Cancel button gives an error in Paypal

When I click the Cancel button to cancel a membership in Membership Pro2, I get this error:

The unsubscribe button you clicked is invalid. You can find the status of all subscriptions in 'My preapproved payments'.

How can I fix this so it takes people to the preapproved payments page?

Thank you!
Karen

• Karen
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Luis,

No, I'm using the shortcode provided by the plugin:

[ms-membership-signup membership_cancel_text="Cancel Now"]

I didn't see in any of the set up instructions that I needed to create my own cancellation button in Paypal as opposed to using the one that came with the plugin. Should I do that instead?

Thank you!
    Karen

• Karen
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Luis,

Yes, IPN has been set up with Paypal. It was actually another issue we were having earlier, but it turns out WP SpamShield was blocking it. So now we know it's working because payments come through successfully and members are properly registered on the site (instead of getting stuck at "pending").

I've enabled staff access to the site, so hopefully you can figure out what's wrong.

Thank you!
    Karen

• Luís
    • Support

Hi @Karen,

I hope had been good today!

If it's a recurring membership subscription, user needs to cancel the subscription in his paypal account.

From your site, he can cancel the membership from his account page but still needs to cancel in your paypal account.

Could you enable the support staff access again, to check your settings?

Cheers, Luís

• Karen
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Luis,

Yes, I understand that the user needs to cancel in their Paypal account. The issue is that the Cancel button sends them to the wrong page in Paypal. Paypal gives this error when you click it (posted above):

The unsubscribe button you clicked is invalid. You can find the status of all subscriptions in 'My preapproved payments'.

So when users get to Paypal, they're in the wrong spot. I don't know how I could have set that link wrong since I'm just using the shortcode. If you could explain how I fix that, that would be great.

I'll re-enable staff access asap!

Karen

• Luís
    • Support

Hi @Karen,

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

I need to check you settings in Membership 2 Pro, because it's a weird issue you are getting.

I'm sorry, but seems the staff access time was finished, can you re-enable it again?

Cheers, Luís

• Karen
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Luis,

Sorry for my delayed response as well! I've been busy. Thank you for continuing to look into this.

I've re-enabled staff access until Nov 16. I'll keep checking in to see if you need it re-enabled again after that.

Thank you!
    Karen

• Luís
    • Support

Hi @Karen,

I checked all your settings and it all well.

Unfortunately, this is the way the system works with the unsubscribe from paypal, users need to go to "'My preapproved payments'" and cancel the subscription.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• Karen
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Luis,

So why can't the Membership Pro unsubscribe button just take them straight to the correct page? Would it be better for me to build a Paypal unsubscribe button as you originally linked to above?

I just think it's going to confuse our users a lot if they go to unsubscribe, click the button and then they're just given an error page instead and have to go and find the preapproved payments page. Most of our users aren't familiar with Paypal and aren't tech savvy.

You have to admit that this error renders the Membership Pro unsubscribe button totally useless since it takes them nowhere. I'm a little disappointed that the plugin includes a button that just does not work at all. I'd suggest getting your developers to fix that or if it can't be fixed, put that in the documentation somewhere for those of us using Paypal so we know we can't use it and need to build our own Unsubscribe button using Paypal.

Thank you.
    Karen

• Karen
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Luis,

Well I must apologize. I just created an official Unsubscribe button using Paypal and it still throws the same error. So it looks like Paypal is the one who dropped the ball here.

I'd still recommend putting something in the documentation though, warning plugin users that the Unsubscribe button doesn't work very well at the moment and will give an error.

Thank you!
    Karen

• Luís
    • Support

Hi @Karen,

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

Sorry too, if in my previous reply and don't mention it clearly. Unfortunately this is the way Paypal works.

We hope in the future we can handle better with this question and find a way, if's possible, to overcome this question.

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.