Milan

Hello @dekkermichelle1,

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

If I am not wrong you are creating connection between two post types with https://wordpress.org/plugins/posts-to-posts/ plugin right ?

If yes then I've tested with Custompress and its successfully creating connection between custom post types. Please see attached screenshot. I've created connection between cars( one of my custom post type which I've created with CustomPress ) and pages.

Can you please add this snippet to your active theme's functions.php file or better in its child theme's functions.php file to prevent changes lost during theme update.

function my_connection_types() {
        p2p_register_connection_type( array(
            'name' => 'province_to_cities',
            'from' => 'city_town',
            'to' => 'province'
        ) );

p2p_register_connection_type( array(
            'name' => 'cities_to_suburb',
            'from' => 'suburb',
            'to' => 'city_town'
        ) );
    }
    add_action( 'p2p_init', 'my_connection_types' );

Let me know if this fixes your issue or not. If this doesn't fix your issue, then would you be able to send in your FTP and wp-admin credentials so I could take a look?

You can send the info through our private contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Milan Savaliya"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Once we have this information then I can debug the issue further

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Milan

• Michelle

Hi Milan,

Thanks. I will give it a try. There is just one other thing. This guy is not doing any updates for this plugin any more. For now it will solve my problem as I also want to connect my pages. The site I am creating is very complexed. For a newbie, it is extremely frustrating. Thanks for all your help and support. I will create a theme function file. Then add your snippet of code and see if the connection is back.

Regards,

Michelle

• Milan

Hello @dekkermichelle1,

Hope you are doing well. :slight_smile:

Yes you are right, plugin developer hasn't updated plugin since last 5 months. But that's not very long timespam. Plugin should not cause you any error as its working very smooth on my sandbox installation and it also supports latest wordpress version. We only need to worry about plugin's update when plugin doesn't get updated in 2 years or more. Mostly wordpress plugin page will dispaly you message indicating plugin is not advisable to use if it doesn't get updated in 2 years. So for now you can use this plugin without any issue.

Just in case if you face any issue while using it please let me know and I will give you appropriate solutions with that. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Michelle

Thanks Milan,

Someone flag one of my posts and said they have passed the files I provided to a developer. I hope so. I really like the idea of working with one company. It makes the admin on my side easy. Too many password and stuff can become a huge schelp. Not to mention the cost involved. This saves me close to $2000 on quick calculation. Multiply that by 15/6 according to the dollar rand value and it is an arm and a leg in cost.
      Have a great week end.

Michelle
      Ps: I send you an email via your info steps. Just can't get the plugin to work. :slight_frown:

• Milan

Hello @dekkermichelle1,

Dear member somehow I am not able to use your host username to connect to your hosting panel. It is showing me "Connection Timed out Report" can you please make double sure that your have included right host username ? If you are not sure then you can contact your hosting provider to know your host username. Please send us your host username and we will move forward with this. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Milan

Hello @dekkermichelle1,

Actually code which I've supplied to you was right but in your child theme you have set your functions.php file name as function.php file. I've just changed that to functions.php and extracted some of the display shortcode to another file named "connection_dispaly.php" file.

It is now showing all the connections between custom post types. Please let me know if there is anything else in which I can help you with. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Michelle

Hi Milan,

You are a star. I should learn to tripple check my typing. My mind is faster than my fingers. Thanks for all your help. I am using layers as I find upfront very difficult to design with. Buttons just won't stay where I place them. Also the photos can only be resized sideways, not from every angle. I really like your theme framework, but it is not for people starting out. Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Michelle

• Milan

Hello @dekkermichelle1,

That error can easily get fixed by replacing line,

include_once 'connection_display.php';

with this one

include_once include_once get_stylesheet_directory() .  '/connection_display.php';

But I can see that you are creating Child theme of upfront ? If yes then it is at all not advisable by our developers. This may results in unexpected behavior of Upfront theme. So its my suggestion to you that please don't create child theme of Upfront to append code for creating connection between your posts types. Rather use this nice plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/code-snippets/ to inject such code snippet to your sites. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps you please let us know if there is anything else in which you need our help in context of your this issue, if context is different please create new thread for it. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Milan

Hello Michelle,

Which code you are talking about ? You intention is towards Upfront theme or custom one which you've created. ? If I am not wrong you are referring code block which you've written to display connections between posts types right ? If this is the case then my dear Michelle best advice I can give here is to create some dummy shortcode and place it in Code Snippet plugin. Later on you can use shortcode to display connections.

