Can you remove the character limit for SmartCrawl's meta descriptions?

I'm working on a website that uses 2 languages: English and Spanish.

Each page needs a unique title tag and meta description, but I'm having trouble with the meta descriptions in particular using SmartCrawl. SmartCrawl limits you to 160 characters, but the way the plugins are setup, the English and Spanish page's meta descriptions must be filled out in the same area. Here's a photo to show you what I'm referring to:

The title tag area is fine -- but I may run into issues if the tag is more than 100 characters.

I'm wondering if I can remove the character limit for both sections? Otherwise I won't be able to include a Spanish meta description for each page.

• Rupok

Hi Daniel Edwards,

Thanks for asking. Google shows 150 - 160 characters in the search result description section and truncates the rest. So even if you add more than 160 characters, only the first 160 characters will be shown in the search result. You will get more idea about this from here: http://www.thesempost.com/new-title-description-lengths-for-google-seo/

I'm quoting from that article:

However (important!) Google is still truncating the descriptions for many search results. This means that the overall description is only displaying 150-160 characters total right now, for a usual 2 line snippet. So here is how they currently appear:

Same goes for the Title. The new title length is 70 characters before Google will truncate the title with ellipses (…).

That's the reason SmartCrawl is limiting you in 160 characters for meta description. But SmartCrawl is not limiting you in the Title. It just gives you a warning.

However, if you still want to add more than 160 characters, I can ping our developer regarding this. I believe, he will be able to provide us a way to add more than 160 characters.

Please confirm if you still want this. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Daniel Edwards

Hi Rupok,

Yes, we still want the meta description section to be unlimited characters (and title tag area).

Why?

The site I'm working on is in 2 languages, so the areas in SmartCrawl for the title tag and meta description must be used to for both English and Spanish title tag and meta description.

If you look at the screenshot I included, the title tag area includes the English and Spanish title tag. The same functionality applies to the meta description area, so I need to write 2 meta descriptions in there. But since it limits to 160 characters, I can't even write 1 full meta description because I have to use shortcodes to distinguish between the English and Spanish meta description.

• Nithin

Hi Daniel Edwards,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Thank you for explaining this further, I'm checking this with developer, to see whether we could have a quick workaround for this. Will keep you posted once I get an feedback from the developer regarding this asap.

Please do note that developers work round the clock with many critical issues, and hence have a slow response time. Either myself, or the developer will keep you updated. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Daniel Edwards,

I got an update from the developer, and the good news is that this feature will be implemented in the future release of the plugin. For the time being, please add the following code in your wp-config.php file, which will increase the character limit:
    define('WDS_METADESC_LENGTH_CHAR_COUNT_LIMIT', 500);

You can find the wp-config.php file located in the root directory, ie where /wp-admin, /wp-includes etc folders reside. Please make sure to place the above code, just before the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

I tested the above code in my system, and it's working fine, please do let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.