Cancelling an event date for a series of recurring events

How do I Cancel a single event date for a series of recurring events without cancelling the recurring event for all of it's dates? (so if there is a rain out or a snow day or an ill teacher?)

The series isn't cancelled, just the one date.

Please advise.

Predrag Dubajic

Hey David,

Hope you're doing well

When you go to edit your event in backend you will see Edit instances link in the sidebar, in the part where you're setting up event date and time.
    Click on that and it will open all your recurring instances, so you can now open the one you want and change the status of it there.

Let us know if that's what you were looking for

Best regards,
    Predrag

David

Hi

I saw the instructions provided. Please you cast see my results: https://www.screencast.com/t/6xjrr6awbLY

What I am finding is that if I go to events and change the recurring event for a specific month, and then go to the calendar at http://www.arizonaartsupply.com/events/ there is no indication on the calendar that this event is been canceled. I have to actually click on the event and go to the event single event post in order to see the words event canceled in red. This is ineffective. How do we make it so that the event on the calendar is either in a different color or has the words canceled in the text or is just removed from the calendar altogether? Something.

As a side note I've also noticed that events that have already occurred do not change color. It would help if they were greyed out as the event has already concluded.

Please advise.

Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

You can do three things to change this behaviour.
    #1 Set your Event to closed instead, that will hide it from calendar.
    #2 Go to Events > Settings > Event Cancellation Settings tab and in there enable "Hide cancelled events" option to hide canceled events
    #3 Use CSS like below one to keep them in calendar but change the color of it:

.wpmudevevents-calendar-event.cancel {
        background-color: red;
    }

As a side note I've also noticed that events that have already occurred do not change color. It would help if they were greyed out as the event has already concluded.

Hmm, previous events should be marked as expired and be removed from your calendar, can you tell me which of your expired events are still shown on your calendar?

Best regards,
    Predrag

David

Hi.

Both issue s are still unresolved. Please review new screencast: https://www.screencast.com/t/kkBLAaGX2vf

An example of an event that has passed is All Media-SC that occurred on July 27. Today is the 28th.

http://www.arizonaartsupply.com/events/

Re. Cancelled events. I added your CSS patch to Custon CSS & JSS ... Events+ Layout and CSS.

This code is set to show expired events as #666 !important but the color does not apply to the cancelled recurring event on November 24, 2017, Paint with Dave.

Please review and advise.

Dimitris

Hey there David,

hope you're doing good today and don't mind me chim in here!

Both issue s are still unresolved. Please review new screencast: https://www.screencast.com/t/kkBLAaGX2vf
    An example of an event that has passed is All Media-SC that occurred on July 27. Today is the 28th.

Previous events are being marked as "archived" and you can use some CSS to either hide them or further style them. For example:

a.wpmudevevents-calendar-event.archived.class {
        display: none;
    }

or

background: #333 !important;
        border-color: #333 !important;
    }

Re. Cancelled events. I added your CSS patch to Custon CSS & JSS ... Events+ Layout and CSS.
    This code is set to show expired events as #666 !important but the color does not apply to the cancelled recurring event on November 24, 2017, Paint with Dave.

I've made a little change in your CSS rule, I've commented out

.wpmudevevents-calendar-event.cancel {
        background-color: #666 !important;
    }

and inserted

a.wpmudevevents-calendar-event.cancel.test {
        background-color: #666 !important;
        border-color: #666 !important;
    }

which seems to do the trick!

Hope that was some help!
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris

David

Hi.

Thank you for your continued participation. There are positive and negative things to report.

First the new negative development: The plugin Custom CSS & JS just stopped working tonight. I made several updates and then it just stopped working. I had to migrate all of the code to the theme's custom css config box located at: Bazar Child....Theme Options...Custom Style as the css still works when applied here.

I created a screencast of the problem: https://www.screencast.com/t/PS1tLlfT.

Note: this is a 2 issue screencast.

Q: do you have any idea why your recommended plugin no longer works?

NEXT ISSUE:

Your code for Archived Events and changing it's color or hiding the event WORKS....but only for the category named .class. the category named .test it does not apply and the code is still red.

NOTE: I duplicated your code 2x one for each category but for my recurring event it does not change the color. Refer to July 2017 for examples of success and failure.

You can see an example of this in the screencast above from time code 2:49 to the end of the video.

Q: can the code be written so that the CSS applies to ALL CATEGORIES? The client will have a dozen categories when it is all said and done and we need a way to have ONE universal standard that applies to ALL categories in the calendar archives.

On a positive note the cancelled recurring class set for September 2017 appears grey as it should. Good job.

I know this is getting to be a cumbersome ticket but if we can address all of the above that will be a great help.

Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

Sorry to hear that the Custom CSS & JS stopped working for you, unfortunately there's not much we can do about it to fix it as it's not our plugin, it's just something that we use to apply custom code to users sites and till now it behaved nicely.
    However, it's even better that your theme already has a custom code fields, you can then remove the plugin and add all the code there, it's always better to have less plugins if your theme already provides the functionality.

About the colors not applying, I had a look at your events page and the colors did show properly for me so it was probably caching that prevented you from seeing the changes instantly.
    Try using incognito mode after making changes as this should show uncached version of the page.

As for the applying the code to all archived events, I commented out the previous CSS that was class specific and added this one instead:

a.wpmudevevents-calendar-event.archived{
        background: #99CCFF !important;
        border-color: #99CCFF !important;
    }

That applies to all archived events, and I tested it straight away and it shows properly for me.

Check it out and let us know if that's what you wanted to do.

Best regards,
    Predrag

David

Hi.

Thanks for the continued participation.

Q: if I am to eliminate the plugin you installed, then where should I migrate EVENTS+ Layout js, installed by WPMU support.

Code:

jQuery( document ).ready(function($) {
        $('#wpmudevevents-wrapper').addClass('evnt_contr');
    });

Q: how do we make the CSS universal to all categories and not category specific?

Example: presently I'm duplicating your code for each category of event:

/* You can use some CSS to archive the event as a different color */

}

a.wpmudevevents-calendar-event.archived.test {
    }

If I remove .text or .class from a.wpmudevevents-calendar-event.archived, will the code apply to all categories?

Please advise.

Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

Q: if I am to eliminate the plugin you installed, then where should I migrate EVENTS+ Layout js, installed by WPMU support.

Yes, your theme has JS field as well under Bazar Child > Theme Options > Custom Code > Custom Script panel, so you can move the code there.

Q: how do we make the CSS universal to all categories and not category specific?

If I understand correctly you want to apply the code to archived events only, is that correct?

If that's the case then you can use the code without category name, as I mentioned in my previous response.
    There's still ".archived" class in the selector that I mentioned there, this means that the CSS will apply to all archived events, regardless of the class.

Best regards,
    Predrag