For more information on wordpress shortcode mechanism please visit this page,
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Shortcode

I hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Milan

Hello @dekkermichelle1.

Hope you are enjoying our communication.! :slight_smile:

This is very common error which can easily fixed by adding this bit of code in your wp-config.php file. You can find wp-config.php file in your website's root folder.

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '96M' );

After adding above line, if you still get error please replace that line with this one.

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

I hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Milan

Hello @dekkermichelle1,

Thanks for your wishes. :slight_smile: I also hope you enjoy this weekend fully. :slight_smile:

I think we have been dealt with this error in before. Changes were not reflecting on your site due to wrong name of "functions.php" file. So can you please confirm that it is not the issue anymore ? It will be too good if you can just ensure that its loading correct files by including something like this in your theme templates files ( i.e functions.php ),

die( 'This is loading well' );

Also on which child theme you are working on ? is it child theme of Upfront or some other third party theme ? Please advice. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Michelle

Hi Milan,

I am really sorry bugging you like this. I am working on an upfront theme. I put the code suggested for theme creation in my php file. No templates are showing. Except one I tried to create. I also researched the topic on the net. Currently you can't create any templates. You also have to use the parent theme's templates to keep the changes other wise it just saves as an element. I have looked at different code, even tried the code in the other theme functions files to get the templates, but no joy. Please advise.

Regards,

Michelle

Ps: the code you gave me to solve the issue for space worked like a bomb. I used the one with 250m.

• Milan

Hello @dekkermichelle1,

Hope you are doing well and its okay that you have to ask us for your issues. :slight_smile: We don't have any issue with that. Please feel free to ask us for your issues and follow what we say you to follow. That will be great and quick in solving your issue. :slight_smile:

Now I want to conclude some things first to clarify your issue a bit more.

#1) Die code is giving you blank page with wording on it, that means theme template files are working fine.
    #2) You have not added p2p code into snippet plugin which I've suggested. If you are facing any issue with that please let me know.
    #3) Template are not working.

Now above 2 points are clear and you can remove "die" code from theme template file. But we need to clarify ourselves for 3rd point. Could you please tell me what you are referring with word "templates" ? Are you referring to WordPress page templates or Upfront provided page templates ?

If you are referring wordpress page template with word "template" then its very straight forward process of creating wordpress page template and you can know better in these articles about that. :slight_smile:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/creating-custom-page-templates-in-wordpress/
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-themes/how-to-create-a-custom-page-in-wordpress/

And if you are attempting to create Upfront page templates then it is something which is not possible right now. We are on our way to design and launch page builder for that but I won't be able to give you any ETA on this. So new page template creation for upfront theme is not something which is possible right now.

Kind Regards,
    Milan

• Michelle

Good morning Milan,

Thanks for replying. Sorry I am only getting back now. Didn't see your reply. That is a real releave to hear that it is ok to ask, it just feels like a never ending story with the issues I am having.
    Now to answer your q

1. Yes, I have done it and then removed the 'die'.
    2. I have started adding p2p code. It did give me a white screen, but luckily I could add a piece of code that helps prevent error coding from being published. So I am going to wait with the p2p code just a little longer. It is still in the other child theme for bbhrrs. It is fascinating, though.
    3. Ugh, I am so frustrated. I used the code that was given to create a child theme. I put it into the functions.php. It gives me the design tools and an empty 'canvas'. Designing goes great. Saving is great. Displaying not so great. The image is there. The navigational text is there. No colors are saved and no footer. No templates are available either from the parent theme. I have the default template options only. As I mentioned. I have tried to create a template as according to the tutorials available on the net. I even check the other themes to see how they have done it. I also added that code to no avail. Still no templates. :slight_frown:

I have copied one of the parent templates into the child theme as is custom practice according to my knowledge, if you want to add to or change a specific template. It doesn't show. Please let me know what steps to follow. I have also opened a support ticket to see if anyone else is having the same problem and if there is solutions.

