Cancelled members retain their subscription and membership level after expiration period

Hello. I am using Membership 3.5.0.9 with PayPal Standard Payment with automatic renewal. The Mode is Serial. The Period is 3 Days.

I purchased a subscription on March 27th, and then cancelled it on March 28th. I retained my access after cancelling it for the time being. I assume this was fine and that I would retain my membership until March 30th, in which PayPal would try to charge me again and realize that I cancelled the membership and NOT charge me the renewal. Thus I would then immediately be kicked out of that paid membership and placed into the Default Subscription for Registered Users.

When March 30th came around, I was NOT charged a renewal from PayPal, which is great. However, I retained my access. If you go into Membership > All Members and look for user "player03272014", he is still listed as part of the subscription he paid for, and still has the membership level assigned with that paid membership. And for the Level Expires column, the date listed is 2014-03-31 03:06, which was yesterday, but he still has access.

Shouldn't the user had automatically been removed from the paid subscription and membership level after the membership expired after 3 days and when PayPal did NOT charge him a renewal?

The Support Access is Active if you need to go in.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you.

• Nick

Thank you for your help. I look forward to hearing about your test and if Jack knows anything else. But regardless of the test, the fact that in Membership > All Members, the expire columns says the membership expired on 3/31, yet he still has access proves something is wrong, right?

Also, the membership should have expired on 3/30 because the membership purchase was made on 3/27, and the subscription is set to 3 days. So why does the expire date say 4 days after purchase, not 3 like I have the period set to? That could be a second problem, right?

Thank you.

• PC

Hello there Nick,

Thanks for posting back.

I have just made another test as the last one passed and see what goes on.

Here is a screenshot.

Also, the membership should have expired on 3/30 because the membership purchase was made on 3/27, and the subscription is set to 3 days. So why does the expire date say 4 days after purchase, not 3 like I have the period set to? That could be a second problem, right?

The day is counted from the day subscription has been bought. So I set my subscription for one day so the date is shown as April 3rd instead of April 2.

Let me see how the test goes.

Cheers, PC

• Nick

Thank you for testing. I am running another test as well with user "player04012014".

For my original test, under Membership > All Members, my user "player03272014" is still listed as part of the subscription he paid for, and still has the membership level assigned with that paid membership, and the Level Expires column still says the date listed is March 31st, 2014. How can he still have access if he cancelled on March 28th and the column says his membership expired 3 days ago?

Also, can you tell me some of the settings you have on your test Membership site? What do you have set for Renewal Period Limit and Upgrades Period Limit (both under Membership Options > Configuration.)

And for your subscription, what is your Mode and Period set to?

I granted access to my dashboard in case you need to check my settings.

Thank you.

• Nick

Hi again,
    One more question. I see a new version of Membership plugin was released today, version 3.5.1. I read the items that were fixed. Do you think any of these addresses this issue with the expiration not kicking members out of their paid subscriptions?

This is from the change log:

* Fixed: pings don't send when using "Default subscription for registered users" setting
    * Fixed: default membership is not truly added as a subscription http://wp.mu/94f
    * Fixed: date format in settings not being used on subscriptions page
    * Fixed: streamlined PayPal checkout process (will no longer request shipping address or notes)
    * Fixed: PHP warning in free subscription gateway
    * Fixed: when using PayPal Single Payments the member's existing subscription is not being dropped after upgrading

I am hesitant to upgrade because I am in the middle of a test of the cancelling of the subscription, and I am afraid to upgrade while I am waiting to see what happens with the test.

Do you think there is a bug, and it was fixed with this latest release based on what you see in the change log?

Also, please see my questions from my previous post as well :slight_smile:

Thank you as always.

• Nick

Thank you @Jack Kitterhing,

I just upgraded, purchased a membership, and then cancelled it for testing. I will know tomorrow if it worked!

Just so I know, what do you recommend Renewal Period Limit and Upgrades Period Limit (both under Membership Options > Configuration.)? Should these values be different if you have a period of 365 days or 10 days? Or should they always be the same regardless of the period?

• PC

Hey there Nick,

Thanks for posting back.

Let us know how it goes.

Just so I know, what do you recommend Renewal Period Limit and Upgrades Period Limit (both under Membership Options > Configuration.)? Should these values be different if you have a period of 365 days or 10 days? Or should they always be the same regardless of the period?

That really depends on you to be honest.

Upgrades limit controls the time before which a user can not upgrade to a different subscription.

So if you set that to 10 days, a new user on a new subscription can not change their subscription to a different subscription before 10 days.

Renewal period limit on the other hand is to control the renewal button and the value controls the number of days before expiration of the current subscription that a user will see the renew button.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.