Cancelling Membership Lose Access to Remainder of Subscription

Hello. I am using the Membership plugin for accessing premium content using the PayPal Express Gateway. The Subscription Mode is set to Serial.

I am testing in production, and I set the subscription membership to only $1 with a Period of 3 Days for automatic renewal. I purchased a membership on March 5th and it worked great. After 3 days, on March 8th, PayPal automatically took another $1 payment from me, so that is great as well.

Later in the day on March 8th, I tested cancelling my subscription. So I went into PayPal into My Preapproved Payments, and cancelled the $1 automatic payment. Now, on March 9th (one day after I cancelled my subscription) I logged into my website as the user I just cancelled the membership with and tried to access the premium content. However, I was denied.

Why did this user lose access to the premium content just 1 day after cancelling his membership, even though the Period is set to 3 days? I was told by WPMU that the user would keep his access to the premium content until the end of the next Period, which is set to 3 days, thus he should have had access until March 11th, not just till March 9th?

Can someone please help? This is the 3rd significant issue I am still experiencing with this plugin. I have 2 more open support tickets that require assistance as well. I am hoping all of these issues are fixed soon as my website cannot go live until all of these are fixed. I feel its too late to delete this plugin and go with another provider, so I need these 3 major issues fixed. This is just 1 of the 3 major issues.

Thank you.

• Nick

Hello. There is no way to cancel my subscription. After I purchase a membership in production, while on my website, on the Subscription Page (which is set in Membership Page Options) when I click the "Unsubscribe" button, I get redirected to PayPal and see this error:

The unsubscribe button you clicked is invalid. You can find the status of all subscriptions in 'My preapproved payments'.

So just as PayPal says, I go into My Preapproved Payments and cancel the subscription there.

How else am I supposed to only cancel a subscription (only future payments were canceled) WITHOUT also cancelling the PayPal preapproved payment on PayPal's website? As I said, when going to my Subscription page, all I see is 1 button..."Unsubscribe"....and it sends me to PayPal!

And why am I getting that error when clicking the Unsubscribe button?

Please help.

• Nick

Hi @aristath,

What does it mean when you set these values to 1? Why did you choose 1 for both? As you probably saw, I am auto renewing every 3 days. I am doing this for testing purposes. Once I start promoting this to my audience, all memberships will be for 1 year. So once I change the auto renew to 365 days, what would you make these two values then?

I'm trying to figure out why you chose 1 and 1, and if I had 365 days as the membership length, if you would still choose 1 and 1, or if you would choose something else?

Thank you.

• Nick

Hi @aristath,

No this did not work. I have my membership auto renew cycle at 3 days. I just signed up for a membership today on March 16th, which would last until March 19th. A few hours later I canceled it, and the note on my Subscriptions page says the membership will expire on March 17th.

This is a big problem because eventually I will set my membership renewal to 365 days. If a members cancels his membership after, let's say, 100 days, he should still be able to access his account for another 265 days, not just 1 day after cancelling.

Can you explain more in detail what "Renewal period limit" and "Upgrades period limit" does? What would the values be on a 365 days renewal cycle?

Thank you.

• PC

Hey there Nick,

Sorry for the delay in response here. Ari has been away for some person reasons and I am in for him.

This is a big problem because eventually I will set my membership renewal to 365 days. If a members cancels his membership after, let's say, 100 days, he should still be able to access his account for another 265 days, not just 1 day after cancelling.

I see. Let me run a few test cases for you and see what is going on there.

Can you explain more in detail what "Renewal period limit" and "Upgrades period limit" does? What would the values be on a 365 days renewal cycle?

Renewal Period Limit : The number of days in advance to show the renewal form on the customers account. That only works if the customer as cancelled the recurring subscription.

Upgrade Period limit : That is the minimum number of days a user has to stay on his chosen Membership level before he can upgrade to a different level.

Now is there any specific membership subscription plan causing problem here ? I would like to test this but before I proceed, I would like to know the current status of the issue !

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.