It is strange that upfront calls their templates layouts. I have read those tutorials as well and tried them, but it won't give you the upfront design tools. Hey, this gives me an idea. What if you create and blank page template. Then somehow enque upfront's design tools into it. Do you think it might work? I have also checked how the other child themes did there templates. They copied the header and footer into a 'layouts' folder. Maybe I should try that. What do you think? There is also a functions about adding a region in one of the parent templates. The single.php file to be exact. I know they say that at this stage there is no way to create a template for upfront from scratch, but if there is one thing I have learnt, is that it is usually the simplest answer that get the job done. If I only knew more about coding to try the template thing, but at this stage I am working on other peoples code.

Regards,

Michelle

• Milan

Hello Michelle,

I used the code that was given to create a child theme. I put it into the functions.php. It gives me the design tools and an empty 'canvas'. Designing goes great. Saving is great. Displaying not so great. The image is there. The navigational text is there. No colors are saved and no footer. No templates are available either from the parent theme. I have the default template options only. As I mentioned. I have tried to create a template as according to the tutorials available on the net. I even check the other themes to see how they have done it. I also added that code to no avail. Still no templates.

That's why I told you that creating custom child theme for Upfront won't work fully and have some hidden bugs. So we never actually suggest member to create child theme on top of Upfront. Rather we suggest all our member to use our created child themes https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/

I have copied one of the parent templates into the child theme as is custom practice according to my knowledge, if you want to add to or change a specific template. It doesn't show. Please let me know what steps to follow. I have also opened a support ticket to see if anyone else is having the same problem and if there is solutions.

I can see that you've created separate thread for this issue which is praisable and we usually suggests our member to do so if their issue is completely from different context. Please follow us there and we will have health communication. :slight_smile:

What if you create and blank page template. Then somehow enque upfront's design tools into it. Do you think it might work?

I am sorry but I am not sure what you are referring as design tools. But I've pinged out developer to get best possible way of overriding template. But as far as I know, this is not advisable but as you are insisting I've asked our developer for his valuable view.

Kind Regards,
    Milan

• Michelle

Hi Milan,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the themes. I want to do specific designs and the templates don't allow me to do this. I will have to go with beaver builder. Not because I want to, but because at this stage I don't have a choice. I also don't have the time to learn all the code I need to do what I need. I rely heavily on plugins etc. Hiring people on my budget is not an option. I wish it was, then I would have my life back. I am not complaining, just saying that I have a humongous dream and a micro budget to do it on.

Regards,

Michelle

• Michelle

Hi Milan,

I am not going away. Mudev is stuck with me because of the plugins. I am just going to use beaver builder for the web design aspect and mudev plugins for the functionality. Beaver builder is a page builder. I didn't buy the membership for upfront. I joined for the plugins. Beaver builder has a blank page template. It would have been super cool to use upfront, but I Geus I can have my cake and eat it.

Regards,

Michelle

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Michelle,

I hope you're well today and don't mind me jumping into this conversation!

It's really great to hear that Upfront was not the only reason you joined WPMU DEV and that you like our plugins. Let me assure you that in case you'd need any help with these, we're here to assist you so do not hesitate to start new thread on our support forum anytime you feel like needing our help/advice/assistance.

As for Upfront. I'm not able to give any ETA on this but the "builder" feature is on it's way and will be released with one of the updates. It will then let you design and build your own Upfront themes "from scratch" upon "blank canvas". That's the good news I hope. Like I said, I'm not able to give ETA on this but I hope once that feature is out you'll want to give Upfront another try :slight_smile:

Have a nice day and thank you for being such a loyal WPMU DEV member!

Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there Michelle,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in!

Latest WPMUDEV theme development offered us:
    - Upfront Builder plugin which can be used in conjuction with UF themes to:
    1. edit a child-theme in a file-basis rather than a database-basis which is what can be done via UP default editor for site-specific changes (content wise)
    2. create a new UF child theme from scratch

- Upfront main theme is now supporting some e-commerce compatibility with WooCommerce and MarketPress compatibility. https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/#changelog_all

There's a refurbishing currently considering our documentation pages too, so hopefully it will be easier to catch-up with all these new additions. :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.